Forscan and transmission repair under warranty

Lampcont44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hi all, I have a 2020 Ranger with 38K miles on it, built in 11/20. I am having issues with my truck's transmission. From a stop with 30-40% throttle the truck always hangs at around at 2500 pm for a second and then revs up to 4500 before it shifts to 4th or 5th. When it finally shifts you can feel it jerk and then it's smooth throughout the rest of the gears.

It gets better as the transmission warms up but I can always feel a thud or jerk going from 3rd to 4th or 5th gear.

I figure I'm one of the many people on here with a similar story, but I wanted to ask if anyone has had an issue with dealers accepting warranty repairs if forscan was used? I used it to reset the adaptive learning tables, which only helps for a day before it started acting up again.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Don't admit anything...if they ask, you don't have "foreskin"...

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
I think Forscan changes can be reverted without the ECU or other modules “flipping a bit” permanently but anything like a performance tune permanently writes to the flash counter and could void your warranty.

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
I don't think they're going to see or notice that you cleared the adaptive tables

If I were asked about that I would just say I brought it to a shop like Christian Brothers or Pep Boys to scan for codes and they said they tried resetting something for me to see if it would help, maybe that was it?!

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Hi all, I have a 2020 Ranger with 38K miles on it, built in 11/20. I am having issues with my truck's transmission. From a stop with 30-40% throttle the truck always hangs at around at 2500 pm for a second and then revs up to 4500 before it shifts to 4th or 5th. When it finally shifts you can feel it jerk and then it's smooth throughout the rest of the gears.

It gets better as the transmission warms up but I can always feel a thud or jerk going from 3rd to 4th or 5th gear.

I figure I'm one of the many people on here with a similar story, but I wanted to ask if anyone has had an issue with dealers accepting warranty repairs if forscan was used? I used it to reset the adaptive learning tables, which only helps for a day before it started acting up again.
I would suggest setting all other changes (if you made any besides the adaptive reset) to factory as they may, and can use those, to do further digging for mods.

Not implying that anyone should de-mod a truck before taking it in for a warranty repair, but if I flipped a bit with Forscan to allow me to add an amp to the stereo, that shouldn’t be grounds to void a trans or engine warranty… don’t give them the reason to and they wont play hardball…

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
I just replaced mine for pretty much the same reason. Second would flare to the limiter cold and fifth would do it warm. Many other odd shift characteristics were happening too. I bought a new unit from Ford and replaced it Wednesday night, now everything is so nice and smooth!

IMG_3262.jpeg

IMG_3266.jpeg

IMG_3268.jpeg

IMG_3272.jpeg

OP
OP
Lampcont44

Lampcont44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I would suggest setting all other changes (if you made any besides the adaptive reset) to factory as they may, and can use those, to do further digging for mods.

Not implying that anyone should de-mod a truck before taking it in for a warranty repair, but if I flipped a bit with Forscan to allow me to add an amp to the stereo, that shouldn’t be grounds to void a trans or engine warranty… don’t give them the reason to and they wont play hardball…
Luckily I didn't mess with anything else besides resetting the transmission tables. Next time I have a weekend off I'll take it in and have them check that out as well as the drive shift spline as I also get that annoying thud when I'm in drive and let go of the brakes 😒.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I just replaced mine for pretty much the same reason. Second would flare to the limiter cold and fifth would do it warm. Many other odd shift characteristics were happening too. I bought a new unit from Ford and replaced it Wednesday night, now everything is so nice and smooth!
Are you willing to share how much the new unit set you back? I don't need one, but I like to be prepared.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name