First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I have a feeling those dealer techs are taking one look at those crimped boots, throwing their hands up and saying “sealed unit” or ”unserviceable“.
It’s really no different than a CV joint boot. I suppose those are unserviceable too! ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
It’s really no different than a CV joint boot. I suppose those are unserviceable too! ?
It’s insane to me that their “transmission expert” came out and told me straight to my face that these trucks didn’t have slip yokes, yet I went under my truck and found it in 30 seconds

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
It is a known problem and I think there is a service bulletin on it already.
I don't think there is a TSB on this (yet?). If there was, it would be easier to get this corrected.
(I did find a TSB for previous generation Rangers)

This is my first Ford. I feel like the dealer will only look at something that is either 1) catastrophically broken, or 2) in a TSB or Recall notice. Unfortunately for me, this sours my opinion of Ford and possibility of purchasing another in the future :(

For the grease PN, see this YouTube video on the F-150 slipe yoke lube job.

If I had a vehicle lift, I'd grease my Ranger myself. If someone does this without lifting the truck, let me know how easy or hard it was please.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys, I did some digging and found the boot kit part number. I will be ordering the below items today and hopefully tackling this job this weekend.

Motorcraft PTFE Lubricant 3 oz. tube (part# XG-8)
Slip Yoke Boot Kit (part# AB3Z4421A)

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
watching.......my servive writer told me at 500 miles on my new 21 fx4 that "all fx4's do that and it's normal". LOL. waiting for a tsb to drop. let's all complain and one will.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
watching.......my servive writer told me at 500 miles on my new 21 fx4 that "all fx4's do that and it's normal". LOL. waiting for a tsb to drop. let's all complain and one will.
Ridiculous lol. I have called corporate Ford a couple of times now. Definitely going to file a formal complaint.

I ordered the parts to do this myself last week and the boot kit is backordered nationwide until mid September.

Reactions: EJH

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
what's so sad is that they told me it would take 2+ days to address the vibe on acceleration - a TSB on that- this thunk- though they said it may go away or may be normal- and a loose trim piece. but no loaners. no rentals. and i have ESP with first day rental. it's crappy. i will just wait till things settle down or right before 1 year 12k is up for the anything goes warranty.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
what's so sad is that they told me it would take 2+ days to address the vibe on acceleration - a TSB on that- this thunk- though they said it may go away or may be normal- and a loose trim piece. but no loaners. no rentals. and i have ESP with first day rental. it's crappy. i will just wait till things settle down or right before 1 year 12k is up for the anything goes warranty.
I would try and find a new dealer. As shitty of an experience as I have had with the dealer I purchased my truck from, they were able to fix my major issue (posted about in a different thread), and even though they are being idiots in regards to the clunking one, they gave me a rental and made sure I had transportation when they were troubleshooting etc to the tune of about 10-12 days in total.

Your truck has 500 miles. I would be asking them for a test drive in a brand new truck to prove to you that it is normal. I would then ask them to grease the slip yoke and show them this diagram if they say "it doesn't have one". See figure 10 for the booth that houses the slip splines.

1629835010057.png

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
well the truck has 3700 miles now but when i first took it for the issue, it had 500 miles. that was like 2 months ago or more now. the clunk/thunk and vibe is not a big deal right now to me but i do want it fixed if it's fixable. just dealing with them is stressful and with the rental car shortage issues even more so. i did look the other day and noticed there are rentals in my area now for 45$ a day versus the 75$ they had them for back then so maybe things are improving. i should call and make an appt for after i get back from my next trip so that way they can have it a week if they wanted without affecting me as long as i get the rental.

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I fixed mine myself today. I bought a $12 bootclamp kit with crimper and a $10 tube of quicksilver spline grease from amazon. It took me about 15-20 minutes. I put a heavy coat of grease on the inner and out splines. The bump feeling I used to get when coming to a stop is gone now.

loosen.jpg

shaft lower.jpg

shaft upper.jpg

crimp.jpg

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I fixed mine myself today. I bought a $12 bootclamp kit with crimper and a $10 tube of quicksilver spline grease from amazon. It took me about 15-20 minutes. I put a heavy coat of grease on the inner and out splines. The bump feeling I used to get when coming to a stop is gone now.

loosen.jpg

shaft lower.jpg

shaft upper.jpg

crimp.jpg
Awesome. Do you have a link to the kit on Amazon?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer

loosen.jpg

shaft lower.jpg

shaft upper.jpg

crimp.jpg
Were you able to do this without lifting the truck? I may go the DIY route also. Thanks.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Were you able to do this without lifting the truck? I may go the DIY route also. Thanks.
I believe you need to jack the rear of the truck up to get the rear wheels off the ground, then put the truck in neutral. Make sure you chalk the front wheels to prevent it from rolling forward.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
This thread made me so mad. Ford is a joke when it comes to servicing their vehicles.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I am the furthest thing from a mechanic, but I swear if the dealership can't do something this simple for me when I leave it with them next, I may have to get my fat ass under there and try it myself. That said, yes. It's maddening when you can't get the dealer to take care of the simple things.
Sponsored