TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

Some 2019 Ranger vehicles built on or before 11-Feb-2019 may exhibit a rough, excessive fast idle and/or a rough shifting transmission condition when the engine is cold. This may be due to the powertrain control module (PCM) software parameters including cold start and warm-up drivability, idle speed control, and fuel injection delivery strategies. To resolve the condition, update the PCM software.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER

19-2052.JPG
Sponsored

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
So I'm not as automotive inclined as other people. But I was noticing that my truck seems to have an aggressive idle when I would remote start it. Once I'm inside the vehicle I don't notice it as much as the cabin is quiet. However standing outside, compared to my escape which sounded very mellow when starting up. I thought it was just because it is a truck. Sounds like this might be something to have the dealer take a look at?

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Hearing that B-29 fan starting up......

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my Ranger back from the shop. They had to call Ford Corporate to confirm that my truck was eligible for the TSB (It was made before Feb 11).

They ran a PCM update and then some datalogging to make sure the transmission shift points were within spec.

I’ll drive it for a few days to see if that did anything.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been 4 days since the TSB was done and the difference is night and day. Before the transmission shifting would be rough and overly aggressive, now it’s much smoother and I’m noticing the transmission staying longer in gear.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Another reason I'm going to have to drive my dads truck to see if the transmission shifts like mine does. It does seem "confused" at times after which it will pick a gear with significant force behind it's decision.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
It’s been 4 days since the TSB was done and the difference is night and day. Before the transmission shifting would be rough and overly aggressive, now it’s much smoother and I’m noticing the transmission staying longer in gear.
Good Deal !

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Did your idle rpm's go down after the update? Mine idles around 700-800 Rpm's and I'm not sure if that's high or not

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@rangerdanger did yours have a harsh shift or delay shift going to reverse in the mornings?
I noticed reverse was funky, like there was a delay. Not sure if this TSB address that issue or not.
Did your idle rpm's go down after the update? Mine idles around 700-800 Rpm's and I'm not sure if that's high or not
I don’t think that is considered high. My Ranger never experienced a rough idle, only weird transmission shifting.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Your idle is pretty normal.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Scheduled mine for next week to get taken care of. Have rough running when starting in the mornings and hard shift of transmission on mine.
Sponsored