Differentials and Transfer Case Fluid Change

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Just did mine this morning, it was chuuuunky. Went ahead and clean it out and rinsed it good. Got the skid plate on as well.
64332D42-5C86-4C36-BD02-F4C6A815F768.jpeg
3389036B-5BF4-4EE1-8FEA-037C0B808196.jpeg
17670488-D2ED-4CAF-8820-0A555D2F9AB7.jpeg
Sponsored

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Ranger Lariat
I plan on doing the rear differential tomorrow and wanted to confirm a few things.

The drain plug is located (if looking rear to front) on the bottom left front side. It appears to just be a 1/2in socket extension. Can someone confirm that?

After I drain, I put alittle thread tape on it and reinstall. Undo the fill plug, located to the rear of the differential. Fill until over flows. Reinstall plug.

This sound about right?

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
I plan on doing the rear differential tomorrow and wanted to confirm a few things.

The drain plug is located (if looking rear to front) on the bottom left front side. It appears to just be a 1/2in socket extension. Can someone confirm that?

After I drain, I put alittle thread tape on it and reinstall. Undo the fill plug, located to the rear of the differential. Fill until over flows. Reinstall plug.

This sound about right?
You’re correct

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Used 80w-90 Amsoil severe gear btw. Running like butter.
You can also be reassured that if for whatever reason if you get up to 15% of water in your Diffs, the oil will still have the protection you need until you change it again ASAP. Don’t think you’ll get that with the OEM.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You can also be reassured that if for whatever reason if you get up to 15% of water in your Diffs, the oil will still have the protection you need until you change it again ASAP. Don’t think you’ll get that with the OEM.
And OEM oil doesn't come with the free cult membership!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Wow! I just can't wait the next installment of the super fluid story. Why don't our vehicles come with it from the factory?:clap::handsinair::eek:

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Wow! I just can't wait the next installment of the super fluid story. Why don't our vehicles come with it from the factory?:clap::handsinair::eek:
Probably because ConocoPhillips sells it to Ford for super cheap and Ford can maximize there profit. Profit over premium quality sometimes is number 1 interest.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Probably because ConocoPhillips sells it to Ford for super cheap and Ford can maximize there profit. Profit over premium quality sometimes is number 1 interest.
And OEM oil doesn't come with the free cult membership!
LMAO that’s a good one.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Running the oem fluid as it came from the factory. Also running like butter.
Mmmmm butter - I have a few sticks leftover from making holiday cookies, but for my diff fluid change I'm thinking of using plain old snake oil as IIRC it can tolerate up to 20% water content.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
All members being remunerated by the products they're pushing should have a glowing yellow avatar. All members who don't volunteer this information before posting will have a glowing pink dldo as theirs upon discovery.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Will you guys stop being so childish and naive to believe that Ford literally uses the best of the best for every aspect of their vehicles. It’s obnoxious at this point. Sorry you feel the need to defend your decision to not use a premium product, which some brief internet searching will reveal is the case.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I, for one, always prefer brief internet searches over the manufacturer's recommendations because the internet doesn't lie.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Will you guys stop being so childish and naive to believe that Ford literally uses the best of the best for every aspect of their vehicles. It’s obnoxious at this point. Sorry you feel the need to defend your decision to not use a premium product, which some brief internet searching will reveal is the case.
Hi Tyler,

You are correct that Ford only uses products that meet their specifications and perform for the intended useful life. Maybe there are superior products out there and you are certainly free to piss away your money on them...
Sponsored