Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
No engine cover or hood struts on the Tremor :)
Both removed. The XLT, would never have had an engine cover, and was removed from the Lariat after 2020 MY. The hood struts were removed from all trims (IIRC) for 2022 model year.

Frank

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
So, if I get the Tremor, the first thing to do is take off those steps (which I never liked anyway)...

Thanks for posting! Great video!

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Which wins? :)
My take was the Ranger won, but with a pat on the head for the Tacoma, so it doesn't sulk too much. Both trucks really had no issues. They talked the pros and cons, which I felt the Ranger won. Ease of feature use, better low gear crawl control, instant on demand rear locker, and driver comfort. The steps were an issue, but they did say, they test as purchased... so they kept them on, but acknowledged it would have been better without.

Frank

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
The Taco was $5K more but it has a trail camera system? I would love it if someone had a 360 system like the F150's

LB

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
They were rookies. Anyone that spots and says turn right, no the other right needs to surrender their spotting card. Driver or passenger are the spotters directional commands.

Tremor steps are a clear sign of mall crawlers. Excellent for city duty but absolutely holds back the off road performance of the tremor. They are simply anchors to get you in trouble off road.

Taco put city tires on a off road truck, tremor put rock anchors on their off road truck. They stacked rocks for the tremor in the rock garden where the taco drove straight thru. Taco has side and front view cameras that help off road and the tremor had zero cameras. It was a off-road video comparison so the taco wins with its weak engine.

2024 taco gets a 2.4L turbo with 8 speed trans but my god it looks even more horrible than now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15875

My take was the Ranger won, but with a pat on the head for the Tacoma, so it doesn't sulk too much. Both trucks really had no issues. They talked the pros and cons, which I felt the Ranger won. Ease of feature use, better low gear crawl control, instant on demand rear locker, and driver comfort. The steps were an issue, but they did say, they test as purchased... so they kept them on, but acknowledged it would have been better without.

Frank
Having recently driven a Tacoma , I'm not surprised to hear some of the comments. The Toyota uses a dated tranny and is always searching for the right gear. To me, The Ford drives so much better and is more comfortable inside. It's like driving a sedan offroad!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Taco put city tires on a off road truck, tremor put rock anchors on their off road truck. They stacked rocks for the tremor in the rock garden where the taco drove straight thru.
Take the tremor steps off an put them on equal footing. The Taco didn't have any. I'm sure anyone that's hitting a trail like that will ditch them or replace them with sliders.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
They were rookies. Anyone that spots and says turn right, no the other right needs to surrender their spotting card. Driver or passenger are the spotters directional commands.

Tremor steps are a clear sign of mall crawlers. Excellent for city duty but absolutely holds back the off road performance of the tremor. They are simply anchors to get you in trouble off road.

Taco put city tires on a off road truck, tremor put rock anchors on their off road truck. They stacked rocks for the tremor in the rock garden where the taco drove straight thru. Taco has side and front view cameras that help off road and the tremor had zero cameras. It was a off-road video comparison so the taco wins with its weak engine.

2024 taco gets a 2.4L turbo with 8 speed trans but my god it looks even more horrible than now.
Well too bad every YouTube vid can’t have a knows-more-than-you pro on hand like yourself.

“Turn driver or passenger” huh? I’d love to watch you tryin spot on an off-road trip overseas ?

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Well too bad every YouTube vid can’t have a knows-more-than-you pro on hand like yourself.

“Turn driver or passenger” huh? I’d love to watch you tryin spot on an off-road trip overseas ?
Not a pro. It’s just basic off road 101 entry level spotting that is good for anyone to learn. Left and right gets peeps hurt or rigs damaged. Driver/passenger is the correct way to do it.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager

Considering you have to maintain a line of site with the driver I do not see this as an issue. Pointing works wonders as well.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Considering you have to maintain a line of site with the driver I do not see this as an issue. Pointing works wonders as well.
I know, everyone does "driver/passenger," I just enjoy ball busting when I encounter these arrogant haughty-talking types like him.

seasprite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XL STX
I have watched several of these videos with the ranger going up against different mfg's and I never knew the ranger was so capable. I don't have the off road package that a lot of these videos use but for the most part my ranger will be a pavement queen, except during deer season. Which is fast approaching and I'll be able to see how it does then. Being smaller than my f150 I should be able to get a little closer to my stand and have less of a walk which is always good ?
Sponsored