RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Aside from anecdotal feelings: I am curious how it is you determined that it is not the aftermarket tuning which had a detrimental effect on the motor?

The parameters modified by modern engine tuning have as dramatic of an impact on the operation of the engine as it's factory tune can have.

As any auditor worth their salt will say "Trust is not an internal control".

Full disclosure: I had a Mitsubishi Evolution track car which was heavily modified and played with the tune constantly based on track layout, so i'm not one of those "keep all vehicles stock, the manufacturer knows best in all things" people. But I really haven't seen anything you've posted which would remove the aftermarket tune as a likely culprit at this stage of the process and based on the facts currently known.
It almost sounded like it was some sort of oil issue (oil pressure warning right before it melted down). Not sure how a tune would affect that? Maybe an oil pump failure?

It will be interesting to hear what the eventual cause was.
Sponsored

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Aside from anecdotal feelings: I am curious how it is you determined that it is not the aftermarket tuning which had a detrimental effect on the motor?

The parameters modified by modern engine tuning have as dramatic of an impact on the operation of the engine as it's factory tune can have.

As any auditor worth their salt will say "Trust is not an internal control".

Full disclosure: I had a Mitsubishi Evolution track car which was heavily modified and played with the tune constantly based on track layout, so i'm not one of those "keep all vehicles stock, the manufacturer knows best in all things" people. But I really haven't seen anything you've posted which would remove the aftermarket tune as a likely culprit at this stage of the process and based on the facts currently known.
Agreed! I have zero desire to do any performance mods on a truck that isn't built for performance mods in the first place. I've modded many sports cars in my years of owning sports cars, most recent was a 2018 Mustang GT, but I have never added any engine mods, even a tune, to a truck.

To the OP, good luck with your claim, but if I was Ford, I'd deny your warranty repairs because it sounds like they are absolutely a direct result of your mods. 5 Star better step up if this is due to an unsafe tune.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
While those suggesting that OP is likely at fault for 'hopping up' a vehicle that 'wasn't designed for it' I'd point out that in this case nothing has been done that is much different than what Ford offers as Performance Parts that they warrant... and I suspect are developed and manufactured by contracted companies like (suspected) Livornis and Borla.

If it were internal mechanicals and maybe the turbo - possibly an aftermarket injector failure - maybe? But really, with the sensors and underlying software that isn't going to removed this kind of failure could have been the oil pan bolt falling out. I don't know of any tune that raises the redline.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So if your motor had the same build date, you wouldn't be interested?
You think Ford will still honor the CSP 9 months after it closed? Probably tell you you had your chance.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
To the OP, good luck with your claim, but if I was Ford, I'd deny your warranty repairs because it sounds like they are absolutely a direct result of your mods. 5 Star better step up if this is due to an unsafe tune.

I guess we all speculate here but it's really impossible to determine if there's a reason to deny or honor the factory warranty yet....unless we know why it failed. If the oil pump drive shaft failed due to a faulty part it would have been faulty with or without a tune. If it was under too much boost or had a bad AFR I would see Ford saying it's in the tune.

For the OP's sake I hope they break it down an find a faulty part an get it covered. Having seen how the fuel in oil owners are being treated I don't have a good feeling about it an hope 5 star comes through.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
This is why I haven’t tuned my truck. A 4 cylinder 2.3L engine pumping out 270hp is pretty solid. Good enough for me! Now maybe if I was wealthier and had a 2wd Ranger street truck.. that would be cool! Good luck to you, I hope Ford is off the hook on this one and Five Star picks up the bill.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Once this plays out it will pretty much answer how factory approaches incidents like this. Curious myself as they also offer a tune and certify other “improvements” to their offerings. The data will speak for itself. If mechanical then that changes the outcome

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I get the feeling, as soon as the dealer sees your mods and your flash it's factory warranty denied. Then it's up to 5 star.

Watching this thread to see how it pans out with their warranty coverage. I suspect a battle - likely between 5 star and Ford at first then 5 star and you last. If that is what it sounds like, it's probably a $10K bill that nobody is going to want to get stuck with.
If the warranty doesn’t cover it, it will be expensive, but not $10k. On Mustang6g.com, back in 2018, somebody threw a rod in their Ecoboost Mustang and it was $6500 for a new motor and new turbo installed.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
If the warranty doesn’t cover it, it will be expensive, but not $10k. On Mustang6g.com, back in 2018, somebody threw a rod in their Ecoboost Mustang and it was $6500 for a new motor and new turbo installed.
$6500 for a new engine, turbo and labor? I find that hard to believe. Possible I suppose, just hard to believe lol

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I'll throw in an actual dealer story: guy came in with a 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang, with a thrown rod. It had been modified but the owner took the trouble to unbolt his mods, swap in the original pieces, and set the computer back to stock. It didn't exactly fool the service department but I do believe they honored the warranty and he got a new short block.

I do hope the OP gets his truck fixed by Ford, but I'm thinking if the mods are in place it might be a tough sell.

I can see how the Ford Performance tune makes sense. It's a 91 octane tune, pretty conservative. But some of the directions people go in, with aftermarket turbos and whatnot, I just can't see Ford backing that sort of thing. I just don't like how the drivetrain warranty gets cut in half with the Ford tune, and they recommend we not do any towing. My feeling is the 2.3 is a little marvel of engineering but it's pretty highly stressed as is.

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hope 5 Star has a good warranty because you are going to need it.
Sponsored