First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CSR
The dealership has an aftermarket Red Arc controller they would install but this one is directly from Ford and says it's the only Ford approved controller. They say warranty shouldn't be an issue but would I have any warranty issues by having them install the Red Arc at a couple hundred bucks cheaper?

Part No: VKB3Z2C006A
RANGER 2019-2023 TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL TOWING PACK 2
Profile:Standard
Catalogue:FLA
Instruction sheet:Click Here

$339.00

1674528512204.png
Sponsored

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
You shouldn’t, but technically any modification from stock can void a warranty claim if not installed properly.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
The dealership has an aftermarket Red Arc controller they would install but this one is directly from Ford and says it's the only Ford approved controller. They say warranty shouldn't be an issue but would I have any warranty issues by having them install the Red Arc at a couple hundred bucks cheaper?

Part No: VKB3Z2C006A
RANGER 2019-2023 TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL TOWING PACK 2
Profile:Standard
Catalogue:FLA
Instruction sheet:Click Here

$339.00

1674528512204.png
You should get the Ford approved brake controller. It is the only one that will apply the trailer brakes during automatic emergency braking events. You should be able to get it for about $260.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Redarc was sold and installed by Ford dealers as the factory brake controller for Rangers at least up to 2021, which I had installed.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Redarc was sold and installed by Ford dealers as the factory brake controller for Rangers at least up to 2021, which I had installed.
The Ford kit contains the Redarc controller, a Lumen center brake light adaptor module, and a wiring harness. The Lumen module converts the center brake light signal so it can be used by the Redarc controller as a brake light input. This module causes the trailer brakes to be applied during automatic emergency braking. The Redarc controller by itself, does not.

Last edited:

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Just grab one of these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Redarc/331-TPSI-003.html

And install the Redarc tow pro elite.

I'm not sure where the disinformation comes from about AEB (that Putin fella sure is wiley), but any time your brakes are applied, your trailer brakes will be too.

Edit: it's not clear on that site, but that thing is basically just a bung that shoves into one of your 12v sockets. Makes it easy to run the wires without drilling. No need to pay anyone to install any of this for you, it's totally plug-and-play. The controller Ford is trying to sell you is just the Redarc, plus margin. There is no difference.

To recap: Russian disinformation bad, being able to stop your trailer good.

Last edited:

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Just grab one of these:

I'm not sure where the disinformation comes from about AEB (that Putin fella sure is wiley), but any time your brakes are applied, your trailer brakes will be too.

Edit: it's not clear on that site, but that thing is basically just a bung that shoves into one of your 12v sockets. Makes it easy to run the wires without drilling. No need to pay anyone to install any of this for you, it's totally plug-and-play. The controller Ford is trying to sell you is just the Redarc, plus margin. There is no difference.

Wrong, ask me how I know

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Here are the instructions for the Ford Trailer Brake Controller Kit - Ford (VKB3Z-2C006-A). Plug and play.. sure.. but you'll be hauling out panels, etc.. best if the dealer breaks and replaces.

Frank

Attachments

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ENGINEER
The Ford kit contains the Redarc controller, a Luman center brake light adaptor module, and a wiring harness. The Luman module converts the center brake light signal so it can be used by the Redarc controller as a brake light input. This module causes the trailer brakes to be applied during automatic emergency braking. The Redarc controller by itself, does not.
Mine is fully functional, including ACC and AEB while towing, two years going now.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Just grab one of these:

You are not correct on this. When AEB is activated, the truck brake lights will come on, but the brake pedal switch will not be active, so the trailer brakes will not activate using only the Redarc controller without the Lumen module. Your trailer will not have any brakes during an automatic emergency braking event.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
You are not correct on this. When AEB is activated, the truck brake lights will come on, but the brake pedal switch will not be active, so the trailer brakes will not activate using only the Redarc controller without the Lumen module. Your trailer will not have any brakes during an automatic emergency braking event.
Sometimes people just don't get it. I have said the same on many posts here and on several You Tube videos that show how to install a TBC on a Ranger.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ENGINEER
Thanks everyone. Going with the Ford part and having it installed at the local dealership.
Not cheap but you will have warranty and functional peace of mind!!!

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
@Jason B

Any chance you have another link to the youtube video you reference below?

Just found a comment on the etrailer | Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2019 Ford Ranger - YouTube to add clarification(or confusion) about the TBC needing the CHMSL. I highlighted the concerning part .

"
Will Spears
3 months ago
2020 Ranger is identical. I'd like to correct some information here as well. The Ford "OEM" TBC is of course the same Redarc unit. But, due to an engineering oversight, the Ford version requires an additional module. The "Stock" Redarc unit is not able to apply trailer brakes during automatic emergency braking conditions, because the wire under the dash does not provide a braking signal during that. The trailer brakes only will apply when the pedal is pressed. The Ford OEM one includes a LUMENS LED ECU module, which pulls a signal from the third brake light, as the light turns on during all braking conditions. If you don't go with the Ford OEM version, keep this in mind.
The Redarc is a great unit, I just wish Ford didn't drop the ball on their execution. I'm not saying this to start arguments, I just want you all to be informed. If you have any further questions I'm happy to answer here or in my DMs. I don't work for Ford, I'm just someone who researched extensively."