Fuel in oil

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
One thread doesn't define an overall problem.
My Ranger has 12000+ miles with about half highway miles and about half months of trips under 5 miles in town between trips. No issue with oil consumption or fuel in the oil. It has stayed right on the full mark at rest with no evidence of fuel. Oil change at 5000 mile intervals with Motorcraft 5-30 parasynthetic.
This is not to say that the problem does not exist, just an attempt to establish perspective.
Sponsored

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am with Floyd. 25000 (S)miles all types of driving, 5 long haul tows, oil has always stayed at the full level. I have always checked oil level to see if I was low never to see if I gained oil. Sorry to see some having issues, & yes this thread does not really get to the heart of the problem.

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
I am with Floyd. 25000 (S)miles all types of driving, 5 long haul tows, oil has always stayed at the full level. I have always checked oil level to see if I was low never to see if I gained oil. Sorry to see some having issues, & yes this thread does not really get to the heart of the problem.
Okay I will bite, what is the heart of the problem that you and Floyd think this thread isn't getting too.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Okay I will bite, what is the heart of the problem that you and Floyd think this thread isn't getting too.
I don't think there is any one single problem causing the issue. Maybe that is what Larry meant.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think there is any one single problem causing the issue. Maybe that is what Larry meant.
Exactly. There has been several different issues of cause with repairs that have not cured the problem & many that state we have no issues. No one seems to have an answer for either. So again why.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Okay I will bite, what is the heart of the problem that you and Floyd think this thread isn't getting to.
Without at least seeing the problem first hand, hard to say, but best to examine some ideas.
I was only positing that the problem is unlikely to be a design flaw.

That leaves a few alternatives..
1] Operator error
Not likely from the reports made here.
but maybe hard acceleration on a cold engine causing a rich condition before complete cylinder seal.

2] Modifications to the engine in terms of performance.
Such as PCV or intake modifications or performance programs etc.

3] Maintenance issues such as dirty air intake or clogged exhaust.
Easy enough to check.

4] Defect in injectors, rings or fuel pump.
Unfortunately it seems that some dealers would rather make excuses than to get adequate tech training.

5] Maybe even altitude, season change, or fuel quality.

6] What about remote starts? does the truck make repeated tries for some odd reason?

7] If none of these, then some other cause heretofore not comprehended.

This problem was common back when cars had chokes and carburetors.
(cold starts and short trips)
Fuel management today is a bit less slobberdog

Last edited:

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Without at least seeing the problem first hand, hard to say, but best to examine some ideas.
I was only positing that the problem is unlikely to be a design flaw.

That leaves a few alternatives..
1] Operator error
but maybe hard acceleration on a cold engine causing a rich condition before complete cylinder seal.

Easy enough to check.

Unfortunately it seems that some dealers would rather make excuses than to get adequate tech training.

6] What about remote starts? does the truck make repeated tries for some odd reason?

This problem was common back when cars had chokes and carburetors.
(cold starts and short trips)
Fuel management today is a bit less slobberdog
1] Operator error

No.

No modifications whatsoever, nothing, nada.

Easy enough to check.

C'mon now, there aren't enough miles on most of these trucks for any required maintenance besides oil changes.

The problem probably stems from something related here. Although, my truck has been in 8 times for this, and had all the injectors replaced twice, the HPFP and all high pressure fuel lines replaced once. PCV system has been inspected and checked out as functioning properly, both a compression test and leak down test were within spec. This problem was not present during the first 10,000 miles, at all, oil level was always steadily in the same range and always looked like oil when I checked the level. Something happened, I don't know what, and apparently Ford does not know either?

I am in Wisconsin, about 1100-1200ft above sea level. My problem started last winter and continued thru spring summer and fall. I always buy fuel at the same chain of gas stations, every single tank, top-tier gasoline. My truck lives in a heated garage (my shop) when it is at home. I never take short trips as I live in the sticks, 25 miles to work every work day.

I have used the remote start exactly 2 times since I bought the truck new. Heck, I have never even used the auto start-stop, as that was one of the first things I disabled.......nightlight plugged in the 110v receptacle.

Yeah, something is causing it.

I wish Ford would get serious about fixing it. It totally ruins the ownership experience.

jinja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
1] Operator error

No.

No modifications whatsoever, nothing, nada.

Easy enough to check.

C'mon now, there aren't enough miles on most of these trucks for any required maintenance besides oil changes.

The problem probably stems from something related here. Although, my truck has been in 8 times for this, and had all the injectors replaced twice, the HPFP and all high pressure fuel lines replaced once. PCV system has been inspected and checked out as functioning properly, both a compression test and leak down test were within spec. This problem was not present during the first 10,000 miles, at all, oil level was always steadily in the same range and always looked like oil when I checked the level. Something happened, I don't know what, and apparently Ford does not know either?

I am in Wisconsin, about 1100-1200ft above sea level. My problem started last winter and continued thru spring summer and fall. I always buy fuel at the same chain of gas stations, every single tank, top-tier gasoline. My truck lives in a heated garage (my shop) when it is at home. I never take short trips as I live in the sticks, 25 miles to work every work day.

I have used the remote start exactly 2 times since I bought the truck new. Heck, I have never even used the auto start-stop, as that was one of the first things I disabled.......nightlight plugged in the 110v receptacle.

Yeah, something is causing it.

I wish Ford would get serious about fixing it. It totally ruins the ownership experience.
It seems like a massive survey similar to the one for engine build date might give some correlation between cases. Not sure if the poll feature is the best way, as it was hard to get enough response. Might be better to track it all on an Excel sheet and Direct message users who have had the issue before to answer.

Month and year
State
Climate
Auto start/stop disabled?
Driving distance average
Fuel type
Oil type
Etc.

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Exactly. There has been several different issues of cause with repairs that have not cured the problem & many that state we have no issues. No one seems to have an answer for either. So again why.
The heart of the problem is raw gas in the oil, raised crankcase level where aeration of oil/gas will cause damage to the engine. The cause has yet to be determined.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The problem is real for people who are experiencing this. And to you guys who aren't good for you, but go back in this thread and read more . It is very frustrating to have this problem and not have it fixed by Ford. I never had a car or truck were I was told short trips cause a problem to this extent . And the same for me I had no problem till I reached almost 10,000 miles.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The heart of the problem is raw gas in the oil, raised crankcase level where aeration of oil/gas will cause damage to the engine. The cause has yet to be determined.
With me the problem was solved at around 5600 miles so I’m thinking rings as I did from the beginning ...
Regards
Doc

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
With me the problem was solved at around 5600 miles so I’m thinking rings as I did from the beginning ...
Regards
Doc
It is starting to look like this is my situation also. I just passed 5200 miles and the oil level seems to be stabilizing. The real test will be next summer when I tow the boat 500+ miles.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Love/hate of British Engineering... Joe Lucas was the Prince of Darkness for example.
OH so very, very, true....

Many years ago I owned a first generation Range Rover, I took it to a lot of out the way, remote places in the Australian outback, and almost never completed a trip without having to fix, or repair, or jury rig something, to get home.
But as a 4x4 it was so far ahead of it's time in terms of comfort, and off road ability. That 3.5 Buick all alloy V8 was an absolute gem of an engine, (what was GM thinking - selling it to Rover) the pommies fitted it up with twin Stromberg Zenith CV carbs which suited the engine perfectly. Later they fitted Lucas fuel injection, a backward step, - more Lucas reliability joy!

It was always awkward to work on, parts cost a fortune, and the electrics were a joke, but I loved that car, however after unfortunately totaling it against a gum tree one day in the wet (I walked away without so much as a scratch) it was replaced with a perhaps less classy, but much more reliable Ford Bronco.

Last edited:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Anyway on topic -

In terms of the gas in oil issues, I'm thinking maybe, a ring tension issue, in an effort to squeeze more fuel economy from these engines, is Ford using low tension piston rings, these won't seal as tightly against the cylinder wall from new, and will take a lot longer to wear in??

Possibly synthetic oil is just too slippery to bed these in properly in some cases. Short trips, low speed, light loads, low temperatures, are all contributing factors. Borrow a mates trailer, and pull a good load for a day or so.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OH so very, very, true....

Many years ago I owned a first generation Range Rover, I took it to a lot of out the way, remote places in the Australian outback, and almost never completed a trip without having to fix, or repair, or jury rig something, to get home.
But as a 4x4 it was so far ahead of it's time in terms of comfort, and off road ability. That 3.5 Buick all alloy V8 was an absolute gem of an engine, (what was GM thinking - selling it to Rover) the pommies fitted it up with twin Stromberg Zenith CV carbs which suited the engine perfectly. Later they fitted Lucas fuel injection, a backward step, - more Lucas reliability joy!

It was always awkward to work on, parts cost a fortune, and the electrics were a joke, but I loved that car, however after unfortunately totaling it against a gum tree one day in the wet (I walked away without so much as a scratch) it was replaced with a perhaps less classy, but much more reliable Ford Bronco.
Hi Cam,

On my Austin Healy I had a sticker near the light switch that said.... OFF, Flicker, Dim.... :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored