My long winded one year review of 5th Gen Ranger ownership

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
when you look at the disclaimer....you have to put on your big boy pants and realise you're in control of your actual mileage. they perform a standardised test. no one drives to that standard.
this is never a guaranteed number, and if you think it is....change your way of thinking.
1643306265656.png

https://fueleconomy.gov/

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2022.pdf
Read that small print...$2.55 per gal :crackup: Haven't seen that in years. Our beautiful government and their EPA/DOT :facepalm:

Also, FWIW, I do not use the auto/stop feature on any of our vehicles that have/had it. The 3-4MPG you will save a year...that causes a bigger strain/wear on the starter, battery, pistons, etc.....I don't care how computerized it is....its just one more thing to go wrong and give the auto makers their carbon credits. I'm sure this has been discussed on this forum before.

I'm new here, and enjoy all the "experienced" R5G discussions. While I came from owning mainly Japanese brands for many years, and enjoyed the reliability of those vehicles, I always wanted an actual TRUCK! Not a soft plastic wrapped SUV thing, but a metal (aluminum is still ok) truck! Been looking for several years, watching videos, lurking on forums, etc. Was really glad the Ranger came back. This is more my speed/size truck that I hope to enjoy for a while ?

Want to thank the OP's review. I like hearing all the pluses and minuses from a no BS perspective. I also want thank everyone who has responded to my questions thus far. Everyone here seems really nice and willing to help. Thanks again :rockon:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Beware: Long winded, honest review

On January 16th 2021 I took delivery of my brand new 2020 Ford Ranger 501a Lariat Sport FX4. I was so excited and shocked that I was so blessed to own such a nice vehicle. Every single thing I loved and was smitten. This stage is called “The honeymoon stage” This stage normally doesn’t last very long… or so I thought. I’ll go over, to the best of my ability, my thoughts on the 5th Gen Ranger from most important to least.

1. Safety: 9/10
This truck has blown me away with how much less drama is involved with my daily commute and road trips. The adaptive cruise, blind spot monitors, active braking, lane keep and driver alert all have worked very well. Visibility is excellent!

Cons- steering assist with copilot tends to bounce the truck in between lanes, auto start stop can be annoying at times and prematurely start or stop at lights. Reverse cross traffic is very, very sensitive.

2. Reliabiliy: 9/10
My Ranger has not missed a beat mechanically. No warning lights, no weird gas in oil. Only tire rotations and oil changes so far. So not much to talk about, which is a good thing.

Cons: None

3. Comfort: 7/10
This truck is amazingly comfortable, especially for it’s class. Seats are wide and well cushioned, seating position is perfect for me at 6’2”. Power seats are a must. Rear seat (crew cab) room is good and seats are properly cushioned for smaller (less than 6ft) people for sure. Materials (Lariat) are among the nicest in its class but there are some cheap plastics that could have at least had a different texture and it would improve feel/look. I think every Ranger should have the magnetic, gloss finish dash that’s standard on Lariat trim

Cons- Ride quality stock was just ok… Rear end was bouncy and busy from day one. I solved this with a set of fox shocks out back. Even with leveling kit, it rides and drives like a dream now. Rear shocks should be your first upgrade if you buy one of these trucks.

4. Performance: 9/10
My ranger felt like a rocket ship when I test drove it. The torque from the ecoboost 2.3 I4 and 10 speed automatic make for non stop smiles. This truck is faster than 80% of vehicles around here. It’s more than enough power for anyone in my opinion. I since added the Ford Performance pack 2 tune and filter, MBRP dual exhaust and she screams. Runs mid-low 13’s 1/4, 0-60 in the 5 second range.

Cons- None

5. Fuel Economy: 6/10
My particular truck and daily route is in town, with that said, for the performance this truck delivers I think the economy is acceptable. But larger trucks get similar numbers these days. Best mpg 23.1mpg.

Cons- Level these trucks And put larger tires on and kiss your great mpg’s goodbye. With my current setup (33’s, leveled) I average 18.1 city, 20.2 highway.

6. Design/Styling: 6/10
The Ranger design and exterior styling in stock form leaves a bit to be desired, but with some simple enhancements, this truck can be very attractive. Fit and finish on my truck are great but other have hood and bumper alignment issues.

Cons- Wheel offset is just awful in stock form. I’m sure it’s for economy, but it looks like the body of the ranger is not even on the correct chassis underneath. The tires are a size too short from the factory (again- fuel economy I’m sure). Looks like a monkey humping a football. Body lines are too bubbly. I prefer squared off muscular lines and lights. I’m not sure what they were thinking with the massive tail lights and the hood jumps too. It’s like a Ford Fusion and F150 made a baby. I remedied this with RC leveling kit, Fuel 17x8.5 +6 offset wheels, RC fender flares, tremor/red accents and Air Design parts. With this stuff done I give it a solid 8/10

7: Towing: 8/10
This thing is a beast power wise, trailer away is minimal. Tow mode makes all the difference as 9th and 10th gear are omitted.

Cons- why on earth a trailer brake control is not an option for this truck baffles me. 7k tow rating and no power brake control option? Hell, the Maverick has one on a 4K tow package. -2 points just for that.

8. Offroad Capibility: 7/10
In stock form… just not the best. Offroad ride is bouncy and ground clearance on stock tires is not enough. WITH THAT SAID- I still have never gotten this truck stuck or damaged anything while wheeling… but I also have done most of my wheeling after my 2.5” level and 33” BFG’s. The FX4 package is nice for the skid plates, locker and offroad cruise control but the shocks are hot garbage.

Cons- Bouncy ride, shocks are garbage. Ground clearance stinks at stock height/stock tires, no front trail camera.

Final thoughts:
The more I own this truck, the more I love it. My truck MSRP was $45k, but I paid $36k for it which is more in line of where I think it’s worth anyway. After a year I revisited a few new trucks and test drove them and hands down the Ranger is still my favorite. Biggest reason is size. It’s the sweet spot in between old compact pickups and the new gigantic full size trucks of today. If you want comfort, excellent driving experience, a truck bed and towing capabilities that will fit in your garage and is easy to park… the Ranger does it better than any other truck available today.

Total irrelevant weird score: 61/80
Electric brake controller on my tow package only added 703$ at my dealer. Too dangled much. Works, however!

olyeller

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD FX4, 2019 Challenger R/T
Occupation
Retired
I just finished a cross country trip in my 2021 Laiat FX4 Screw, fully equipped, Washington to Florida. I’ve had the truck since August and it now has almost 10,000 miles on it. Mine is not modified except for a Snugtop topper. The weight of the topper made the ride much less bouncy so I don’t feel a need to upgrade my shocks. According to my lie-o-meter I have averaged 20.5 MPG since new. It did better when I keep the speed around 60-65. In Texas where the limit was 85 and I did hit triple digits a few times when passing, it dropped a lot. This Ranger fits my needs perfectly. It fits nicely in my garage and the bed is big enough for my needs. I haven’t towed yet but probably will next summer when I get a boat. (I live on an island in the PNW). Not looking for a hot rod or an off road beast but it’s nice to know there is some oomph when you press the go pedal and snow or sand won’t be a problem.

Ford missed the boat not putting in a moonroof, heated steering wheel, or air cooled seats as I would have added them. Going to keep this one a long time! Not one problem so far.

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
In the summer, my bone stock stx SCab with two bikes on the rack and associated mtb gear/cooler in the cab averages 23-25mpg hand calculated over a whole tank on my 25 mile each way commute. Its a 55mph speed limit winding Maine back road with one stop sign on the whole drive. I have a tonneau cover as well. Driving the truck from Maine to Utah with the same two bikes on the rack and the bed full of totes with ski gear, 6 pairs of skis, clothes, kitchen stuff etc. (tonneau cover still closed) I get 22-23 hand calc with the cruise set at 70. I have seen as high as 26mpg hand calc but I must have had a good tailwind, with a headwind driving up to the rockies its more like 20mpg. Around the city of salt lake and up the canyons I get about 19-20mpg hand calc unloaded. I think these numbers are very close to the epa estimate of 20 city 24 highway. I tend to stomp on it a lot more around the city just because its what you have to do to stay with traffic, but I would describe my driving style as very smooth. I hate jamming on the brakes.

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Regarding the auto start/stop. Bought a new Malibu in 2012 (2013 model) it's the ECO model and has this feature. 95K miles on it now and mostly in-town miles with many thousands of start/stop cycles. No way to disable the feature that I know of but I can say that there's been no issues of any kind involving the system.
That being said, I am glad I have the option to disable it on my new Ranger.

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase

On January 16th 2021 I took delivery of my brand new 2020 Ford Ranger 501a Lariat Sport FX4. I was so excited and shocked that I was so blessed to own such a nice vehicle. Every single thing I loved and was smitten. This stage is called “The honeymoon stage” This stage normally doesn’t last very long… or so I thought. I’ll go over, to the best of my ability, my thoughts on the 5th Gen Ranger from most important to least.

This truck has blown me away with how much less drama is involved with my daily commute and road trips. The adaptive cruise, blind spot monitors, active braking, lane keep and driver alert all have worked very well. Visibility is excellent!

Cons- steering assist with copilot tends to bounce the truck in between lanes, auto start stop can be annoying at times and prematurely start or stop at lights. Reverse cross traffic is very, very sensitive.

My Ranger has not missed a beat mechanically. No warning lights, no weird gas in oil. Only tire rotations and oil changes so far. So not much to talk about, which is a good thing.

This truck is amazingly comfortable, especially for it’s class. Seats are wide and well cushioned, seating position is perfect for me at 6’2”. Power seats are a must. Rear seat (crew cab) room is good and seats are properly cushioned for smaller (less than 6ft) people for sure. Materials (Lariat) are among the nicest in its class but there are some cheap plastics that could have at least had a different texture and it would improve feel/look. I think every Ranger should have the magnetic, gloss finish dash that’s standard on Lariat trim

Cons- Ride quality stock was just ok… Rear end was bouncy and busy from day one. I solved this with a set of fox shocks out back. Even with leveling kit, it rides and drives like a dream now. Rear shocks should be your first upgrade if you buy one of these trucks.

My ranger felt like a rocket ship when I test drove it. The torque from the ecoboost 2.3 I4 and 10 speed automatic make for non stop smiles. This truck is faster than 80% of vehicles around here. It’s more than enough power for anyone in my opinion. I since added the Ford Performance pack 2 tune and filter, MBRP dual exhaust and she screams. Runs mid-low 13’s 1/4, 0-60 in the 5 second range.

Cons- None

My particular truck and daily route is in town, with that said, for the performance this truck delivers I think the economy is acceptable. But larger trucks get similar numbers these days. Best mpg 23.1mpg.

Cons- Level these trucks And put larger tires on and kiss your great mpg’s goodbye. With my current setup (33’s, leveled) I average 18.1 city, 20.2 highway.

The Ranger design and exterior styling in stock form leaves a bit to be desired, but with some simple enhancements, this truck can be very attractive. Fit and finish on my truck are great but other have hood and bumper alignment issues.

Cons- Wheel offset is just awful in stock form. I’m sure it’s for economy, but it looks like the body of the ranger is not even on the correct chassis underneath. The tires are a size too short from the factory (again- fuel economy I’m sure). Looks like a monkey humping a football. Body lines are too bubbly. I prefer squared off muscular lines and lights. I’m not sure what they were thinking with the massive tail lights and the hood jumps too. It’s like a Ford Fusion and F150 made a baby. I remedied this with RC leveling kit, Fuel 17x8.5 +6 offset wheels, RC fender flares, tremor/red accents and Air Design parts. With this stuff done I give it a solid 8/10

This thing is a beast power wise, trailer away is minimal. Tow mode makes all the difference as 9th and 10th gear are omitted.

Cons- why on earth a trailer brake control is not an option for this truck baffles me. 7k tow rating and no power brake control option? Hell, the Maverick has one on a 4K tow package. -2 points just for that.

In stock form… just not the best. Offroad ride is bouncy and ground clearance on stock tires is not enough. WITH THAT SAID- I still have never gotten this truck stuck or damaged anything while wheeling… but I also have done most of my wheeling after my 2.5” level and 33” BFG’s. The FX4 package is nice for the skid plates, locker and offroad cruise control but the shocks are hot garbage.

Cons- Bouncy ride, shocks are garbage. Ground clearance stinks at stock height/stock tires, no front trail camera.

Final thoughts:
The more I own this truck, the more I love it. My truck MSRP was $45k, but I paid $36k for it which is more in line of where I think it’s worth anyway. After a year I revisited a few new trucks and test drove them and hands down the Ranger is still my favorite. Biggest reason is size. It’s the sweet spot in between old compact pickups and the new gigantic full size trucks of today. If you want comfort, excellent driving experience, a truck bed and towing capabilities that will fit in your garage and is easy to park… the Ranger does it better than any other truck available today.

Did the swapping of the rear shocks limit the body roll in corners, or would replacing the front coilovers be necessary to accomplish this? Debating rear shocks vs full Ford Performance kit. Thanks

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

Cons- None

Final thoughts:

Still feeling the same way?

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I really wish I could drive a US market Ranger just to compare them to our Ranger. A friend of mine worked for Ford Australia and was involved in the development of the US 5G Ranger and the Ranger Raptor. He said that the US Ranger was very different to drive than our market vehicles, especially in ride.
I can believe that, take a look at the US market springs compared to ours. Pretty sure ours is more stiffly sprung compared to the US version although I still consider it soft riding for a ute. Shame they didn't release the ecoboost engine here, I think it would have sold well in the city. I love my 3.2 diesel, and it is remarkably quiet and smooth for a diesel, and incredibly economical, but a petrol would probably be a better city runner.

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired

Cons- None

Final thoughts:

Nice review. Really didn't even fanboy it till ya got to the power.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Nice review. Really didn't even fanboy it till ya got to the power.
That's another reason I like these forums. I really haven't noticed any fanboys.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I can believe that, take a look at the US market springs compared to ours. Pretty sure ours is more stiffly sprung compared to the US version although I still consider it soft riding for a ute. Shame they didn't release the ecoboost engine here, I think it would have sold well in the city. I love my 3.2 diesel, and it is remarkably quiet and smooth for a diesel, and incredibly economical, but a petrol would probably be a better city runner.
You guys Rangers are nicer than ours I was down there last year for work in Sydney and Adelaide area, I would love to come back but for vacation. The UTEs you all have are awesome.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
You guys Rangers are nicer than ours I was down there last year for work in Sydney and Adelaide area, I would love to come back but for vacation. The UTEs you all have are awesome.
Your always welcome!

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
I agree with your review......awesome truck and hands down 100% better than my previous 2019 Taco TRD OR 4x4 which was a pile of tr*sh with the cr*ppy engine/tranny combo!

I paid $1,000 OVER msrp (I paid $46,770 + $1,000 MARKET ADJUSTMENT but had a $5,000 market adjustment and had to talk them down!!) for my 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor but they gave me $17,500 for my 2012 Taco trd sport 2wd with 140,000 miles on the trade in so I'm happy as can be!......this truck is hands down the best truck I've owned!......BUT -2 points for NO MEMORY SEATS....WTF??!!
Paid $1500 over MSRP for my 2022 XLT..
Sponsored