First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
So, if I get the Tremor, the first thing to do is take off those steps (which I never liked anyway)...

Thanks for posting! Great video!
You can just remove the step part itself and leave the running board type part of it on until you get actual rock sliders. I like the extra insurance of having it there. If it was not for my wife and young boys, I would have taken my steps off. There was a thread in here about it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
I think where Toyota has the Ranger beat is in their tech/crawl mode but I am not super familiar with it other than watching reviews rave about it.
That's interesting, as IIRC, I've seen that Fords Trail Control, seems to get better reviews than the Toyota crawl mode.

Frank

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting, as IIRC, I've seen that Fords Trail Control, seems to get better reviews than the Toyota crawl mode.

Frank
I was going to say the same thing. Before Ford came out with their version, I think the statement that the Tacoma's crawl mode was a game changer. But Ford surpassed it with Trail Control. Toyota really hasn't kept up - they seem to be content with the status quo and I guess I can't blame them. They are still selling tons of Tacomas so why invest all that money in new technology? The market seems to be telling them it isn't important.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to say the same thing. Before Ford came out with their version, I think the statement that the Tacoma's crawl mode was a game changer. But Ford surpassed it with Trail Control. Toyota really hasn't kept up - they seem to be content with the status quo and I guess I can't blame them. They are still selling tons of Tacomas so why invest all that money in new technology? The market seems to be telling them it isn't important.
There isn't a reason for them to innovate. They sell so many vehicles because of their reliability.

I watched a Ben Hardy video on YouTube where he says one reason toyota doesn't innovate is because they use the Lexus brand to test new stuff and only bring it to Toyota when they are sure it works... He went into how on average Toyota owners keep their vehicles for much longer than Lexus owners do.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There isn't a reason for them to innovate. They sell so many vehicles because of their reliability.

I watched a Ben Hardy video on YouTube where he says one reason toyota doesn't innovate is because they use the Lexus brand to test new stuff and only bring it to Toyota when they are sure it works... He went into how on average Toyota owners keep their vehicles for much longer than Lexus owners do.
I think recent surveys have found that the reality of the "Toyota reliability" is more of a myth than fact at this point. People THINK they are highly reliable but the data shows they are not significantly more reliable than many other vehicles.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I think recent surveys have found that the reality of the "Toyota reliability" is more of a myth than fact at this point. People THINK they are highly reliable but the data shows they are not significantly more reliable than many other vehicles.
You're probably not wrong... I just know I beat the snot out of my tacoma and it ran like a champ, until Toyota bought it back due a frame recall...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're probably not wrong... I just know I beat the snot out of my tacoma and it ran like a champ, until Toyota bought it back due a frame recall...
I'm guessing that was a second gen Tacoma? Those were pretty robust for sure.

The fact that they had a frame recall kind of reinforces what I said though. A "highly reliable" vehicle should not get recalled for frame issues.

IMO, Toyota is really coasting on the reputation they built over prior years that is really not warranted any longer - and they are increasingly not competitive with other offerings - at least in the mid size truck world. All they've done on Tacoma refreshes is minor cosmetic stuff. When I was looking at mid size trucks, I REALLY wanted to like the Tacoma but I couldn't. My brother had been a Toyota fan for 20+ years and traded his in on a Ranger which he really likes.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing that was a second gen Tacoma? Those were pretty robust for sure.

The fact that they had a frame recall kind of reinforces what I said though. A "highly reliable" vehicle should not get recalled for frame issues.

IMO, Toyota is really coasting on the reputation they built over prior years that is really not warranted any longer - and they are increasingly not competitive with other offerings - at least in the mid size truck world. All they've done on Tacoma refreshes is minor cosmetic stuff. When I was looking at mid size trucks, I REALLY wanted to like the Tacoma but I couldn't. My brother had been a Toyota fan for 20+ years and traded his in on a Ranger which he really likes.
It was a first gen - 1998 SR 4x4, literally nothing electric in it. LOL

The frame rust wasn't really even an issue to me, I took it in as a check block, turns out they found rust, called me within 2 days I had a check for 250% of KBB value as it the truck was in great condition. . . it was far from great shape. LOL it had 160k+ miles in 12 years, was on its 2nd or 3rd clutch since I owned it (10 years). but it still did everything I asked of it, and more. I went out one night to rescue a buddy of mine, he got his lifted heavily modified jeep stuck in a mud puddle in the back of a field. I backed into the mud, stopped, he hooked up, I put it in 4-lo 1st gear and just crawled out dragging him backwards.

Before I bought this ranger, I shopped all the mid-size trucks. I prefer the body styling of the gm twins. I really wanted to like the taco too, but I just couldn't get over the dated styling, and the interior that looked like it hadn't been updated since 1995 ;-) I ended with a ranger because of payload, and feature to cost ratio. I wish it had things like 360 cameras, but that's not a deal breaker. And I am really not in love with the bodystyle - it looks like they inflated a ford taurus and put a bed on it LOL but it functions as designed, I am not looking to win any beauty contests or drag races so it works.

Plus, I didn't want to be another taco-bro. they are freaking annoying. almost as annoying as those jeep clowns...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It was a first gen - 1998 SR 4x4, literally nothing electric in it. LOL

The frame rust wasn't really even an issue to me, I took it in as a check block, turns out they found rust, called me within 2 days I had a check for 250% of KBB value as it the truck was in great condition. . . it was far from great shape. LOL it had 160k+ miles in 12 years, was on its 2nd or 3rd clutch since I owned it (10 years). but it still did everything I asked of it, and more. I went out one night to rescue a buddy of mine, he got his lifted heavily modified jeep stuck in a mud puddle in the back of a field. I backed into the mud, stopped, he hooked up, I put it in 4-lo 1st gear and just crawled out dragging him backwards.

Before I bought this ranger, I shopped all the mid-size trucks. I prefer the body styling of the gm twins. I really wanted to like the taco too, but I just couldn't get over the dated styling, and the interior that looked like it hadn't been updated since 1995 ;-) I ended with a ranger because of payload, and feature to cost ratio. I wish it had things like 360 cameras, but that's not a deal breaker. And I am really not in love with the bodystyle - it looks like they inflated a ford taurus and put a bed on it LOL but it functions as designed, I am not looking to win any beauty contests or drag races so it works.

Plus, I didn't want to be another taco-bro. they are freaking annoying. almost as annoying as those jeep clowns...
Those first gens didn't have a lot of oomph by today's standards, but they sure were bulletproof.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Those first gens didn't have a lot of oomph by today's standards, but they sure were bulletproof.
that they were.

I was young and did a lot of dumb stuff.

I towed a trailer full of quads up and down the mountains of western maryland and up into pennsylvania doing ~75+ mph. my clutch was not happy with me after that. . . I than turned around and drove home the same way . . . that was the first clutch I went through.

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet

Frank
I read that an saw videos of the ford trail control beating other systems. The people that wrote the article said they thought it was from the time Ford owned Range Rover. They think ford raided the the intellectual property bin on that item. Ford rolled some much needed R&D capital into the company an the off road tech is one of the things they got out of the deal.

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
I read that an saw videos of the ford trail control beating other systems. The people that wrote the article said they thought it was from the time Ford owned Range Rover. They think ford raided the the intellectual property bin on that item. Ford rolled some much needed R&D capital into the company an the off road tech is one of the things they got out of the deal.
I watched that too. I don't recall the Youtube channel.

Frank

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was young and did a lot of dumb stuff.
Weren't we all? :crackup: Some days I think back on some of the stupid stuff I did when I was younger and wonder how I'm still around today. Someone was looking out for me.....
Sponsored