First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is a lot of nonsense really. I absolutely trust my own math over the ECM and computer itself.

I've been calculating mileage on all my vehicles by hand since 2006. It all depends on how accurate you input your data. if you use the full cost (which has a 9/10 cent cost in most of the US, that is $3.00 is really $3.009/gal), as well as using the smallest measurement you can (thousandths of a gallon, and tenths of a mile), you get very very accurate mileage representations which will very rarely match the computer mileage. Every vehicle I've ever driven has been a bit generous in its calculations. You cannot use more gas than you put in, and you cannot go a different distance than your odometer says (not accounting for tire size or different differences/etc that affect the readings). The "gotcha" to this is that you use the same method to fill your vehicle to help account for variances in temperatures/etc (filling until it clicks, wait 30 seconds, fill again until it clicks and then stop), using the same station/pump as much as possible to account for small variances in pump calculations (weight and measures validations in the states should (and will) catch any egregious dispensing errors that would have a meaningful impact on your numbers).

This is what I was using for my Mustang which gave me tenth of a mile readings for my odometer and trip (which the Ranger strangely doesn't give in either, only whole numbers):

2019-12-27 09_43_28-Microsoft Excel - FuelLogbook.xlsx.png

With my Ranger, I haven't driven much before I shattered my ankle and haven't been able to drive, but the story is roughly the same:
2019-12-27 09_50_34-Microsoft Excel - FuelLogbook.xlsx.png

Ultimately, if you're consistent with your fueling process as well as your recording process (regardless if your spreadsheet is rounding, which it could be while still using "proper" accurate numbers in calculations), you will always have more accurate readings than the computer is currently set to, especially since there's a variable that can be altered to change the way the ECU calculates the mileage display ( https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fuel-calculator-adjustment.2996/#post-38732 ).
Just curios but why not just use the Fuelly app for this? You can input all the same info there and it calculates everything for you and shows all your info on the main screen.

Image-1-1.jpg
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Just curios but why not just use the Fuelly app for this? You can input all the same info there and it calculates everything for you and shows all your info on the main screen.

Image-1-1.jpg
I started doing this before Fuelly was ever a thing (2006), and it's just been easier for me to maintain my history in an excel spreadsheet where I can easily manipulate/translate/migrate the data as I'd like rather than fighting with some company to get access to my data or rely on them to maintain their product(s) going forward. I don't have anything against it, just wasn't an option and the benefits don't really exist for me.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I started doing this before Fuelly was ever a thing (2006), and it's just been easier for me to maintain my history in an excel spreadsheet where I can easily manipulate/translate/migrate the data as I'd like rather than fighting with some company to get access to my data or rely on them to maintain their product(s) going forward. I don't have anything against it, just wasn't an option and the benefits don't really exist for me.
Oh,I'm a creature of habit too! I still do all my house spreadsheets by hand (and make all the grids by hand) even though there's so many apps/programs that can do it faster lol. I figure with the Ranger it was easier to just start fresh with this app and if something ever happens where there's a glitch and I lose everything I don't really care as much as if it were all my household stuff.:)

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I love my new truck and I have happy foot disease. Going to be a while before I cure my happy foot disease and give my turbo a rest to get some real MPG numbers. I'm only averaging about 17 now and that's with mostly highway riding!

As for all the discussions about math, meh I don't care enough and my computer's average at the end of a tank is good enough for me.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Final report at 24k miles, fat tires, lifted and over weight with at least 500lbs of gear...moderate to easy acceleration city = 18.5mpg +/-...highway cruising over 100 mile steady 70mph = 21.5mpg +/-...I'm satisfied given the aero/weight degradation I've added...87 octane untuned...

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’m averaging 10.2L/100km (23mpg) after 5700km (3500mi). Always on 87 with no tune, stock height FX4 with 265/70R17 tires.

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
15.0 mpg last fill up (self calculated it was 14.6). I do a lot of short trips with some highway. But I never expected it to be this bad. Really frustrated...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
15.0 mpg last fill up (self calculated it was 14.6). I do a lot of short trips with some highway. But I never expected it to be this bad. Really frustrated...
How's your driving style?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
How's your driving style?
And what kind of gas are you running? Cheap no name stuff? Or tier one gas? I recently had significantly worse mileage on no name gas (non tier 1).

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
And what kind of gas are you running? Cheap no name stuff? Or tier one gas? I recently had significantly worse mileage on no name gas (non tier 1).
chevron or 76 91. I was on 87 and thought 91 would help. It did help the engine responsiveness but mpg got worse.

I drive pretty slow. Occasionally push it within reason and to get rpms up.

I don’t understand why it’s so terrible

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
chevron or 76 91. I was on 87 and thought 91 would help. It did help the engine responsiveness but mpg got worse.

I drive pretty slow. Occasionally push it within reason and to get rpms up.

I don’t understand why it’s so terrible
It's strange how there's a few who are getting really bad mpg's. You can see by my post above (#406) that I'm averaging 21 with a high of 22 using a combo of D/S modes and a few WOT's :D. I'm using 87 Fry's (Kroger) gas,2.5" level and 265/70/17 tires. Even when traveling up north going from 1000' to 5000' elevation average speed was 75-80 mph I still averaged 18.8 that tank.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It's strange how there's a few who are getting really bad mpg's. You can see by my post above (#406) that I'm averaging 21 with a high of 22 using a combo of D/S modes and a few WOT's :D. I'm using 87 Fry's (Kroger) gas,2.5" level and 265/70/17 tires. Even when traveling up north going from 1000' to 5000' elevation average speed was 75-80 mph I still averaged 18.8 that tank.
It does seem like there is another variable, or possibly some issue with some trucks that contributes to poor mileage. I was surprised when I saw the poorer mileage on the non tier1 gas. The engine does seem to be sensitive to gas quality for sure.

Ross Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X2
I have a little over 500 miles on the truck and have been getting 18.8 MPG using 87 Octane. I work in the city so this is 90% city driving to and from work.

ZCoker

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 Mini Cooper Clubman, 1981 Porsch Slantnose (550hp), 1980 BMW 528i (750hp)
It is strange how many Rangers on here very so widely with mpg and it's most likely related to driving style and not the truck. I can say this because I bought two Rangers LoL. My first one I put about 1400 miles on it and when I traded it up on another it showed 26.2 on the computer with regular city driving in south Florida, no extended highway driving at all. I thought it quite high related to some of the post on here.

Well, my second Ranger just hit 1000 miles and it's showing 26.1 with the same style of driving, same as my first, mainly city. Very consistent. I reset computer on both trucks. I also used regular 87 fuel on both trucks. And I drove the speed limits, stop and go, sometimes heavy on the foot.

Given that, I can presume that the mpg's are pretty consistent with the truck as a whole and the great variables we see on here are definitively related to something else.
Sponsored