Worth swapping to Tremor rear leaf springs?

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I was reading an article about the Tremor and they indicated that they installed softer springs in the rear. They indicated that in order to make payload "best in class", Ford installed pretty stiff rear springs in standard Rangers. I don't do a lot of maximum payloading. I'd rather have a less jouncey ride.

I wonder if you can order the softer Tremor leaf springs through the dealer. What do you think - Would it be worth the trouble?
Sponsored

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
"worth it?" that's for you to decide.

That said, what Ford did is spec a progressive spring pack and upgraded Fox shocks on the Tremor. If you want to replicate that on your truck, a set of Deaver progressive spring packs and Fox 2.0's would do the trick. Very common mod across a variety of trucks Rangers, F150's, Tacomas, full sized rigs, etc.

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I think I will stop by the dealer this week and ask them if they even can get the Tremor springs and see what the price is.

I don't think I would change the shocks. Maybe later when the OEM's wear out.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Do yourself a favor and leave the Springs alone unless you are planning to lift the truck. Most people on this form have already confirmed that changing out the shocks for other brands like eibach Fox and Bilstein will fix the problem.

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Do yourself a favor and leave the Springs alone unless you are planning to lift the truck. Most people on this form have already confirmed that changing out the shocks for other brands like eibach Fox and Bilstein will fix the problem.
It doesn't fix the problem, it makes the problem less worse. It's several issues.....too stiff rear leafs, under damped shocks coupled with the fact of a lack of suspension travel before you hit the bump stops. There are several leaf sets out there that either marginally lift, or no lift at all, that provide a much better ride while also letting the suspension travel.

Having done new rear shocks only makes me want better leaf springs.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It doesn't fix the problem, it makes the problem less worse. It's several issues.....too stiff rear leafs, under damped shocks coupled with the fact of a lack of suspension travel before you hit the bump stops. There are several leaf sets out there that either marginally lift, or no lift at all, that provide a much better ride while also letting the suspension travel.

Having done new rear shocks only makes me want better leaf springs.
No doubt that it will make you want to change leafs if you are lifting the truck but be aware that th main issue somes down to the factory shocks with and without FX4 dont have good rebound control. That is the main issue that causes the jouncy ride. I saw this the other day on an FX4 going down the road.

And unless you are lifting the rear changing the rear leafs wont give you more travel.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Great conversation.. Forum feedback generally says the oem parabolic spring and shock combos are undesirable and people work to remedy with different damping and or replacement.

A new set of traditional progressive leafs is a solid upgrade. Deaver, Old Man Emu or Tremor would provide improvement. Within these you can get more specific about what you need related to spring rate, payload, and height.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great conversation.. Forum feedback generally says the oem parabolic spring and shock combos are undesirable and people work to remedy with different damping and or replacement.

A new set of traditional progressive leafs is a solid upgrade. Deaver, Old Man Emu or Tremor would provide improvement. Within these you can get more specific about what you need related to spring rate, payload, and height.
Correct me if I'm wront but the leafs on the Tremor sre still a parabolic leaf therefore wont give enough change by itself. Also the Tremor has the Fox 2.0 kit so therefore has much better dampening over the other Ranger suspension from the factory.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Correct me if I'm wront but the leafs on the Tremor sre still a parabolic leaf therefore wont give enough change by itself. Also the Tremor has the Fox 2.0 kit so therefore has much better dampening over the other Ranger suspension from the factory.
Unlike all other models, Tremor rear springs are a standard multi-leaf design.

20210321_155850.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unlike all other models, Tremor rear springs are a standard multi-leaf design.

20210321_155850.jpg
That will explain why they have a slight lift over other Rangers. With that said unless you are trying to lift I say keep the factory leafs. After changing shocks huge improvements are made.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
When developing vehicle suspension, you always start with the correct aprings, and then apply the correct damping to control those springs- if the springs are wrong, there is no shock absorber that will fix the problem...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When developing vehicle suspension, you always start with the correct aprings, and then apply the correct damping to control those springs- if the springs are wrong, there is no shock absorber that will fix the problem...
If that's the case why has changing the shocks to correct dampening fix the problem?

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
If that's the case why has changing the shocks to correct dampening fix the problem?
It doesn't fix the problem.

The thing about suspension, is that the best you've ever experienced, is the best that you know.

If you've never really driven a Ranger with Deavers, 2.5 reservoir Kings, and air bumps, you would think that your shock swap had fixed the problem with the stock springs.

To put it simply, it's because you just don't know any better.
Sponsored