2022 Brake Fluid Maintenance - Every 3 years?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I had Speed Bleeders on my Mustang, those things were awesome for a one man job

They have many applications, haven't checked if they have some to fit the Ranger
Sponsored

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
I built a pressure bleeder from a garden sprayer 6 years ago and it still works like a charm. I can flush and refill the whole car in under 2 hours start to finish. The key with the pressure bleeders IMO is to use them dry. Putting fluid in them just makes a mess. You just have to keep an eye on the reservoir level.

Pressurize the reservoir, put a clear tube on the bleeder, open/close till no bubbles, tighten bleeder, then on to the next.
20160817_203904.jpg

Brent44

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 4x4
Occupation
Service Consultant
Every auto manufacture I have worked for over the past 30 years has required brake fluid replacement at some interval. Most being 3yrs regardless of miles. Brake fluid being hydroscopic and regularly exposed to extreme temp variations makes it a no brainer. Only reason to leave it off a maintenance interval is to save precious "cost of ownership" $$$

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
This isn't a Ranger specific thing.

All cars need their brake fluid "changed" every 2-4 years or so. A more humid, rainy, or snowy climate means a larger chance of moisture to get into the brake system. In a place like Arizona you can probably go 3+ years.

As mentioned brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water, and water doesn't handle heat nor pressure as well.

Water obviously loves to cause rust and corrosion.

https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/how-and-when-change-your-brake-fluid

Haynes says 2 years, but there isn't a magic number, so follow what your manufacturer tells you, and if like you pointed out, your manufacturer doesn't state a change interval, I'd go 2-3 years.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Our 2018 Ford Escape doesn’t have it in the manual about brake fluid change (but had it done around 50k km anyways). But yes my 2021 Ranger manual says to change the brake fluid change every 3 years as well.

OP
OP

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
My original question wasn't really about whether it should be done, but more about why Ford called out this vehicle differently than most. I've got 2 other Fords and have had several others over the last 10 years and none had this listed as a maintenance requirement.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
The norm is every 2 years. So you're doing better with the 3 year interval.
My last few Subarus (2016-2021) all specified a two year interval on brake fluid changes. Three years from Ford is better :)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My original question wasn't really about whether it should be done, but more about why Ford called out this vehicle differently than most. I've got 2 other Fords and have had several others over the last 10 years and none had this listed as a maintenance requirement.
For what ever reason Ford forgot to list if for the other vehicles. Simply put it should be done regularly

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
This is what I use. The last truck I did it on was a GMC 1/2 Ton (different cap). The shop manual didn't even call out the ABS system bleed for a normal brake fluid exchange, only repair procedures. If you get air in the ABS block, something probably got away from you.

https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Pressure-Clutch-Bleeder/dp/B00CJ5DZE2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=169MMIHWYJHKY&keywords=brake+bleeder+kit+ford+ranger&qid=1651882901&sprefix=brake+bleeder+kit+ford+ranger,aps,137&sr=8-2
Sigh this thing doesn't work. Wrong cap. I pressurized it ready to bleed with forscan and all and it doesn't get over 5psi before the cap flies off and sprays brake fluid everywhere. Mother F!

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
My brake master cylinder reservoir cap is a 1.75" screw on design. Ranger is XLT MY 2020. It takes the Motive 1100/1109 cap.

Is Ford playing fast and loose with parts?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My brake master cylinder reservoir cap is a 1.75" screw on design. Ranger is XLT MY 2020. It takes the Motive 1100/1109 cap.

Is Ford playing fast and loose with parts?
The cap I have with the kit I bought is an 1107. I measured mine too and suspected the 1100/1109 is what I need.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/pages/caps

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the right cap. It pressurizes...but only air. If you try doing brake fluid in the bleeder it blows out around the cap and leaks.

That being said you shouldn't use the pressure bleeder that way anyway. Someone else on the forum said the same thing. The reason being the ABS bleed procedure can't really be done according to the program. It wants you to pressurize the reservoir, open both front caliper bleeders and leave them open while you run the ABS bleed, which takes 25 seconds. That would blow out all my brake fluid, old and new. And then repeat for both rear calipers. I can only surmise Ford techs have a pressure bleeder with a gallon+ of brake fluid in it so they don't care. I had the replacement amount of a liter.

So I did a sorta half-ass job. ABS bleed one front caliper, then regular manual bleed the other, ABS bleed one rear caliper, then manual the other. That being said I did flush the system completely and when I drove the truck it has better, firmer braking then it has ever had. Really nice. So I guess that means the Ford techs do a quarter-ass job.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was already thinking about performing the bleed in a very similar manner, I think you took the logical approach.

I usually start by bleeding the passenger rear line, then move to the driver rear, then passenger front, and finally driver front. But with all the electronics involved in every aspect of operation, it seems impossible to use ald school logic.
Sponsored