Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
...a better placement for the control knob is on the console next to the gear shift.
What's the white dot? The small hole on the bezel is under the skirt (0-10) of the knob.

upload_2020-2-21_12-51-24.png
Sponsored

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
------- 11/10/2019 Update -------
I am looking at my sticker and nowhere does it say my xlt option 301a has aeb in the safety and security section plus I asked my dealer about it and He doesn't think so , but of course dealers do not know everything.

Courtesy of @dguffin.

Here’s what I saw at SEMA with a part number of VKB3Z-2C006-A

41EA22F5-F770-4245-B9F0-646D2ABD3F89.jpeg

8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

July 3rd 2019

2019 Ranger vehicles come standard equipped with automatic emergency braking (AEB). Aftermarket trailer brake controllers may not be compatible with AEB technology. Do not tow trailers equipped with electric brakes without a compatible trailer brake controller. The compatible Ford Licensed trailer brake control module is expected to be available 4th quarter 2019.

8492.PNG

I was about to pull the trigger on a redarc controller but I think now I'll wait to see what ford is offering.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
I'm getting a $339 quote from my dealers. Still looking.

I may have it installed by a tow shop that's installed every TBC on all my trucks for 20 years. Just have to find a better price for the controller.

I definitely want the button on the center console.
Find it for around $270 on line and your dealer will probably match it. Mine did.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
What's the white dot? The small hole on the bezel is under the skirt (0-10) of the knob.

That is a mark so I can tell how much gain I have set. Not necessary, but works for me.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect

Also, with the Ford gen 3 Redarc, there is no small hole next to the larger one like a Gen 2 Redarc has. The entire clear portion of the control knob glows when a trailer is connected. It changes from blue to a variation of pink to red, depending on how much brake you are applying.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
What's laughable is that the instructions say 30 minutes!

I have already spent hours planning the install--we'll see if I can do it in 30 minutes :LOL:
That is laughable. It took me much longer than that just getting things disassembled.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
That is a mark so I can tell how much gain I have set. Not necessary, but works for me.
Devil! I thought it was a lamp. Apparently the earlier RedArcs had either an LED or an alignment pin for the little hole in the bezel. The instructions even say to drill two holes. I could not for the life of me figure out what that small hole did as there is no LED or pin sticking up out of the button assembly.

White dot, good idea!
upload_2020-2-21_16-54-59.png

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport/FX
It still remains unclear to me how to fish the wires up by the high brake light and make the connection above the headliner. If anyone can describe how to do it or provide pictures that would be greatly appreciated. I've got the XLT Crew with the sliding back window.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It still remains unclear to me how to fish the wires up by the high brake light and make the connection above the headliner. If anyone can describe how to do it or provide pictures that would be greatly appreciated. I've got the XLT Crew with the sliding back window.
Hi John,

There is a thread on these forums that shows an under dash wire that powers the center mounted brake light, so no need to go all the way back to the cab back panel and pull the roof liner down to access. Seems a cleaner way to install the brake controler.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi John,

There is a thread on these forums that shows an under dash wire that powers the center mounted brake light, so no need to go all the way back to the cab back panel and pull the roof liner down to access. Seems a cleaner way to install the brake controler.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

Appreciate the input. I want to be fully compliant with the instructions. If the instructions get updated I'll give that a try. You would think everyone would benefit from the easier solution. John

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
The arrows are roughly where you’d wanna pop the headliner out by its clips. Once you see what color connectors you have from the factory you make your own female and male ends by following the wiring diagram and pushing the wires in until they click.

4563CE91-8B51-4DC8-99FB-FBAF8F1C363C.jpeg

7ABB3475-ED97-4AF9-8307-97BAA85EED2B.jpeg

johnitahoe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is that without a sliding rear window? It looks to me (hope I'm wrong) that the sliding window blocks the headliner from coming down?

Love the picture!! Thanks, John

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
The arrows are roughly where you’d wanna pop the headliner out by its clips. Once you see what color connectors you have from the factory you make your own female and male ends by following the wiring diagram and pushing the wires in until they click.
Can you just pop the headliner down (to look at the wires) without pulling the side panels?

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Having spent quite a bit of time analyzing the 'system", I think there is more to this than just tapping into a wire under the dash. I also think this might violate warranty and if a trailer accident occurred, it could be problematic.

What I would like is to hear from a Lumen or RedArc engineer who was involved with the 'approved' TBC design. I simply cannot believe that they went to the trouble to produce a separate control module that traces back to the CHMSL without a good reason.
Sponsored