First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XLT 4x4, '17 Fusion Sport
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Greetings all! Long time forum lurker here. I'm hoping someone has an idea on a behavior I've noticed on my 2019 XLT FX4.
When accelerating into a wide turn, like through a large intersection, sometimes acceleration gets bogged down. It's almost like I'm suddenly towing a ton. If I try to push the accelerator more the truck just ignores me. The only way I can describe the feeling is like manually going into a higher gear too at too low a RPM. As I exit the turn, the trans gears down and throttle response returns. I've only ever had it happen when accelerating from stop into a wide turn, never into a rolling turn.

Is this a nanny feature or could it be something else? What is more confusing is, if it is a anti-rollover measure, it's never happened when I've had the tires squealing on a cloverleaf ramp...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Chris, if you have your foot on the brakes while accelerating the nannies will kick in, and reduce your power. I use my left foot to brake, and I learned if I don't get my foot off the brakes while turning it ain't gonna go. Next time it happens look at your screen. It'll tell you "reduced power". It sucks, but there it is.

Welcome to the forum.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like AdvanceTrac intervening.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
This thread is a common phenomenon on here. To me, it sounds like normal behavior. Pay attention to what gear and what RPM this occurs at and you might have your answer. It is most likely a lugging situation. Your comment about "manually going into too high a gear at too low rpm" might indicate that? Just my opinion! If you've ever activited stability control on the truck, it's the same as any other car I've driven where you feel a very quick stab of the brake on one corner of the truck. It works really well.

Edit: I should mention that the stability control only kicks in when you're hauling ass in a corner, pitch the truck into a corner, or understeer in a corner and the truck's brain doesn't like whats going on so it's brakes individual wheels to attempt to get back on a driving line where it thinks traction will be. I would be surprised if that happened at "from a stop" type of speeds. You'd think the trucks computer would not even be capable of activating stability control unless at a certain speed threshold. Idk I'd thats 5mph or 35mph but it's something to consider.

Last edited:

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If the stability control or traction control system activates, the following may occur: • The stability and traction control light flashes. • Your vehicle slows down. • Reduced engine power. • A vibration in the brake pedal. • The brake pedal is stiffer than usual. • If the driving condition is severe and your foot is not on the brake pedal, the pedal may move as the system applies higher brake force. The stability control system has several features built into it to help you maintain control of your vehicle.
Electronic Stability Control The system helps to prevent your vehicle skidding or laterally sliding by individually applying the brakes to one or more wheels and, if necessary, reducing engine power.
Roll Stability Control The system helps to prevent rollovers by detecting your vehicle's roll motion, and individually applying the brakes to one or more wheels.

OP
OP
bad_android

bad_android

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XLT 4x4, '17 Fusion Sport
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Thanks to all for the info.
I agree, it sounds (and feels) like a stability system taking control. Just didn't know if anyone else has experienced it. It is just odd to me that it's occurring at low speeds and, specifically, on wide, gentle turns. I haven't seen any indicator lamps during the loss but it's defiantly possible I didn't notice 'cause it usually happen in the middle of intersections. I'll keep an eye out next time.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all for the info.
I agree, it sounds (and feels) like a stability system taking control. Just didn't know if anyone else has experienced it. It is just odd to me that it's occurring at low speeds and, specifically, on wide, gentle turns. I haven't seen any indicator lamps during the loss but it's defiantly possible I didn't notice 'cause it usually happen in the middle of intersections. I'll keep an eye out next time.
It could be traction control preventing wheelspin. When you turn the vehicle, you unload the inside wheels, and especially in a pickup truck, the inside rear wheel is light;y loaded and prone to spinning anyway, especially the right (in my experience). The traction control is probably sensing the tire breaking loose and either hitting the brake or reducing power, or both.

Find a suitable time and place to experiment and try the same maneuver with traction control on and off. I believe (without having referred to the Owner's Manual...) that there are two levels of Traction control "OFF" as well. I don't remember the details right now, but one level is what happens when you just press and release the traction control button, and there's another level if you press and hold for 5 seconds.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings all! Long time forum lurker here. I'm hoping someone has an idea on a behavior I've noticed on my 2019 XLT FX4.
When accelerating into a wide turn, like through a large intersection, sometimes acceleration gets bogged down. It's almost like I'm suddenly towing a ton. If I try to push the accelerator more the truck just ignores me. The only way I can describe the feeling is like manually going into a higher gear too at too low a RPM. As I exit the turn, the trans gears down and throttle response returns. I've only ever had it happen when accelerating from stop into a wide turn, never into a rolling turn.

Is this a nanny feature or could it be something else? What is more confusing is, if it is a anti-rollover measure, it's never happened when I've had the tires squealing on a cloverleaf ramp...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Normal lame D mode behavior...go S mode...the only time I use D mode is when cruising steady...
Sponsored