Worth swapping to Tremor rear leaf springs?

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
If that's the case why has changing the shocks to correct dampening fix the problem?
It doesn't fix the problem, it makes it less worse. Also you don't need to lift a vehicle to get more travel. The stock leaf springs combined with the enormous bump stop reduce up travel, so you can get a no lift leaf pack, I.e. APG, has significantly more travel then the stock setup and it doesn't lift and you can still maintain the same or higher load capacity. Apg kit has shorter bump stops

The ranger tremor is not lifted in the rear it's lifted in the front. now you can say it's overall height is taller in the rear but that's because of the tires are taller
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
It doesn't fix the problem.

The thing about suspension, is that the best you've ever experienced, is the best that you know.

If you've never really driven a Ranger with Deavers, 2.5 reservoir Kings, and air bumps, you would think that your shock swap had fixed the problem with the stock springs.

To put it simply, it's because you just don't know any better.
Somebody that actually gets it ??

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
It doesn't fix the problem, it makes it less worse. Also you don't need to lift a vehicle to get more travel. The stock leaf springs combined with the enormous bump stop reduce up travel, so you can get a no lift leaf pack, I.e. APG, has significantly more travel then the stock setup and it doesn't lift and you can still maintain the same or higher load capacity.

The ranger tremor is not lifted in the rear it's lifted in the front. now you can say it's overall height is taller in the rear but that's because of the tires are taller
Exactly...

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Somebody that actually gets it ??
I have successfully participated in numerous motorsports disciplines, in several roles- I know the difference between good suspension and bad suspension. Heck, even my wife's Honda Grom has $1,000 worth of Swedish Ohlins suspension on it...

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
I have successfully participated in numerous motorsports disciplines, in several roles- I know the difference between good suspension and bad suspension. Heck, even my wife's Honda Grom has $1,000 worth of Swedish Ohlins suspension on it...
Nice! My mt09 has full ohlins.....man what a difference. Took a really good bike to a fantastic bike

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Nice! My mt09 has full ohlins.....man what a difference. Took a really good bike to a fantastic bike
Yes, the MT09 is one of those "some assembly required" motorcycles.

I like triples too.

My most recent motorcycle is my MV Agusta F3 800. I just installed a fresh set of Pirelli Supercorsa SP tires- hoping to do some track days at COTA this year...
20200605_114135.jpg
20200605_113300.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ford will probably want as much as the Icons. If that's the case I'd go with the Icons for the flexibility instead.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It doesn't fix the problem, it makes it less worse. Also you don't need to lift a vehicle to get more travel. The stock leaf springs combined with the enormous bump stop reduce up travel, so you can get a no lift leaf pack, I.e. APG, has significantly more travel then the stock setup and it doesn't lift and you can still maintain the same or higher load capacity. Apg kit has shorter bump stops

I'm not going to lie that the APG Springs are pretty darn nice. They're definitely great for someone who only wants to level their truck or not lift the truck whatsoever. But my question to you is how much shorter are the bump stops for the APG Springs? To my understanding they're not short by that much compared to the factory. I want to say it was only what half an inch at best? Don't get me wrong half an inch is still quite a bit but not enough to say you're going to gain way more travel Overstock.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It doesn't fix the problem.

The thing about suspension, is that the best you've ever experienced, is the best that you know.

If you've never really driven a Ranger with Deavers, 2.5 reservoir Kings, and air bumps, you would think that your shock swap had fixed the problem with the stock springs.

To put it simply, it's because you just don't know any better.
In case you're wondering I've been doing work in automotive for quite a few years. I'm not just some Joe blow off the street who hasn't done any work whatsoever and just changed some shocks don't went oh my God. Can I look at the Ranger from his Factory form I noticed quite a bit of improvement was needed for the suspension overall. When I found out a lot of people are fixing the main control issues with ride quality and handling with just shocks that told me right there that the shock dampening is the primary problem. You would still be surprised at what shocks will do by themselves on a vehicle that's not set of correctly from the factory. You want to claim that the factory Springs are too stiff? Well understand that the factory Springs allow for us to have the highest payload capacity in our class.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
When we went to the Isle of Man for practice week and race week of the TT, we rented Ducati il mostro 1100S, with full Ohlins suspension and carbon-fiber Termignoni exhaust ($250 a day), to ride the course at triple-digit speeds (there is no speed limits on the Isle of Man outside of town).

The police there ride Ducati Panigale Superbikes.
20160604_091828_001.jpg
20160529_145728.jpg
20160529_152742.jpg

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
I'm not going to lie that the APG Springs are pretty darn nice. They're definitely great for someone who only wants to level their truck or not lift the truck whatsoever. But my question to you is how much shorter are the bump stops for the APG Springs? To my understanding they're not short by that much compared to the factory. I want to say it was only what half an inch at best? Don't get me wrong half an inch is still quite a bit but not enough to say you're going to gain way more travel Overstock.
You gain roughly 30% more usable travel with ApG springs and bump stops over factory. The difference between the ranger bumps and raptor bumps (the ones apg uses) is huge. See pic

Travel is rated up and down....combined. So at a static ride height, if your setup to sit mid stroke and have 14" of travel. You have 7" up and 7" down. That's a very simplistic way of looking at it.

So I can technically have the truck sit lower than stock (assuming right parts are used and geometry accounted for) and still have more travel than the factory suspension. It's all about suspension setup, allowed clearances and a proper cycling.

This idea of needing to lift to gain travel is wrong. You need longer arms/ springs/ shocks....whatever. I don't have to lift. Again....very simplistically put.

I could link the rear, throw on some nice long PR King coils, sit at factory ride height and blow APG's travel numbers out of the water. But that's a complete redesign of the rear end

Screenshot_20210406-091554.png

Last edited:

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Yes, the MT09 is one of those "some assembly required" motorcycles.

I like triples too.

My most recent motorcycle is my MV Agusta F3 800. I just installed a fresh set of Pirelli Supercorsa SP tires- hoping to do some track days at COTA this year...
20200605_114135.jpg
20200605_113300.jpg
I love everything about this post. Italian art in the form of a motorcycle, the military vehicle behind said art work and doing track days at COTA. Can we be friends ?

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
You gain roughly 30% more usable travel with ApG springs and bump stops over factory. The difference between the ranger bumps and raptor bumps (the ones apg uses) is huge. See pic

Travel is rated up and down....combined. So at a static ride height, if your setup to sit mid stroke and have 14" of travel. You have 7" up and 7" down. That's a very simplistic way of looking at it.

So I can technically have the truck sit lower than stock (assuming right parts are used and geometry accounted for) and still have more travel than the factory suspension. It's all about suspension setup, allowed clearances and a proper cycling.

This idea of needing to lift to gain travel is wrong. You need longer arms/ springs/ shocks....whatever. I don't have to lift. Again....very simplistically put.

I could link the rear, throw on some nice long PR King coils, sit at factory ride height and blow APG's travel numbers out of the water. But that's a complete redesign of the rear end

Screenshot_20210406-091554.png
How do you like the Deavers with Raptor bumps? What shocks are you going to use? Are you able to use the stock shock mounting locations? Do you have to use limit straps to protect the shocks?

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
I love everything about this post. Italian art in the form of a motorcycle, the military vehicle behind said art work and doing track days at COTA. Can we be friends ?
Sure.

The F3 was the last motorcycle designed by the late Massimo Tamburini, "the Michelangelo of motorcycles". 148 horsepower, and 381 pounds. It is as exotic as any Ferrari- it makes Ducatis look like Hondas, by comparison. It handles better than anything I've ever ridden. And it sounds like sex on wheels.