John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
So I did my very first oil change on my 21 truck hitting 4k this week . I was a little apprehensive because of guys saying the first oil filter from the factory can be stuck to the block. So I bought this specific filter wrench and believe it was worth it . Some said the factory filter was strangely slightly smaller in diameter than the Motorcraft FL910s replacement - I did not see this either . Motivx Tools 74mm 14 Flute Oil Filter Wrench Compatible with Mercedes Benz, Sprinter, VW, Porsche, Volkswagen, Mazda, and More – Also Fits Select Mobil1, Bosch, Mahle and Other Filters The filter spun off pretty easy thank god.

The little plastic screws that hold the rubber dust shield on are kind of hokey. Removing the skid plate was easy as well. I believe it was a single 15 mm to get the oil plug and 2 fasteners off. Then just loosen the front two skid plate fasteners - no need to remove. I went with the Motorcraft FL910S and the Motorcraft 5w-30 syn blend oil purchased off Amazon .

I was surprised my oil life monitor was only at 63% at 4k miles when I reset it . My oil was "used" - really dark brown in color coming out of the pan here in Florida (heat) -but when I poured out the filter onto some white cardboard it was in fact still brown - used but definitely not black. Just based on color I would say so far the Ford is easier on the oil than my Toyotas with similar mileage . I hit it with a light and saw no shimmering whatsoever.

Its kind of a pain but I will continue to do all my own oil changes on this one as I have on all my other trucks over the yrs simply for piece of mind.
Sponsored

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
My dealership offered me a lifetime powertrain warranty (with seals and gaskets). Only drawback is that I have to have the oil changes done by a certified service center. I may have the dealership change the oil/filter at 10,000 miles, 20,000 miles, 30,000 miles, etc. and then do the 5,000 mile, 15,000 mile, 25,000 mile etc. oil change myself. I just can't bring myself to go 10,000 miles before an oil/filter change. I bought Motorcraft 5W-30 oil and a Motorcraft oil filter at Wal-Mart and it cost me under $30. That's pretty cheap insurance and nothing compared to the $30,000 plus that we spent on our Ranger trucks! It took a while for me to get used to changing the oil every 5,000 miles versus every 3,000 miles!

OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
DRVMN - My dealer I purchased from offered me nothing lol and unfortunately they are 2 hrs away but honestly it was a bad purchasing experience and I should have walked but didnt . I wouldnt use them anyway . I will just do every 5k miles....my last Toyota did 146k and was never in the shop 1 single time with me doing every single oil change myself every 5k miles. Im old school- 10k just seems crazy. FWIW.

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I usually change my new cars oil at around that mileage, because it's cheap insurance. i glad to hear the oil was still relatively good.

I used to change the oil in all of my vehicles. But as I grew more mature (re: old) I found that I can take them to the dealer, grab a cup of Joe, shoot the chit with my sales guy, and 30-45 minutes later I leave the dealer with no oil/grease on me anywhere. :)

OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
I usually change my new cars oil at around that mileage, because it's cheap insurance. i glad to hear the oil was still relatively good.

I used to change the oil in all of my vehicles. But as I grew more mature (re: old) I found that I can take them to the dealer, grab a cup of Joe, shoot the chit with my sales guy, and 30-45 minutes later I leave the dealer with no oil/grease on me anywhere. :)
I hear you - someday I will get to that point too :) ...it seems like every single time too a small spill of sorts happens in the garage lol..... today was no exception - I kicked over a qt and luckily only lost about an 1/8th of a quart haha..... yes was glad to see the oil wasnt black - I just thought turbos were harder on oil in general and expected to surely see it all black . Ps this is my first turbo vehicle ever.

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
So confused as to why so many folks think the oil change interval is at 10k. The manual specifically states every 5k. It does on my 2020 manual anyhow, page 412...?‍♂

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
So confused as to why so many folks think the oil change interval is at 10k. The manual specifically states every 5k. It does on my 2020 manual anyhow, page 412...?‍♂
Quoting from the 2020 manual: "
If your information display resets
prematurely or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at
six months or 5,000 mi (8,000 km) from
your last oil change. Never exceed one year
or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between oil
change intervals"

If the oil monitor isn't working, 5000 is the interval for "better safe than sorry since there's no way to know how the engine has been used". The very next sentence says that the interval can be as much as 10000 miles or one year, if the oil monitor is operating normally.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Read on to page 415...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was surprised my oil life monitor was only at 63% at 4k miles when I reset it . My oil was "used" - really dark brown in color
It's a direct inject engine, the oil will be dark as soon as it leaves the bottle. (This is normal, and oil color has absolutely nothing to do with how much life is left in it.)

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Read on to page 415...
Page 412, "You SHOULD perform the oil change interval at 6 Months or 5k."
Page 415, "Do not exceed 1 year or 10k between service intervals."

While this is open to interpretation, one would think the term "Should" would be the recomended interval. However, we know where assuming gets you...:rolleyes:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

While this is open to interpretation, one would think the term "Should" would be the recomended interval. However, we know where assuming gets you...:rolleyes:
"If your information display resets
prematurely or becomes inoperative
, you
should perform the oil change interval at
six months or 5,000 mi (8,000 km) from
your last oil change. Never exceed one year
or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between oil
change intervals"

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited

Having spent nearly two decades in government and aviation-based enterprises (you know, things that are highly regulated and covered in legal semantics) to me, there's no interpretation. Specific words mean specific things. Taken directly from the FAA's "Plain Language Toolkit":

Must = mandatory
Must not = prohibited
May = optional
Should = recommended

And while Ford isn't the FAA, it's still a highly regulated company with a large team of lawyers that do nothing but argue semantics.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having spent nearly two decades in government and aviation-based enterprises (you know, things that are highly regulated and covered in legal semantics) to me, there's no interpretation. Specific words mean specific things.
Yes, words do mean things. Like "if" means that something is conditional.
Sponsored