Worth swapping to Tremor rear leaf springs?

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
then either relocating the springs outside of the frame with longer springs or completely linking the rear is an efficient use of one's time for max gains.

I just found out I'm going to be a Dad with my first child
That is what APG said would be required if you want longer travel out of the rear. They said the Deaver leafs only slightly increase travel over the stock springs due to how they are located directly under the frame. The Raptor stops are supplied because the leafs would actually lose upwards travel with the stock bump stops due to the thickness of the added leafs over the axle.

Congrats by the way :clap:
Sponsored

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
The Deavers are probably gonna be flat against the Raptor bump stops at max compression.

As far as droop, you can install them with no shocks, measure how far between the shock mounting points, and compare against the listed extended length for the shocks. Make sure to measure BOTH of them, because the shocks are splayed on the Ranger, so the rear one will need to extend a little further than the forward one.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
You could do a bed cage with the Deavers, even if it doesn't gain you any travel. That would allow you to cut off the stock lower shock mounts, and fab new ones above the axle. This increases ground clearance, and also raises the shocks up, largely out of harm's way.

Without splayed shocks, you may need an anti-wrap device to minimize leaf spring wrap and the resulting rear axle hop.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
You could do a bed cage with the Deavers, even if it doesn't gain you any travel. That would allow you to cut off the stock lower shock mounts, and fab new ones above the axle. This increases ground clearance, and also raises the shocks up, largely out of harm's way.

Without splayed shocks, you may need an anti-wrap device to minimize leaf spring wrap and the resulting rear axle hop.
This did a lot of explaining for me. It is a GREAT read on preventing axle wrap and the different setups to choose from.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
This did a lot of explaining for me. It is a GREAT read on preventing axle wrap and the different setups to choose from.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/
If youre wanting a bed cage might as well go all the way and do a custom spring under leaf setup. If you plan on using your truck bed at all I would highly advise not doing a bed cage. I did one in my zr2 and lost half my bed. There just isn't enough real estate back there like the full size trucks have

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If youre wanting a bed cage might as well go all the way and do a custom spring under leaf setup. If you plan on using your truck bed at all I would highly advise not doing a bed cage. I did one in my zr2 and lost half my bed. There just isn't enough real estate back there like the full size trucks have
I just want enough room to put my pit bike in the center to go fart around on until I get another truck in 3-5 years. Something like this
Screenshot_20210304-121258.png

Bajaforged has one to order, but I requested an estimate for the cage without the spare holder in the center and I asked them how it mounts up.

https://www.bajaforged.com/ford-ranger-bedcage

I don't want a spare in the middle, but I do want 2 vertical spares as close the the bedsides all the way back as possible.

When my yearly bonus is 20k-40k I'll remove the bed, remove the leaf springs, link it, put a fuel cell, and upgrade to a full floater.

I'm reading that a spring under helps with axle wrap, any other benefits?
If I leave the springs on top and 2 link it to prevent axle wrap, I wonder if I could use those links when I add trailing arms down the road. Dang trailing arms are the price of the deavers. This research is never ending.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I just want enough room to put my pit bike in the center to go fart around on until I get another truck in 3-5 years. Something like this

Bajaforged has one to order, but I requested an estimate for the cage without the spare holder in the center and I asked them how it mounts up.

I don't want a spare in the middle, but I do want 2 vertical spares as close the the bedsides all the way back as possible.

When my yearly bonus is 20k-40k I'll remove the bed, remove the leaf springs, link it, put a fuel cell, and upgrade to a full floater.

If I leave the springs on top and 2 link it to prevent axle wrap, I wonder if I could use those links when I add trailing arms down the road. Dang trailing arms are the price of the deavers. This research is never ending.
One way to fix up the Ranger!! I like it! I'll leave mine alone. Xlt 4x2. I drive it like its 4x4, turn off the nanny stuff ( the advance trac) and wheel it like an old 1980 f250. Fun times!

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One way to fix up the Ranger!! I like it! I'll leave mine alone. Xlt 4x2. I drive it like its 4x4, turn off the nanny stuff ( the advance trac) and wheel it like an old 1980 f250. Fun times!
I left mine completely stock and when I changed my wheels, tires, and shocks at once it all snowballed from there. These trucks are fun indeed!

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Once you progress beyond a mid-travel setup, the sky is the limit. We're gonna stop at a mid-travel setup...

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado

You will be able to get a lot more travel with a spring under. Downside to these trucks though is there isn't a lot of room between the frame and inside of the stock fenders.

I'll re-state my opinion on a bed cage. The size of these beds are small. Even mounting the spare tire vertical you will lose a lot of room. If you don't need the truck bed then go for it. If you need the bed don't do it. Let's say you do a 35" tire.... Even without the cage that tire takes up over half the length of the bed.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will be able to get a lot more travel with a spring under. Downside to these trucks though is there isn't a lot of room between the frame and inside of the stock fenders.

I'll re-state my opinion on a bed cage. The size of these beds are small. Even mounting the spare tire vertical you will lose a lot of room. If you don't need the truck bed then go for it. If you need the bed don't do it. Let's say you do a 35" tire.... Even without the cage that tire takes up over half the length of the bed.
I've got a few extra inches with the fiberglass on the inside.
PXL_20210404_150124184.MP.jpg

I definitely need to do more research on a leaf spring setup that I can be content with for a few years. I'll bolt up the deavers and figure out a bed cage down the road. Looks like a spring under would benefit if I had a longer spring pack.

I've already measured the locations of the vertical spares. The bed is small and I only want enough room in the center to put my little bike.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No to hijack the thread, but is there any advantage to be gained by putting on aftermarket shocks (like Fox) and using the shorter bump stops?
I haven't cycled the suspension to see how far the shock compresses the spring pack relative to the bump stop. If the stock springs are flat at the stock bump stop, then I wouldn't put the shorter raptor bump stops unless I had a thicker leaf pack.
Sponsored