First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Now one thing I did with my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid was change to non-ethanol gas and got 4-5 MPG better. That ethanol is really not good for mileage contrary to what the government says.
I took a trip to U.P. Michigan a few years ago towing our boat. I think I was getting around 13MPG on the way up. Where we were staying up there, they had pure gas, no corn crap. I was getting around 20 on the way back. Boat ran better on it too.
If only we had non-ethanol around me that wasn't at a marina and twice the cost....
Sponsored

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
With the stock tires and 18's I am only getting 16-17 mpg in town. I did get 23 mpg on a trip to Seattle and back last week at average 75 mph. We have very crappy gas during the winter and my daily trip to work is only 4 miles one way. I did get 18 mpg towing my tent trailer last summer on a couple of trips which I thought was great! One thing about mileage what Ford or Honda or Toyota or Chevy or Dodge no one will ever get what it says on the EPA Estimated MPG. Now one thing I did with my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid was change to non-ethanol gas and got 4-5 MPG better. That ethanol is really not good for mileage contrary to what the government says.
Had a fusion too. Was getting 36-41 MPG lol… nothing to look at but when it costs almost a $100 here in SoCal to fill up… fuck I miss it.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
when you look at the disclaimer....you have to put on your big boy pants and realise you're in control of your actual mileage. they perform a standardised test. no one drives to that standard.
this is never a guaranteed number, and if you think it is....change your way of thinking.
1643306265656.png

https://fueleconomy.gov/

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2022.pdf
I agree. The other 2 things too look at on any window sticker are the gallons per 100 miles, our new CR V is just the opposite 3.4 & also read the disclaimer (actual results will vary for many reasons.

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
Agreed...Even at 65 or 60 it's still 23-24 -- definitely not the 26 mpg highway claimed on the sticker.

I might be able to get 26 mpg at 45 mph :|
I get over 28 MPG on the highway at speeds around 70 MPH and higher. It can be done:

8DB211D3-18F6-40B8-AEAC-8C5CA914EA86.jpeg

Truck has Performance Tune, Borla exhaust, Roush CAI, Mishimoto intercooler / piping kit, aFe intake scoop, GFB DV+ and a VelossaTech Big Mouth scoop. Stock rake with only Fox 2.0’s swapped into the rear. No lift, no level and stock tires (for now). Perhaps all that made a difference.

Last edited:

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I get over 28 MPG on the highway at speeds around 70 MPH and higher. It can be done:

Truck has Performance Tune, Borla exhaust, Roush CAI, aFe intake scoop, GFB DV+ and a VelossaTech Big Mouth scoop. Stock rake with only Fox 2.0’s swapped into the rear. No lift, no level and stock tires (for now). Perhaps all that made a difference.
Nice! :) Even if the trip computer is off (you might have calibrated it) it would only be off max 2 mpg. I don't understand why some rangers get such excellent mileage, and other such poor mileage.
I'm starting to think it's a manufacturing issue.
My 97 ranger got 27 mpg highway. It's def not my driving habits...

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
Nice! :) Even if the trip computer is off (you might have calibrated it) it would only be off max 2 mpg. I don't understand why some rangers get such excellent mileage, and other such poor mileage.
I'm starting to think it's a manufacturing issue.
My 97 ranger got 27 mpg highway. It's def not my driving habits...
My speedo and gps match perfectly. Those numbers are legit. As for mileage differences, it’s probably the driver. A lot of folks tend to mash the right pedal to the floor until they mash the left pedal to the floor.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I really wish I could drive a US market Ranger just to compare them to our Ranger. A friend of mine worked for Ford Australia and was involved in the development of the US 5G Ranger and the Ranger Raptor. He said that the US Ranger was very different to drive than our market vehicles, especially in ride.
The Ranger Raptor style you all had in Australia is awesome, mate. I was in Sydney and SA last year and saw bunch of them on the wild. Can't wait for Ranger Raptor to come to US.

OHTREMOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Beware: Long winded, honest review

On January 16th 2021 I took delivery of my brand new 2020 Ford Ranger 501a Lariat Sport FX4. I was so excited and shocked that I was so blessed to own such a nice vehicle. Every single thing I loved and was smitten. This stage is called “The honeymoon stage” This stage normally doesn’t last very long… or so I thought. I’ll go over, to the best of my ability, my thoughts on the 5th Gen Ranger from most important to least.

1. Safety: 9/10
This truck has blown me away with how much less drama is involved with my daily commute and road trips. The adaptive cruise, blind spot monitors, active braking, lane keep and driver alert all have worked very well. Visibility is excellent!

Cons- steering assist with copilot tends to bounce the truck in between lanes, auto start stop can be annoying at times and prematurely start or stop at lights. Reverse cross traffic is very, very sensitive.

2. Reliabiliy: 9/10
My Ranger has not missed a beat mechanically. No warning lights, no weird gas in oil. Only tire rotations and oil changes so far. So not much to talk about, which is a good thing.

Cons: None

3. Comfort: 7/10
This truck is amazingly comfortable, especially for it’s class. Seats are wide and well cushioned, seating position is perfect for me at 6’2”. Power seats are a must. Rear seat (crew cab) room is good and seats are properly cushioned for smaller (less than 6ft) people for sure. Materials (Lariat) are among the nicest in its class but there are some cheap plastics that could have at least had a different texture and it would improve feel/look. I think every Ranger should have the magnetic, gloss finish dash that’s standard on Lariat trim

Cons- Ride quality stock was just ok… Rear end was bouncy and busy from day one. I solved this with a set of fox shocks out back. Even with leveling kit, it rides and drives like a dream now. Rear shocks should be your first upgrade if you buy one of these trucks.

4. Performance: 9/10
My ranger felt like a rocket ship when I test drove it. The torque from the ecoboost 2.3 I4 and 10 speed automatic make for non stop smiles. This truck is faster than 80% of vehicles around here. It’s more than enough power for anyone in my opinion. I since added the Ford Performance pack 2 tune and filter, MBRP dual exhaust and she screams. Runs mid-low 13’s 1/4, 0-60 in the 5 second range.

Cons- None

5. Fuel Economy: 6/10
My particular truck and daily route is in town, with that said, for the performance this truck delivers I think the economy is acceptable. But larger trucks get similar numbers these days. Best mpg 23.1mpg.

Cons- Level these trucks And put larger tires on and kiss your great mpg’s goodbye. With my current setup (33’s, leveled) I average 18.1 city, 20.2 highway.

6. Design/Styling: 6/10
The Ranger design and exterior styling in stock form leaves a bit to be desired, but with some simple enhancements, this truck can be very attractive. Fit and finish on my truck are great but other have hood and bumper alignment issues.

Cons- Wheel offset is just awful in stock form. I’m sure it’s for economy, but it looks like the body of the ranger is not even on the correct chassis underneath. The tires are a size too short from the factory (again- fuel economy I’m sure). Looks like a monkey humping a football. Body lines are too bubbly. I prefer squared off muscular lines and lights. I’m not sure what they were thinking with the massive tail lights and the hood jumps too. It’s like a Ford Fusion and F150 made a baby. I remedied this with RC leveling kit, Fuel 17x8.5 +6 offset wheels, RC fender flares, tremor/red accents and Air Design parts. With this stuff done I give it a solid 8/10

7: Towing: 8/10
This thing is a beast power wise, trailer away is minimal. Tow mode makes all the difference as 9th and 10th gear are omitted.

Cons- why on earth a trailer brake control is not an option for this truck baffles me. 7k tow rating and no power brake control option? Hell, the Maverick has one on a 4K tow package. -2 points just for that.

8. Offroad Capibility: 7/10
In stock form… just not the best. Offroad ride is bouncy and ground clearance on stock tires is not enough. WITH THAT SAID- I still have never gotten this truck stuck or damaged anything while wheeling… but I also have done most of my wheeling after my 2.5” level and 33” BFG’s. The FX4 package is nice for the skid plates, locker and offroad cruise control but the shocks are hot garbage.

Cons- Bouncy ride, shocks are garbage. Ground clearance stinks at stock height/stock tires, no front trail camera.

Final thoughts:
The more I own this truck, the more I love it. My truck MSRP was $45k, but I paid $36k for it which is more in line of where I think it’s worth anyway. After a year I revisited a few new trucks and test drove them and hands down the Ranger is still my favorite. Biggest reason is size. It’s the sweet spot in between old compact pickups and the new gigantic full size trucks of today. If you want comfort, excellent driving experience, a truck bed and towing capabilities that will fit in your garage and is easy to park… the Ranger does it better than any other truck available today.

Total irrelevant weird score: 61/80
Great review and I like the honesty.

Groo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Gainfully umployed 5 Pointed Star
Groo here
How many of you drivers getting lower mileage are running in sport ?????
Run "D" in town to get the start stop workinfg.[you will not believe what that does to the mileage]
When running rural [under 50/55] use sport or tow haul..
This will keep the engine from lugging down.[good for emissions / bad for mileage]
Run "D" on the freeway [over 50] to get into the overdrive gears faster .
Run "cruse" when ever possible , 65 /70 or LESS at all times..
Lastly , this is a "TRUCK" not a sports car, no matter how much fun your having..
PS I get 24/25 most times [not winter ,too much warmup time]
Have seen 27 on freeway.
Truck is 2020 Stx 4x4 with off road and tow options , and a bed cover.
8500miles, OHIO roads ,and 87 gas.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Groo here
How many of you drivers getting lower mileage are running in sport ?????
Run "D" in town to get the start stop workinfg.[you will not believe what that does to the mileage]
When running rural [under 50/55] use sport or tow haul..
This will keep the engine from lugging down.[good for emissions / bad for mileage]
Run "D" on the freeway [over 50] to get into the overdrive gears faster .
Run "cruse" when ever possible , 65 /70 or LESS at all times..
Lastly , this is a "TRUCK" not a sports car, no matter how much fun your having..
PS I get 24/25 most times [not winter ,too much warmup time]
Have seen 27 on freeway.
Truck is 2020 Stx 4x4 with off road and tow options , and a bed cover.
8500miles, OHIO roads ,and 87 gas.
I do all of the above and have gotten poor mileage since the beginning... I get max 23 on the highway even at 65 mph.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Cons- why on earth a trailer brake control is not an option for this truck baffles me. 7k tow rating and no power brake control option? Hell, the Maverick has one on a 4K tow package. -2 points just for that.
I got a shock after purchasing my Ranger in the fall of 2019 specifically for towing our travel trailer to find that Ford had issued a service memo against installing aftermarket brake controllers while not yet having a Ford-approved option available. I was not a happy camper. Fortunately, the Ford option became available a couple of months before camping season began and a crisis was averted. Marketing a truck with "best in class towing" that legally couldn't tow anything more than a U-Haul was a major screw up.

And tow mode doesn't lock out the 9th or 10th gears. Mine spends most of the time in 9th when not on grades or with headwinds, and occasionally will hit the 10th if on a moderate downhill grade.

My mileage (without the trailer) is all over the place, but averages around 20-21. Occasionally I'll get low-to-mid 20s on trips on highways at 60-70 mph.

Beyond that, I concur with your analysis, with the possible exception of not mentioning the tailgate damper.

Last edited:

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I had a leisurely drive on 2-lane country paved roads one Sunday to go look at some horse hay. Not more than 2 or 3 stop lights. There were some long hills to climb. It was about a 30 minute drive one way. It was Summer time. I was in "D" mode. 93 Octane Exxon gas. A/C was on. This was the one and only time I got 31 MPG! In Summer, short drives around town and to work, I averaged 22-23 MPG. Now in Winter, with only warming truck up about 3 minutes and with heater on Auto... I'm only averaging about 17 MPG.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Why do people continue to brag about mileage and then show a dash shot of the computer?

Hand calculated accross an entire tank is the only number that matters. Those computers cannot be trusted. Even if calibrated to be close, they're never exact.

All these fools thinking they get get 28 mpg in their Ranger are pulling the wool over their own eyes.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Beware: Long winded, honest review

7: Towing: 8/10
This thing is a beast power wise, trailer away is minimal. Tow mode makes all the difference as 9th and 10th gear are omitted.

There is a trailer brake option. The max tow on the Ranger without trailer brakes is only 1,650lbs. Now if you are saying it should have been included with the trailer towing package, I agree.

Bumper towing 3,500lbs exceeds the 1,650lbs no brake limit so I have no understanding on why the TBC was not included unless Ford thinks most trailers over 1,650lbs have hydraulic surge brakes. From my exposure to trailers in the RV/car hauler side of things, they are normally electric brakes and require a controller.

Last edited:

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Truck mpg is maximized for the EPA test loop.
Just drive that every day if you want the published mpg.
Simple.
Sponsored