First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Nissan just unveiled their 3rd gen Frontier today. A respectable redesign with class leading 310HP. It will also be offered with two cab and two bed configurations. This new Frontier is due out this summer, so it will be competing with the 5th generation Ranger. It will be interesting to see how much market share it will take from all the other midsize trucks and their aging designs???

The one thing I hope Ford does with this next gen Ranger is offer multiple cab/bed configurations! While the 5th gen might be lacking these due to being a carryover from the T6 global truck, an all new truck for the NA market really needs more choices in configurations.

A SuperCrew/longbed with a Tremor package would be the ultimate factory base overland rig. I hope Ford nails this next gen.... my ‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew is really starting to show some wear.
Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
The "new" Nissan Tacoma.

Looks EXACTLY like one, IMO. Especially in that gray.

Link to Autoblog.

Yeah, it makes a bit more HP, and a bit less torque. But that HP comes in all up top and the torque curve wont be as good as a turbo motor. Always been a fan of the Pro4X model, I was looking at them before I realized the Ranger was a better truck. But I've always known how good a turbo engine is compared to a similar output non-turbo motor.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
That 6,720# towing capacity is disappointing

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
The "new" Nissan Tacoma.

Looks EXACTLY like one, IMO. Especially in that gray.

Link to Autoblog.

Yeah, it makes a bit more HP, and a bit less torque. But that HP comes in all up top and the torque curve wont be as good as a turbo motor. Always been a fan of the Pro4X model, I was looking at them before I realized the Ranger was a better truck. But I've always known how good a turbo engine is compared to a similar output non-turbo motor.
3.8L V6. The engine makes 310 horsepower and 281 pound-feet of torque. 6720 lbs max towing.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
I was looking forward to this coming out because competition is what drives innovation. However, and I'm not being a Ranger fan-boy, it looks like a 20-year-old Chevy Silverado morphed together with a current-gen Tacoma. Not a fan at all of that styling. I can't see this being the reason any relatively loyal Ranger customer (or Tacoma customer) says, "Hang on a moment...".

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
3.8L V6. The engine makes 310 horsepower and 281 pound-feet of torque. 6720 lbs max towing.
What's your point?

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Exactly what I stated.
I'm confused as why you quoted me. To me it seems like you're trying to tell me something that I already stated.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I'm confused as why you quoted me. To me it seems like you're trying to tell me something that I already stated.
Just replied. Was reiterating what you said adding that it's a 3.8L V6 with lower torque than our 2.3L I-4 and lower towing cap.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I was looking forward to this coming out because competition is what drives innovation. However, and I'm not being a Ranger fan-boy, it looks like a 20-year-old Chevy Silverado morphed together with a current-gen Tacoma. Not a fan at all of that styling. I can't see this being the reason any relatively loyal Ranger customer (or Tacoma customer) says, "Hang on a moment...".
yeah that's my impression - front resembles Chevy, rest is very much Taco. And I would speculate that those 2 makes are the ones that might experience some sales loss to Frontier.

Now the Frontier will likely ride better than Ranger and the Pro variant comes with Bilsteins - that would have been nice for the Ranger FX4 package.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
...Now the Frontier will likely ride better than Ranger and the Pro variant comes with Bilsteins - that would have been nice for the Ranger FX4 package.
I'd like to see that up against the Tremor, with it's modified pieces.

About the only thing I liked was the fact that it moved the shifter up, which allowed for a real center console and armrest.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Nissan just unveiled their 3rd gen Frontier today. A respectable redesign with class leading 310HP. It will also be offered with two cab and two bed configurations. This new Frontier is due out this summer, so it will be competing with the 5th generation Ranger. It will be interesting to see how much market share it will take from all the other midsize trucks and their aging designs???

The one thing I hope Ford does with this next gen Ranger is offer multiple cab/bed configurations! While the 5th gen might be lacking these due to being a carryover from the T6 global truck, an all new truck for the NA market really needs more choices in configurations.

A SuperCrew/longbed with a Tremor package would be the ultimate factory base overland rig. I hope Ford nails this next gen.... my ‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew is really starting to show some wear.
Class leading 310hp? Same old engine with less torque and towing. HP is just a number. Torque is measured. HP is calculated.

310 hp at 6400 RPM is a worthless number. When will you ever hit 6400 RPM? Whats the HP at 3000 RPM?

Same old tired NI v6.