Project Msfitoy V3.0

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
they caused the internal clicking noise to double in speed when signalling...
That may be because the relay senses a burned bulb, as the LED ones draw little current compared to incandescent bulbs. The same relay is also used for hazards, but then there is more draw due to all lights are flashing. One thing you could do is to change the relay or to wire some small resistors in series with the bulbs. It's solvable, yet not that straight forward: use a 12-14V power source, connect it to the bulb, one end through an amper-meter. This way you measure the draw continuously and you can read it. Measure an incandescent bulb, and an LED one. The calculate the resistor.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That may be because the relay senses a burned bulb, as the LED ones draw little current compared to incandescent bulbs. The same relay is also used for hazards, but then there is more draw due to all lights are flashing. One thing you could do is to change the relay or to wire some small resistors in series with the bulbs. It's solvable, yet not that straight forward: use a 12-14V power source, connect it to the bulb, one end through an amper-meter. This way you measure the draw continuously and you can read it. Measure an incandescent bulb, and an LED one. The calculate the resistor.
I think a resistor is the quickest solution...although I could dig back into Forscan but I recall that was a tricky operation lol...

Reactions: Doc

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Good luck with that! You may be right. I do not believe there is an actual relay in modern cars anymore as it's probably controlled by a transistor in a chip. So, if you find a way to specify in the software that you have leds instead of the bulbs in order to avoid the resistors, the better - less stress on the alternator with the whole constellation you've got there :p.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
I think a resistor is the quickest solution...although I could dig back into Forscan but I recall that was a tricky operation lol...
Sid, getting rid of the cluster hyperblink in FORScan is dead simple. The FORScan wiki thread has it in there. I actually added an update in the table back when I switched to Diode Dynamics led front turn signals. I can't stand the slow and fading in/out flash of incandescent bulbs. They looked even more out of place on the Lariat. I had LED's ordered and ready to replace all the incandescent bulbs on my truck before it was delivered. That's another slick lighting project you've done there - nice work!

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Sid, getting rid of the cluster hyperblink in FORScan is dead simple. The FORScan wiki thread has it in there. I actually added an update in the table back when I switched to Diode Dynamics led front turn signals. I can't stand the slow and fading in/out flash of incandescent bulbs. They looked even more out of place on the Lariat. I had LED's ordered and ready to replace all the incandescent bulbs on my truck before it was delivered. That's another slick lighting project you've done there - nice work!
One thing to remember with this FORScan hyperblink fix, if you ever have a bulb go out, you won't know from the dash as this fix actually disables the check itself. Whether or not that's important is up to you, but something to be aware of. It was also one of the reasons I never did a drop in LED swap for the front signals.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to remember with this FORScan hyperblink fix, if you ever have a bulb go out, you won't know from the dash as this fix actually disables the check itself. Whether or not that's important is up to you, but something to be aware of. It was also one of the reasons I never did a drop in LED swap for the front signals.
I have a resistor kit coming so I won't have to rack my brain and re-learn Forscan again... ?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a resistor kit coming so I won't have to rack my brain and re-learn Forscan again... ?
A few years ago when I was looking into it, they offered inline resistor plugs for some applications that were plug and play but for some reason they stopped offering them, so I just never got to it.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
That's a good point. I didn't mind the risk and often find myself checking reflections to see they're flashing (and possibly admiring the truck lol). I was also hoping that quality LED's would provide some assurance and steered clear of generics on Amazon on this one.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation