2019 Ranger MPGs

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
If it's cold where you're at I wouldn't think that's too bad for break-in mpg. Either way it should slightly improve with more miles, mine did.
Best MPG's will be found when the ambient air temp is right in the middle of winter low and summer highs.
Engines run highest Ef with colder temps, but frictional losses will take net lower.
Engines will run lowest Ef with hotter temps, but that will offset the lower frictional losses and thus take net lower.
The balance will be about the middle of those two. But this is per location, hence why comparing MPG's of same vehicle that drives in different locations is very not valid. The driver in say Chicago needs to compare with other drivers in Chicago.
Sponsored

Cali_Ranger

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Have about 2000 miles on an XL STX 2wd, OEM H/T tires, no bed cover, engine mods, etc. My driving is about 80%/20% highway/city. I have tried 87 and 91 octane and noticed no difference in MPG.

Computer MPG: 21.3
Actual MPG: 20.4

I am disappointed because I drive it easy and the window sticker said 21/26 MPG city/highway. I hope as it breaks in more, it'll get better. We shall see...

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Wow, long thread. Those MPG's are no better than a 1985 Chevy S10. Yes, 35yrs later, all new input controls, turbo's are back, better fuels, and yet 1985 still beats it in terms of MPG's. I suspect nobody is serious about how many MPG's a piston/gasoline vehicle is getting?
Notwithstanding your lack of stating which engine from a 1985 S10 (nor driveline configuration) would be able to achieve an average of 20 MPG, you also likely failed to consider that no 1985 S10 model of any configuration weighs what a 2019 Ranger does nor has anywhere close to the same power output. Not exactly a realistic comparison.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I would argue that the weight is not significant factor when it comes to the standards used to measure mpg's. Aerodynamics is significant, and perhaps contact road friction. 1985 S10 and Ranger don't have significant diff in either of those two areas.

The emissions argument is both relevant and not relevant. Yes, per vehicle emissions are down, but global usage of such vehicles makes overall emissions greater. So it is safe to say technology is not keeping pace with the emissions issue from a practical application perspective. The "vehicle" view is not a good way to look at the problem, because if it was we would all be arguing "what global vehicle pollution issue" because every new vehicle is way better than it was in the past. Or in simple terms, really no great advancements with internal combustion engines. Didn't VW get stung with their BS claim around "clean diesel technology", thanks/credits to CARB in CA for busting them liars.
Weight is a *massive* factor in determining MPG. It affect contact road friction and rolling resistance immediately. These absolutely are significant differences between the '85 S10 and the '19 Ranger. We're not talking about "calculating MPG" either, we're talking about actual miles per gallon used, not any calculations for anything, EPA or otherwise.

Regardless, you missed the larger argument, which is that most engine configurations for the S10 product 2.5-4.5x less power, which accounts for a vast fuel consumption difference, you can't magically make more power without more fuel.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I should also mention that my MPG is now up to 19.9 - but I also use the auto start feature both in the AM and PM and the majority of the time I arrive and the engine has just cut off or just about to - so I'm not about to complain and I enjoy playing with the turbo when I can

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
15.5 calculated mpg, over 1000 miles.

70/30 city /highway

I don’t drive it too hard.

I didn’t expect this to be so low :(

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm very happy w/ my overall avg 18.07MPG.
Most of my trips over the last 2 months have been 2 lane roads 67 MPH for 53 miles and then interstate 82 MPH for 220 miles with an avg of 18.14MPG.
upload_2019-12-20_7-15-43.png

obxmush

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4 501A, Sport Appearance Package
Vehicle Showcase
25.8 mpg on the computer, 24.38 calculated. I have a 42 mile (one way) commute, speed limit 55 mph, 7 traffic lights, flat ground

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I complained about MPGs several times but it seems to be getting better as I add miles. At about 6,000 miles, I'm getting every bit of the EPA ratings and more...and in some cases, much more

Guess I'm lucky

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
According to my Fuelly app mines averaging 21.2 right now. It was averaging closer to 21.8 but it's been colder here and I've had to let it warm up a but longer. Still can't complain with having the 2.5" level kit and larger tires and a few WOT's. :D

motley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger '19 XLT
Getting between 25-26 on the computer, even in 30s-40s temperature. I find that auto start and stop feature really helps during stop lights but you also have to change how you drive. for example, you don't want to continuously inch your way up as that'll disable the feature. Sometimes there would be a car length between me and the previous car, but who cares, light is still red.

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
My truck is showing 18.7 average on the dash display. I have not calculated a full tank fill vs actual mileage yet. I dont usually drive super conservative on freeways, but do tend to be hyper-miling much as possible in city type driving. I have about 1200 miles on it so will start calculating actual trip mileage by hand after first oil change. Hopefully will start seeing some over 20 mpg numbers someday.

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
Everyone should show whether 2wd or 4wd on these posts. Mine is XLT 4wd. May be lucky to see 20 mpg. I have learned over the years to take reported mileage numbers with several grains of salt. I have never in 45 years of driving ever had a vehicle that got the claimed mileage numbers.

So far my Ranger is not getting anywhere near what advertised numbers were. But then I get after it hard on freeways, and I ALWAYS turn off the Auto start-stop nonsense as well. So I am not just freaking out over it at all. My F250 got 12 mpg, so this trucks mileage is still a lot better than that.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I have an XLT 4X4 and I’m getting better mileage than that. The worst I’ve ever averaged was close to 16 but that was on a tank that was almost exclusively city driving. To be fair, I have close to 11,000 miles on my truck. I commute about an hour to work each day in fairly solid traffic in both directions and still get 20-21 a tank based on my calculations at the pump. The computer’s numbers are always way off so I just ignore them.

With straight interstate driving at 70-75, I’ll go as high as 25-26 MPG on a tank.
Sponsored