3 years / 30k miles - Shop says I need to flush brake and coolant, is this true?

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
It seems early in its life to already need to flush the fluids - but from what little I could find on the forum, one person said the brake fluid can absorb water and yes needs flushing 'regularly'.

Dealer quoted 400$
Sponsored

Last edited:

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
It's not on the maintenance schedule I don't believe, I'd ask to see where it says that and is it required for warranty ?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Brake fluid makes sense. My Subaru requires it every two years. I did the first time at three years, but now do it every two years. I have not confirmed the Ford schedule.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about the brake fluid but the coolant has either a 100k or 200k life expectancy, depending on whether you have the orange (100k) or yellow (200k).

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
First off look in the maintenance section of the owners manual. Engineers like @P. A. Schilke spent a lot of time and money figuring that stuff out.

As for my personal experience coolant should be fine, brake fluid on the otherhand may be a different story.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
First off look in the maintenance section of the owners manual. Engineers like @P. A. Schilke spent a lot of time and money figuring that stuff out.

As for my personal experience coolant should be fine, brake fluid on the otherhand may be a different story.
My 2020 manual (v2) says to change the brake fluid every three years (page 417).

Oscar Grouch

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Occupation
Engineer
Do you do any deep water fording very often? Unless your brakes regularly are submerged for extended periods of time (more than just dropping a boat in the water), then the brakes should be fine. Coolant is fine either way.

TL;DR Waste of money.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
First off, $400 is gouging you for these services. Secondly, the coolant should be good for *at least* 100K miles (and possibly 200K, as others have pointed out). The only reason you'd need to flush coolant this early in your truck's lifespan is if it was somehow contaminated by something catastrophic like a blown head gasket.

Finally: flushing brake fluid is not a hard job at all - if you have some jack stands and a few hours on a weekend, you can easily DIY and save a bunch of money. Heck, for what they probably want just to bleed the brakes you can buy all the tools / supplies you'd need to DIY, then you have it all for next time and still have saved money.

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Ok explains why I couldn’t find any tangible evidence on what they are saying is “recommended”.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It's their recommendation for lining their pockets.
On the coolant yes, the brake fluid not so much. One member has already confirmed that brake fluid should ve changed every 3 years as per the maintenance manual provided by Ford

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I've always asked them where that schedule is in the owners manual...especially with my "I'm an old redneck and work outside" voice. I get a dirty look. :)

One of the main reasons why I always go instead of letting the wife or my mom take their cars in for maintenance as I take care of most of it myself.