Crowd-sourced Trailer Brake Controller's List for 2019 Ford Ranger

What Brand of Confirmed Working Trailer Brake Controller Do You Have Installed?

• Total voters

Jdfielding

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Construction
Curt echo is a universal Bluetooth controller for around $150. It syncs to your phone, works pretty good but it would be better if it worked with Apple CarPlay so you didn’t have to mount your phone. I guess if you run gauges on your phone this isn’t a great option, but for me it was nice and easy. It works really well and I tow a 24’ 200mble surveyor all the time.
Sponsored

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Installed a Redarc tow pro for my camper. The previous owner had had a brake controller installed but for some strange reason removed it before sale. However they did leave all the wiring and since the wiring seemed to be reasonably well done, I just needed a bit of detective work to see which wire went where as it was not a standard harness and nothing was marked. Worked it out eventually, and it works well. I 3D printed a holder for the controller which fits neatly in the console in front of the T bar.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
What does crowd sourced mean?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
What does crowd sourced mean?
Crowdsourcing The act of generating or acquiring something, such as information, content, or an answer to a question, by soliciting it from a large network of people, often via social media. The phrase is a combination of the words "crowd" and "outsource," meaning to transfer or delegate a task to someone else.

Don't blame me if that's wrong cause I "crowdsourced" the answer! :blush:

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Crowdsourcing The act of generating or acquiring something, such as information, content, or an answer to a question, by soliciting it from a large network of people, often via social media. The phrase is a combination of the words "crowd" and "outsource," meaning to transfer or delegate a task to someone else.

Don't blame me if that's wrong cause I "crowdsourced" the answer! :blush:
Thanks !

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
Can you manually engage the brakes with that fancy little redarc knob?

If I install a non ford approved brake controller can I have the brakes triggered by the third brake light instead of the brake switch?

My truck doesn’t have any of the brake wiring. I’ve ran wires myself but haven’t hooked anything up yet or bought a controller.

I work at a rv shop and the guys say they haven’t had to do a full brake controller wiring job in years but it’s a 4 hour job.
These guys don’t know anything about the automatic emergency braking.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Can you manually engage the brakes with that fancy little redarc knob?
Yes, by pressing the knob in.
If I install a non ford approved brake controller can I have the brakes triggered by the third brake light instead of the brake switch?
I do not think so. Ford has a special module that takes the third brake light signal and converts it to whatever signal the Redarc unit traditional takes as input from the brakes.
I work at a rv shop and the guys say they haven’t had to do a full brake controller wiring job in years but it’s a 4 hour job.
The Ford OEM brake controller is probably a four hour job for someone who has not done it before. It took me a Saturday with a lot of breaks. I also took my time removing and reinstalling trim panels.
Sponsored