OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
While they are remaining quiet, I'm pretty certain that we have a member here who changes his oil religiously at 500 miles... even if it means doing so on the side of the interstate. Additionally there's another member on here who is changing oil at 25K miles with filter changes at 12.5K, while using some filter that cost $198.62 and is made by NASA.

Mention "oil" in any thread and just sit back. :LOL:

1MjS

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone done a lab test with their old oil to see if anything suspicious shows up? If so, how much did you set aside and who did you use for the analysis? Furthermore, is it worth doing?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone done a lab test with their old oil to see if anything suspicious shows up? If so, how much did you set aside and who did you use for the analysis? Furthermore, is it worth doing?
I was waiting for this...:crackup:

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
I'm glad I kinda have "off" today and tomorrow. I'm already sitting back with a pounder and letting this thread be my entertainment for a good part of the day. Well, until it gets shot straight to h*ll that is . . . . .

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Yes, half the people here think their cheaply made mass produced truck is a race car and need oil analyzed all the time.
Some have fuel in oil, it's a common thing with direct injection engines.
No, I have not tested my oil.
No, it's not worth doing.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
no sir friend, nothing in that oil but oil. dont bother testing it. the oli labs have made enough money off of ranger 5g owners the past few years.
gas in oil....

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use testing to monitor things as well as decide on an oil and change interval to use. I do it with my regular cars, race cars, side-by-sides, tractor, etc.

I got this back last week. Original fill with 2,341 miles on it. I will be running roughly the same interval on the OEM oil I just put in and then swapping to a better oil as I will be using this under higher stresses.

1688428279710.png

Yes, I like data and when I make recommendations or comments, I do it based on data...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, half the people here think their cheaply made mass produced truck is a race car and need oil analyzed all the time.
Some have fuel in oil, it's a common thing with direct injection engines.
No, I have not tested my oil.
No, it's not worth doing.
At our age, it's more important to have our poop tested...the truck will be fine...or not...might want to save up for a transmission or two...

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I looked for a current oil change thread but did not find one. If I missed it and should have posted there versus a new thread, my apologies.

First oil change today. Truck has 6500 miles on it. Was shooting for 7500 miles but have a 1000 mile road trip coming up so did it ahead of time.

Went with Castrol Edge full syn 5W-30 with a Wix XP filter.

Overall not too much of a pain in the ass. Filter was not over tightened. Though I was using a filter wrench so it may well have been a tough job if I had been just bare handing it. But it certainly came off easily.

No spills dropping the oil. No spills from the filter tray/funnel thing combo. But... drum roll.... Definitely a spill from trying to bring the loosened filter out between the various objects in the way. While being careful I dumped about half of the filter contents. 🤬 Words were flying. And it was not the "golly gee gosh darn" variety. This is when the job became a total pain in the ass. Trying to clean that spill out of all the nooks and crannies. Thought I had it all, turned around and saw a fresh drop on the driveway. :surprised: Back under the truck for clean up round 2.

Think I am done now. :fingerscrossed: But the truck is now sitting in the garage with a piece of cardboard under it just in case.

Hopefully lesson learned for next time I change it.
Put a rag under filter before pulling out. But not in the drain line.