Crowd-sourced Trailer Brake Controller's List for 2019 Ford Ranger

What Brand of Confirmed Working Trailer Brake Controller Do You Have Installed?

• Total voters

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Really need to have a separate option in the survey for the Ford/Redac system. Many of us put in the Redarc before Ford came out with its "approved" setup because we needed a brake controller.
So is the redarc and ford now the same thing?
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So is the redarc and ford now the same thing?
No, the Ford uses a Redarc controller with an extra module to tie in the AEB and ACC functions. Just a Redarc controller that some of us have does not have the extra module. Visually looks and functions the same except for the AEB and ACC tie in.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
No, the Ford uses a Redarc controller with an extra module to tie in the AEB and ACC functions. Just a Redarc controller that some of us have does not have the extra module. Visually looks and functions the same except for the AEB and ACC tie in.
Thanks a lot

IS the Ford unit easy DIY?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thanks a lot

The people that have it will vary on that question. I do not have it, so can only go by what I've seen in posts here. It is more involved than any other controller, due to the need to run a wiring harness back to the high mounted stop light. Some have said you need to remove the headliner, others say to only pull it down at the back. It does require removing some trim panels to route the wire along the door sills and up to the light. Once you've done that you need to assemble a couple connectors based on what color connectors your truck has. So, easy is a relative term. What I would consider easy may be difficult for someone else.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a lot

I have the RedArc Tow Pro FORD version with the extra module. The harness' provided make the install fairly simple. The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the sill plates and pull down the rear edge of the headliner. Actually hooking up the wiring was very easy. My install took me 1.5 hours on a Sunday morning. We tow our camper and a flat deck quad / sled trailer, brake works great with both. Never had a fault with it.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I have the RedArc Tow Pro FORD version with the extra module. The harness' provided make the install fairly simple. The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the sill plates and pull down the rear edge of the headliner. Actually hooking up the wiring was very easy. My install took me 1.5 hours on a Sunday morning. We tow our camper and a flat deck quad / sled trailer, brake works great with both. Never had a fault with it.
Thanks a lot. Some folks removed the entire headline. Did you? (I have the Lariat with rear sliding window that seems to complicate things)

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a lot. Some folks removed the entire headline. Did you? (I have the Lariat with rear sliding window that seems to complicate things)
I actually slid open the rear window and was able to get my head back far enough to see up above the headliner with a little downward pull on it to find out how it was attached. Basically just 4 large push-pin mounts along the rear edge. I slid my hand along to them and gave a quick downward pull, this released them and provided enough clearance to access the required wiring, and tuck the new harness up into place. Snapped right back in after.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I actually slid open the rear window and was able to get my head back far enough to see up above the headliner with a little downward pull on it to find out how it was attached. Basically just 4 large push-pin mounts along the rear edge. I slid my hand along to them and gave a quick downward pull, this released them and provided enough clearance to access the required wiring, and tuck the new harness up into place. Snapped right back in after.
Awesome. thanks

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I just used the Bluetooth version ... had it on two vehicles (three if you count letting my neighbor borrow it while his was on order), no issues, works well

Echo Smart Controller.jpeg

BOB RAD

First Name
BEBO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER
Just had a prodigy P2 installed. At first I didn’t think it was working because the brakes would not lock up when I followed instruction on setting it up. Went to a guy who delivers lots of travel trailer and he did some testing and drove my truck with trailer attached, told me everything is working as it should and he would not be afraid to take off across country with my truck and 3200 lb. Winnebago Mini Drop TT. Feel better now and will head for the Southern California beaches in the morning. And yes I know a couple of safety features won’t work with the Prodigy but I have those two systems turned off. Also have to remember to turn off the auto start/stop as it is driving me crazy.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Thanks.

I thought the linen controller did Dan us to 12v. With the mod you did, you’re getting 12v from the that tap?
Yes, it's the control from the brake pedal switch, or what ever controls the center brake light.

omniphil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I might be missing something here, but I installed a Tekonsha brake controller on the camper a few years ago and we have a hand held unit the just plugs into the cig lighter socket. When we traded the Jeep for the Ranger recently there was nothing to do, it just all works. no wiring or anything complicated, so I'm not sure why Ford needed to included a brake controller since we just used our existing one with no hassle at all.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Draw Tite ICommand.

A local hitch shop (Lampert Hitch) that is well regarded in the region and that I have used a few times in the past strongly recommended this TBC. I went with their advice and installation, $243 total. I don't use cruise control while towing, and my XLT doesn't have ACC anyway, so that was not an issue. No complaints with the TBC so far. My previous tow vehicle had a Prodigy P3 that was quite a bit more expensive, this ICommand seems to function the same.
Sponsored

Last edited: