2022 Brake Fluid Maintenance - Every 3 years?

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Just read the owner's manual for my new 2022 Ranger and noticed that a 3 year brake fluid change is listed as a normal maintenance item. This is a very odd requirement for a modern car, especially a Ford. Does anyone have any idea why there is such a requirement?

1651838512875.png
Sponsored

OP
OP

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning that it absorbs water over time which will ruin brakes.
Absolutely true, but the last 9 Fords I owned did not have brake fluid as a maintenance item. I'm trying to figure out what's different about this truck. Most other cars that have a requirement for brake fluid exchanges have it at a less frequent interval.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I think every vehicle I have owned in the last 40 years have had some kind of service interval for brake fluid. Doesn't mean it got done on schedule, but the schedule was there for me to disregard.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I have always used 3 years as my brake fluid change interval, but I have noticed manufacturers are all over the map with their interval recommendations. I think businesses that make their money doing it all pretty much all recommend 2 years, but I have always assumed that was a P&L based recommendation.

I would have to assume any owners manual that leaves brake fluid exchanges off their maintenance recommendations had the interns write that manual.

nate237

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Solutions Architect
It's becoming more common for manufacturers to specify brake fluid replacement. I know it made a difference on my F150. Brakes felt better and the old fluid looked pretty bad, but it was 6-7 years old.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Anyone done this themselves? It's easy on old cars but on new sometimes the ABS module traps air. My last truck with ABS was impossible to bleed completely.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Anyone done this themselves? It's easy on old cars but on new sometimes the ABS module traps air. My last truck with ABS was impossible to bleed completely.
I go with the turkey baster fluid out of the master then fill it with clean fluid. Then go with a really long process of bleeding the hell out of each brake while topping off the master constantly. Drain it via the bleeder valves but never let the master or abs pump get air in it.

Doesn't get it all but gets most I think.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I go with the turkey baster fluid out of the master then fill it with clean fluid. Then go with a really long process of bleeding the hell out of each brake while topping off the master constantly. Drain it via the bleeder valves but never let the master or abs pump get air in it.

Doesn't get it all but gets most I think.
Yeah that's what I normally do too. I use the hand pump bleeder.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Brake fluid is a normal maintenance item, its just that no one usually listens to the maintenance list since you know "maintenance is a scam". Well that is what people try to claim at least. Put simple brake fluid will break down and degrade over time. It is best to do it every 3 years or every 30,000 miles. Why? So you dont get the super silly spongy brake pedal(way worse than from the factory).

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
This is what I use. The last truck I did it on was a GMC 1/2 Ton (different cap). The shop manual didn't even call out the ABS system bleed for a normal brake fluid exchange, only repair procedures. If you get air in the ABS block, something probably got away from you.

https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Produ...=brake+bleeder+kit+ford+ranger,aps,137&sr=8-2

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Get a vacuum brake bleeder and use an air compressor, it will save you loads of time.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Get a vacuum brake bleeder and use an air compressor, it will save you loads of time.
To an extent yes. It would actually be better to get speed bleeder for all 4 wheels. Crack one open with a hose coming off and simply pump the pedal until it's clean. Close it and go to the next. Make it a nice one person job.
Sponsored