U.S. Ranger Sales Surged in Q1 and Now Match Chevy Colorado’s Volume

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Opions vary. It's not shattered dreams so much as it is we've become fat and lazy as a society. If it isn't electric, with a button, it's to much work.
No, a lot of people really do dream that they'll spend a lot of time driving around with the top off their Jeep, and no doors, and even drop the windshield. The dream doesn't collide with lazy, it collides with the reality that when it takes longer to do all that than it does to make a trip then it just isn't practical. In a place where the climate permits leaving it all off for months at a time then the equation changes, but if you're only going to take advantage of that capability a couple of times a year it's common to wonder if it's worth the tradeoffs the rest of the year. The tradeoffs matter less if it's a third car, and I see a lot of jeeps that are mostly parked in the driveway except for special occasions. (There's nothing wrong with that if that's how someone wants to spend their money, it's just a different category than a general purpose vehicle, like having a side by side for vacations.)

Our '07 Jeep Hardtop has removable panels that release to remove the sections just above your head, and has a nice storage bag to keep them in
Yes, the awesome "convenience" of the special bag. It's a Jeep thing. :)
Sponsored

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I daily drove a mildly lifted Wrangler Rubicon for a few years. Mine was a 2 door, hard top with a manual trans. It was not a great daily driver. It was really thirsty. My round trip commute is 60 miles and I was at the gas station twice a week. The ride and handling are also "unique". It was incredibly capable off road.

I like the Gladiator, just not enough to justify the price.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
The Ranger's sales growth doesn't surprise me. Below is a spec comparison I made with the Taco and Colorado before purchasing my Ranger.

Toyota will likely hold 1st place. ....my prejudice here, but I believe Toyota buyers are basically scared of vehicles, and have bought in to Toyota's well done, self created 'quality' image.

As far as the Nissan, I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole. When I bought our Cherokee w/Active Drive II (4x4 transfer case) the Nissan Xterra was the only option in this class. Every Xterra I've seen over 5 years old is rusting out. No thanks.
Ranger comparison.JPG

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
No, a lot of people really do dream that they'll spend a lot of time driving around with the top off their Jeep, and no doors, and even drop the windshield. The dream doesn't collide with lazy, it collides with the reality that when it takes longer to do all that than it does to make a trip then it just isn't practical. In a place where the climate permits leaving it all off for months at a time then the equation changes, but if you're only going to take advantage of that capability a couple of times a year it's common to wonder if it's worth the tradeoffs the rest of the year. The tradeoffs matter less if it's a third car, and I see a lot of jeeps that are mostly parked in the driveway except for special occasions. (There's nothing wrong with that if that's how someone wants to spend their money, it's just a different category than a general purpose vehicle, like having a side by side for vacations.)

Yes, the awesome "convenience" of the special bag. It's a Jeep thing. :)
Yep, it's a Jeep thing. Curious, have you ever owned a Wrangler, or are you just a keyboard expert on Wranglers?

The topic at hand is removing the top.. not also taking off the doors and drop the windshield. You like to change the conversation, then make grand explanations, don't you?

Once you actually know what your are doing and have some actual experience...
  • It takes less than 15 minutes to fold down the soft top and store the side windows in the bag. Even less if you just fold it down and throw the windows behind the seat.
  • On a hard top it takes less than 5 minutes to remove the panel over the drivers head.. add another 3 minutes for the passenger side.
If you buy a Wrangler because you think the removable top is a cool feature, then can't justify taking 5-15 minutes to actually remove the top..... you are not only lazy but you should also question why you really ponied up the green for the Wrangler in the first place.

Deleted member 1634

The Ranger's sales growth doesn't surprise me. Below is a spec comparison I made with the Taco and Colorado before purchasing my Ranger.

Toyota will likely hold 1st place. ....my prejudice here, but I believe Toyota buyers are basically scared of vehicles, and have bought in to Toyota's well done, self created 'quality' image.

As far as the Nissan, I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole. When I bought our Cherokee w/Active Drive II (4x4 transfer case) the Nissan Xterra was the only option in this class. Every Xterra I've seen over 5 years old is rusting out. No thanks.
Ranger comparison.JPG
I will agree that a good portion of Toyota owners will never leave or switch because of the quality claims, whether actual or just perceived. But you could say the same about any company. They all have their loyal followers, whether earned or not.

olgzr

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
The 4.0/5A combination in the 2nd gen Tacoma is a much more pleasant experience than the 3.5/6A in the 3rd gen.

I test drove 5 3rd gen Tacomas thinking that maybe I just tried a bad one.

Asking that transmission to pick the right gear was like asking my wife to pick a restaurant.

"Which gear?"

"Oh, any is fine"

"How about 2nd?"

"Any gear except 2nd is fine"

"Ok, then how about 3rd?"

"No, not that one either"
I see you’ve met my wife. ??

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Someone earlier mentioned a Prius... Recently observed a Prius with a bumper sticker
"Nice car...said nobody" Someone had a sense of humor.

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 09.55.23.png
:
My son purchased a used 2016 Prius after he realized how expensive a 55 mile round trip to work can be in a car that got 18-19 mpg. The exterior is certainly acquired taste, but inside it is a really nice car. He averages @ 60 mpg with it. Last year we drove it from Phoenix to Albuquerque (@ 450 miles) on a single tank and still had @ a ¼ tank left.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Now, go back and compare base models of each truck, or better yet what $26000 actually buys in each.
Toyota's most loyal customers are those who have never driven anything else, not the other way around.
Floyd's blood runs blue... die hard FORD guy :like:

I turned to Toyota back in the 1990's when GM turned their back on me in regard to a lemon GMC Jimmy I bought. I test drove my first Toyota, traded in the POS Jimmy, and then drove Tacoma's for the next 20 years.

I'm hoping our 2019 Ranger will be trouble free for 17 years and end up with factory original brakes @ 175,000 miles.... like our last Tacoma did.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My son purchased a used 2016 Prius after he realized how expensive a 55 mile round trip to work can be in a car that got 18-19 mpg. The exterior is certainly acquired taste, but inside it is a really nice car. He averages @ 60 mpg with it. Last year we drove it from Phoenix to Albuquerque (@ 450 miles) on a single tank and still had @ a ¼ tank left.
Thing is, there are lots of vehicles which get a LOT more than 18-19 MPG and a 2019 Prius is rated 50MPG highway.
Heck, 40 years ago I couldn't drive my Pinto hard enough commuting to average less than 28MPG. Even with a carburetor and no overdrive, 35mpg was common for highway..
Point is, you don't have to have a Prius or even a hybrid to get good mileage, especially in 2020.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Thing is, there are lots of vehicles which get a LOT more than 18-19 MPG and a 2019 Prius is rated 50MPG highway.
Heck, 40 years ago I couldn't drive my Pinto hard enough commuting to average less than 28MPG. Even with a carburetor and no overdrive, 35mpg was common for highway..
Point is, you don't have to have a Prius or even a hybrid to get good mileage, especially in 2020.

See, I told you Floyd was a die hard Ford Guy :like: He's comparing a Ford Pinto to a Toyota Prius.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Floyd's blood runs blue... die hard FORD guy :like:

I turned to Toyota back in the 1990's when GM turned their back on me in regard to a lemon GMC Jimmy I bought. I test drove my first Toyota, traded in the POS Jimmy, and then drove Tacoma's for the next 20 years.

I'm hoping our 2019 Ranger will be trouble free for 17 years and end up with factory original brakes @ 175,000 miles.... like our last Tacoma did.
Thanks for the compliment!
But if that were true, I came by it honest...I've owned 80+ cars of many different makes, and spent a lifetime servicing the rest.
I may wear the hat, but I don't bear the Tat!
Sponsored

Last edited: