Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Transmission programming seems to be a big factor in all of this. I've had a high performance tune flashed to my truck since 30K (at 97K now). I have had a few instances of the transmission "bump" over time but not to the extent some have experienced in here. Always would happen in D when coasting at speed......My Ranger still runs very smooth and steady although I am planning to take her in before my extended warranty expires to have things checked out. I'm also curious if my tuner is planning any other updates for transmission issues....guess I need to make a call.

Reactions: TJC
OP
OP

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
becoming the new "fuel in my oil" thread
Very true, except many of us have actually experienced a funny 10r80 and even ridden in another 10r80 vehicle with similar quirks. And a few of us have even seen they can be mostly fixed.

As for "Fuel in my oil" well, oh, yeah, so, you know... "I believe her" but I'm still waiting to see a Ranger engine actually get wiped out by fuel dilution.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Very true, except many of us have actually experienced a funny 10r80 and even ridden in another 10r80 vehicle with similar quirks. And a few of us have even seen they can be mostly fixed.

As for "Fuel in my oil" well, oh, yeah, so, you know... "I believe her" but I'm still waiting to see a Ranger engine actually get wiped out by fuel dilution.
that old saying watched water is real slow to boil lol. im not saying fuel in oil is not an issue or some folks do not have it etc. however, its an expected reality of direct injection engine. Ford and other auto makers decided the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. On the other hand, the transmission issues are not expected issues and not calculated into normal operations. Which is why in some cases ford is doing warranty work to attempt to band aid the issue.

Reactions: TJC

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor

I’m sure there are some that have. Short trips, cold temps, and operating when the engine is not in closed loop will most likely dilute the oil more on our engines than other vehicles. I bet the engineers designed for this and a little bit of dilution will be ok, with a life of 150-200k miles. Those that are highway driven will probably last up to twice as long (or more) before needing any engine work.

First Name
Charly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
i think you are misunderstanding my post. my transmission is not better at all. its a #$%^ box. Ford knows the 10r80 has issues. They have had at least 3 class actions come to pass over it in the past 10 years. New ones starting as we speak id bet. Ford dealers are also well aware they have issues. ford is just betting on most of the 10r80s with issue will pass the warranty period ahead of it totally failing while in a dealers hands. The band aids that ford has instructed dealers to offer are pcm update and flash the system to force a "relearn" and if it is bad enough valve body swap and again system flash. After those are done by a dealer they are to consider the miles and age of the car / truck vs. how much warranty is left and expected miles or time until transmission failure. That is where mine is. It has had the new pcm - didnt help - had the new vavle bodies - did not help and is on its third relearn - after about 1000k miles it is worse than before. ford and the dealers have washed hands of it and im stuck with the truck that will need a transmission soon. if your truck is having the tranny issues like some of the others and its in otherwise nice shape / low miles get rid of it while you can.
Same Same. Three reflashes on mine. On the third, the dealer said to drive it for 800- 1000 miles and it will relearn and be right as rain. Two days later it had a catastrophic failure on the freeway, causing trans fluid to leak and smoke everywhere. When I took it back they deemed it more cost-efficient to replace the whole thing rather than rebuild. I was out of my truck for 2 months waiting for the new transmission. The new transmission still has the occasional rough shift/searching for gears. Currently pursuing legal action via lemon laws. It's a shame because I love the truck otherwise.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Same Same. Three reflashes on mine. On the third, the dealer said to drive it for 800- 1000 miles and it will relearn and be right as rain. Two days later it had a catastrophic failure on the freeway, causing trans fluid to leak and smoke everywhere. When I took it back they deemed it more cost-efficient to replace the whole thing rather than rebuild. I was out of my truck for 2 months waiting for the new transmission. The new transmission still has the occasional rough shift/searching for gears. Currently pursuing legal action via lemon laws. It's a shame because I love the truck otherwise.
man that stinks I hope mine either does not have that happen or happens someplace I can get ride home from...

Hoffmath

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Supercab
I've got an 2022 STX Supercab. It's had "the vibration" from day one. The initial fix was to do the rear pinion angle TSB which made the vibration slightly worse. It makes me crazy that it ALWAYS skip shifts from 1 to 3 and that I'm in 7th gear at 28 mph. As suggested towing mode makes it better, but not great. Seven visits to two dealers and the response is still "what vibration?".

I appreciate all of your thoughts and expertise. I plan to go back and ask to have the re-flash done.

Thanks
Tom

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I've got an 2022 STX Supercab. It's had "the vibration" from day one. The initial fix was to do the rear pinion angle TSB which made the vibration slightly worse. It makes me crazy that it ALWAYS skip shifts from 1 to 3 and that I'm in 7th gear at 28 mph. As suggested towing mode makes it better, but not great. Seven visits to two dealers and the response is still "what vibration?".

I appreciate all of your thoughts and expertise. I plan to go back and ask to have the re-flash done.

Thanks
Tom
wow at seven trips back you seem more friendly than I would be! the skip shift is normal but not vibrations. have you tried going to different dealers?

Hoffmath

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Supercab
wow at seven trips back you seem more friendly than I would be! the skip shift is normal but not vibrations. have you tried going to different dealers?
I've been to 2 dealers, I may try a third.

Does anyone know how the most current firmware is identified? Is there a number I can reference?

Also, my local independent mechanic has a top of the line code reader. Can he read what version i have now?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
im no expert but just about any code reader should be fine for getting trouble codes from the truck. as far as firmware i have no idea.
im sure by this point you have had the tires and wheels checked out etc.
any chance a weight is missing from the drive shaft?
possible bad center support bearing? -
just a side note they are cheap like 40 bucks. worth a shot putting in a new one even if its not showing sides of being bad. it might help a lil.

maybe u joints are bad?
I think some dealers have the equipment to run down the vibration if they want to do so. lot of science with it thats beyond my knowledge lol. but some of the other folks here may be able to tell you exactly what gear is needed to find the issue.
the dealer may just be passing you off. I had a dealer tell me they did not have a way to measure drive shaft angles or pinons etc. lol. I honestly feel like ford makes a decent product but the dealers and warranty are almost worthless.
Sponsored