jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Great Youtube video from Driving Sports TV.

Enjoy

Frank
ive seen videos like this and coming from a tacoma all i gotta say is offroad the tacoma will win... i love my ranger but the tacoma has more travel and flex then a ranger even when you go aftermarket the tacoma still has more and has true long travel!

them complaining about the locker is dumb thou... the only lockers i know of that activate almost on touch is a arb air locker but even then it takes a second... so you engage it a bit before the obstacle not when you are on it...
Sponsored

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, that " travel and flex" isn't a desirable trait, it's a weak frame nearing failure

download.jpeg-1.jpg
download.jpeg-2.jpg
download.jpeg-3.jpg
download.jpeg-4.jpg
download.jpeg-5.jpg
that is very incorrect lmao... these trucks are 1st gen tacomas with a rust issue in the frame it was a common thing that was recalled.....

the reason the tacoma has better flex and articulation is the suspension geometry and the fact the coilovers are physically longer plus the way the rear shocks are mounted on the outside of the frame allows for more future mods while the ranger is mounted on the inside of the frame

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
maybe next time use the truck thats actually being talked about to be relevant instead of a 20+ year old truck that has hundreds of thousands of miles lmao

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
I have watched several of these videos with the ranger going up against different mfg's and I never knew the ranger was so capable. I don't have the off road package that a lot of these videos use but for the most part my ranger will be a pavement queen, except during deer season. Which is fast approaching and I'll be able to see how it does then. Being smaller than my f150 I should be able to get a little closer to my stand and have less of a walk which is always good ?
If you have 4wd and 4 Lo, you're 95% of the way there. Everything else is purchasable. ...and possibly better than stock. There's an argument to be made the the best way to build the most capable off road Ranger is to start by not paying for all the parts you're about to replace. (i.e. Fx4 shocks & struts)

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
ive seen videos like this and coming from a tacoma all i gotta say is offroad the tacoma will win... i love my ranger but the tacoma has more travel and flex then a ranger even when you go aftermarket the tacoma still has more and has true long travel!

them complaining about the locker is dumb thou... the only lockers i know of that activate almost on touch is a arb air locker but even then it takes a second... so you engage it a bit before the obstacle not when you are on it...
Articulation on the Ranger does leave much to be desired, but I think part of the Taco’s performance is due to the flexy c-channel frame in the rear, which isn’t as robust as the fully boxed (though stiff) frame of the Ranger.
I don’t think it was mentioned but one of the good things with that the ranger can use the locker in modes other than 4lo.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
that is very incorrect lmao... these trucks are 1st gen tacomas with a rust issue in the frame it was a common thing that was recalled.....

the reason the tacoma has better flex and articulation is the suspension geometry and the fact the coilovers are physically longer plus the way the rear shocks are mounted on the outside of the frame allows for more future mods while the ranger is mounted on the inside of the frame
Haha, not even the fanboys on tacomaforum believe that. Let me guess, the drum brakes are just better than disc brakes, too.

If I wanted an outdated, overpriced, underpowered, uncomfortable pickup, I would've bought the Tacoma. My buddy already made that mistake and I know exactly how they compare to my Ranger off-roading. So does he.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Articulation on the Ranger does leave much to be desired, but I think part of the Taco’s performance is due to the flexy c-channel frame in the rear, which isn’t as robust as the fully boxed (though stiff) frame of the Ranger.
I don’t think it was mentioned but one of the good things with that the ranger can use the locker in modes other than 4lo.
Ya it’s flex is pretty piss poor sadly that’s a big bummer I have about it and even doing aftermarket stuff it still won’t compete with a Toyota on flex sadly… I do love the ability to not have to hack my ground wire and use my locker in and mode but it wasn’t to much an issue with my 13

Yes the frame is c channel but you can box the frame in and still flex more then the ranger so the frame isn’t the issue in that but I do hope the next gen is boxed for everyone that gets one
Haha, not even the fanboys on tacomaforum believe that. Let me guess, the drum brakes are just better than disc brakes, too.

If I wanted an outdated, overpriced, underpowered, uncomfortable pickup, I would've bought the Tacoma. My buddy already made that mistake and I know exactly how they compare to my Ranger off-roading. So does he.
You are the dumbest person I’ve met lmao

you think I like drum brakes? Man I hated those damn things with my 13 lmao hell I hate them with my 98 civic!

But here is the thing your ranger will never out flex a tacoma bud you are legit a full on ford fanboy and it’s pretty obvious lmao

the ranger is a great truck but here is the facts if I spent the same money with the same mods on the ranger as I did on my tacoma it wouldn’t out perform the tacoma sorry it’s just not going to happen…

i wheeled with Jeeps on 37s in my tacoma and beat the ever living piss out of it so I know a thing or two about what these midsize trucks will do and the ranger is a great little platform but it does not have great articulation

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Here is one persons view on the frame flex. NA pickups aren't designed to flex anymore. Tacoma will always win that battle. Thoughts to ponder. In case in wasn't mentioned, I drove an '11 Tacome from new, till just this January. I had the Icon spring pack added to the rear, and had Bilstein 6112's in the front. I was running Icon shocks; fronts w/ coils, and height adjustable, and rear reservoir. The rears crapped out in a couple of years, no doubt due to our winters (salt), and the drivers side front had the coil snap on my way to work.

Frank

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Same here factory mud flaps. Used ford points for those and an engine cover.
He has a Tremor. No factory flaps for him.
1389887782000-soup-nazi.jpg

Frank

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here is one persons view on the frame flex. NA pickups aren't designed to flex anymore. Tacoma will always win that battle. Thoughts to ponder. In case in wasn't mentioned, I drove an '11 Tacome from new, till just this January. I had the Icon spring pack added to the rear, and had Bilstein 6112's in the front. I was running Icon shocks; fronts w/ coils, and height adjustable, and rear reservoir. The rears crapped out in a couple of years, no doubt due to our winters (salt), and the drivers side front had the coil snap on my way to work.

Frank
i mean... its icon what do you expect lol they are kinda known for meh quality stuff

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
how do the tremor steps clearance compare to the standard running boards?

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
how do the tremor steps clearance compare to the standard running boards?
ummm honestly i kinda wanna know also lol

my guess is they are like the predator steps toyota sold for the pro models and such where its a low sitting hoop to put your foot into but idk

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I may be wrong here but I think a lot of the comments about the Ranger flex not being as good as the Tacoma is likely due to the mono-leaf where the Tremor has Multi-leaf springs in the back.

I know the lower control arms on the Tacoma seem to have different angles and such. I think where Toyota has the Ranger beat is in their tech/crawl mode but I am not super familiar with it other than watching reviews rave about it.

Stock for stock is one thing, aftermarket is just limited to your budget.
Sponsored