2 annoying things i noticed after 1st week with new Ranger

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Most of the time the A.S.S. is not too intrusive.

At traffic lights and general driving around, I don't mind it.

But it's REALLY annoying when you come to a stop on the road waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so you can turn left, a spot opens up, and then you have to wait for what seems like an eternity for the engine to restart and provide thrust to cut across the briefly open lane.

After a couple instances of this exact scenario, I had to delete it.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Of course it's an exaggeration.

That's why I said "seems like".

While in reality it's only a split second, when traffic opens up and you step on the go pedal and the truck is literally dead, it "seems like" the oncoming traffic is getting mighty close while you wait for it to restart. I think the biggest part of this impression is the dead steering wheel.

And while it's been disabled on mine for a while now, I vaguely remember that anytime I gave it enough brake pressure to come to a complete stop it was also enough to engage A.S.S.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Of course it's an exaggeration.

That's why I said "seems like".

While in reality it's only a split second, when traffic opens up and you step on the go pedal and the truck is literally dead, it "seems like" the oncoming traffic is getting mighty close while you wait for it to restart. I think the biggest part of this impression is the dead steering wheel.

And while it's been disabled on mine for a while now, I vaguely remember that anytime I gave it enough brake pressure to come to a complete stop it was also enough to engage A.S.S.
Mine is disabled with the tune now.
Besides the above annoyances I also got irritated when I pulled into the garage and the engine shut off when the truck stopped and then restarted when I shifted into park.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I forgot about this video. It shows you how to disconnect the A/S/S power wire from the battery.

Start from the 6:30 mark so you don't have to listen to him babble on before that.

Last edited:

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have to say the Stop/Start is pretty smooth, and I tried to get used to it. But my brain thinks the engine stalled. Also, the AC compressor stops, which is not ideal in Fla heat.
I think MAX AC will disconnect autostop

For me it was:
1 No overheard compartment for sunglasses
2 No mirrors on the sun visors

I have an stx but c'mon man!
Same....but easily fixed with a quick trip to a junkyard or online parts place.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My concern with auto stop/start is how long will the starter last. Not a concern normally, but with the parts supply line tangled , don’t want to end up like this member.

591EE6FE-9CDB-4A04-9618-C95AD8F3C3FD.jpeg
The starter has been engineered for more start cycles - It honestly should not be a concern. If the starter fails prematurely, it is defective and will fail with A.S.S. enabled or not.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Besides the above annoyances I also got irritated when I pulled into the garage and the engine shut off when the truck stopped and then restarted when I shifted into park.
Yeah I don’t understand why it restarts in park. I travel a lot for work and am in and out of lots of rental cars. A good portion of them will stop the engine when the vehicle is in park if it isn’t needed otherwise.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I forgot about this video. It shows you how to disconnect the ASS power wire from the battery.

Start from the 6:30 mark so you don't have to listen to him babble on before that.

Now that’s a mod I can go for! Easy peasy!!!

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Auto stop eliminator is cheap enough to plug into the back of the switch and it will remember what position it is I

I have size 12 and don’t have that problem

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I guess I just don’t understand the hate for the auto start/stop. The starter is more than capable of meeting the demand of the extra starts. The Ranger’s engine restarts so quickly I barely notice it. No need for the engine to continue to idle if I’m at a long light.
For those of us who have driven shitboxes in the past it is not at all confidence inspiring. I've tried to get used two it but can't. Annoying AF.

Feels like you're trying to start off in 3rd in a manual and bogged down the engine. Makes me want to hit the clutch and verify I'm in the right gear.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Usually I'm good with stop/start. The biggest annoyance is when I shift to park in the garage and it restarts for no apparent reason. Our 2019 Hyundai SantaFe does the same thing.

frmtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew 2wd (301a, Trailer Tow, Locker)
My concern with auto stop/start is how long will the starter last. Not a concern normally, but with the parts supply line tangled , don’t want to end up like this member.

591EE6FE-9CDB-4A04-9618-C95AD8F3C3FD.jpeg
Auto start stop uses the belt driven starter/generator (which has enough power to start the engine smoothly at operating temp). The conventional starter is only used for for cold starts.

Personally, I’m not too concerned about any well maintained powertrain designed in the last 20 years (defects/recalls handled under warranty aside).
High tech light assemblies (w/ freakin radar!), “infotainment” systems that integrate with basic functions like climate control, etc are the reasons that I would never choose to keep any “modern” car for more than 10 years or so. That shtuff won’t be cheap to fix, so sell it before it breaks.
Sponsored