Adjusting preload on Fox 2.0 coilovers

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Screw FX4
I adjusted the preload on my fox 2.0 coilovers today and it increased the ride height while not stiffening it up too much but I'm now questioning if I adjusted the preload too high amd will damage my shocks. The Fox manual sucks and doesn't specify how much you can crank on it. Does anyone know where I can find this information? From what I understand if you go too much the coils will hit each other under compression and the rebound circuit in the shock will break due to the shock extending too fast. What I did was compress the shock and then go 13 full rotations back from the max preload. If anyone has the Fox info please share it with me.
Sponsored

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
When I spoke with Fox about this, the tech guy never said anything about a limit, but he did say that if you try to go too high, it will ride really stiff. I increased quite a bit in order to get a full 3.5" of lift in front and it still rides great.

OP
OP

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually pulled them again yesterday and set them close to what you have yours at ( i saw it on your build thread). They were too stiff where i had them and I only had .5" downtravel. They ride good now but I think in order to achieve the ride I'm really looking for I need a heavier spring.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I know this is an old thread but I’m looking into increasing my height as well. Any formula on how much to adjust (number of turns? I read somewhere .5” of turns=1” of lift). Does the coilovers need to be removed to be adjusted or can I do that while it’s still on the truck?

OP
OP

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this is an old thread but I’m looking into increasing my height as well. Any formula on how much to adjust (number of turns? I read somewhere .5” of turns=1” of lift). Does the coilovers need to be removed to be adjusted or can I do that while it’s still on the truck?
I don't know the formula for lift height. I just adjusted them a little and put them back on. They definitely need to be removed and compressed with a wall mounted press to adjust them. Don't go too high or the spring will rub on the top hat. Mine currently do that and I'm looking into getting a heavier spring so I can lower the preload.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I don't know the formula for lift height. I just adjusted them a little and put them back on. They definitely need to be removed and compressed with a wall mounted press to adjust them. Don't go too high or the spring will rub on the top hat. Mine currently do that and I'm looking into getting a heavier spring so I can lower the preload.
Bummer, would have been easier to just keep it on the truck. Thanks for the info!

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
If you call Fox they will tell you how much lift to expect from a certain number of turns or whatever. I can't remember what they told me it was since I installed mine last February.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,
I know this an old thread, I'm in thesame boat now, I have a Fox 2.0 months ago and just now installed a larger tire, 295/70R17. I need to find a way to adjust the Fox 2.0 coilovers just a bit so I can get more clearance. Did anyone find away how to adjust the Fox 2.0? And how do you measure on how high the setting now? 4WParts is not much helping since I got the shocks from them and installed by them as well. Any advice will help. I have attached the pics of my Ranger. I have deleted the intrusion beams and trimmed the plastics and felt liners as well.Thanks

20210606_125919.jpg

20210606_205425.jpg

20210604_194755.jpg

20210604_182721.jpg

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi All,
I know this an old thread, I'm in thesame boat now, I have a Fox 2.0 months ago and just now installed a larger tire, 295/70R17. I need to find a way to adjust the Fox 2.0 coilovers just a bit so I can get more clearance. Did anyone find away how to adjust the Fox 2.0? And how do you measure on how high the setting now? 4WParts is not much helping since I got the shocks from them and installed by them as well. Any advice will help. I have attached the pics of my Ranger. I have deleted the intrusion beams and trimmed the plastics and felt liners as well.Thanks

20210606_125919.jpg

20210606_205425.jpg

20210604_194755.jpg

20210604_182721.jpg

So I adjusted mine before I put them on. You CANNOT adjust them while on the vehicle. Also a bummer is that you either have to use a spring compressor (not those small garbage ones) to clamp onto the top and bottom in order to adjust the collar at the bottom OR remove the coil to adjust the collar. I purchased the non Ford Performance one and was told by Fox that mine were set to provide 2.5" of lift(he said the FP ones are 2") and in order to gain the .5" I wanted, I had to lower the collar by 1/4" (1/2" for every 1" of height).

As far as measuring what they're at now, I'm not sure unless you get someone that has the same set at stock height.

Hope that helps!

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I adjusted mine before I put them on. You CANNOT adjust them while on the vehicle. Also a bummer is that you either have to use a spring compressor (not those small garbage ones) to clamp onto the top and bottom in order to adjust the collar at the bottom OR remove the coil to adjust the collar. I purchased the non Ford Performance one and was told by Fox that mine were set to provide 2.5" of lift(he said the FP ones are 2") and in order to gain the .5" I wanted, I had to lower the collar by 1/4" (1/2" for every 1" of height).

As far as measuring what they're at now, I'm not sure unless you get someone that has the same set at stock height.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your response. How much thread do you have? Like the one showing on the pic. I wonder if this measurement will tell what the height is adjusted to?

20210515_172440.jpg

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks for your response. How much thread do you have? Like the one showing on the pic. I wonder if this measurement will tell what the height is adjusted to?

20210515_172440.jpg
I can let you know when I get home

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t feel like counting but here you go!
A59D6E5C-BF19-4DC6-822E-71B7A3B32CD5.jpeg
Thanks my Fox measured 3.5 inch, from the bottom of the thread to the top, Yours look like higher. Lol
Sponsored