Wireless Charging Install

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Most phones are limited to 7.5W wireless charging (all iPhone at least unless it's a MagSafe charger).
pixels do 15W, samsung 10W with generic chargers. my main problem is keeping the thing cool enough in that area while charging + wireless AA; I've been experimenting with a tiny fan which seems promising. If you're trying to fast charge then a wire is definitely the way to go, but if you just don't want the battery to drain then wireless makes sense if you were going to toss the phone in the tray anyway to get it out of your pocket. any of these options will still be more power than plugging into the truck's usb (assuming the wireless charger is hard wired or in a 12v usb adapter).
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Been doing some measurements and a little research.
S22 will only wireless charge at 15W with a Samsung charging pad, otherwise capped at 10W. :-/
I also have a Pixel 6 - It should wireless charge at 15W with 3rd party pads. Can do 21W with a Pixel stand. But this is my work phone and don't care if its charged.

I did notice one of the reasons why my phone gets so hot. I had double sided taped the little module on the cord to the underside of Dirks tray - RIGHT UNDER THE PHONE! And that little thing gets HOT.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Been doing some measurements and a little research.
S22 will only wireless charge at 15W with a Samsung charging pad, otherwise capped at 10W. :-/
I also have a Pixel 6 - It should wireless charge at 15W with 3rd party pads. Can do 21W with a Pixel stand. But this is my work phone and don't care if its charged.

I did notice one of the reasons why my phone gets so hot. I had double sided taped the little module on the cord to the underside of Dirks tray - RIGHT UNDER THE PHONE! And that little thing gets HOT.
good point on the S22. I hadn't found that little detail about it.

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation āœˆ
Possible. Heat kills electronics. I have an iPhone and I think they charge more slowly than android. My pad might produce less heat with my phone. I have the Bluetooth module taped to the bottom of the tray and itā€™s only slightly warm. Iā€™d relocate yours like you plan.
Looks like your question has been replied to but I just saw this and what the heck, might as well post a picture. Iā€™ve been using it continuously since installing it. Still love it.

IMG_4446.jpeg

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
Looks like your question has been replied to but I just saw this and what the heck, might as well post a picture. Iā€™ve been using it continuously since installing it. Still love it.

IMG_4446.jpeg
where did you get the pad at ?

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
The only way to avoid the overheating is MagSafe for iPhone 12 and newer (or the upcoming QI2 standard for this years Androids), MagSafe always holds the phone in the best position on the pad and allows charging with 15W without too much overheating, I have done 6+ hour drives with Apple Music playing and Google Maps navigating and my iPhone 13/14 Pro got barely warm.

I'm playing with a new idea where the phone sits on the right side of the console (and it has a little coin/stuff box on the left) but that won't support the Max models.
IMG_0327.jpeg

Even on an angle, the phone is still perfectly positioned.
IMG_0341.jpeg

MagSafe also fits the RHD bracket
IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Dirk! I like the new concept. You don't want stuff sitting on a charging pad and I find I forget from time to time.

Wish I liked iPhones.
Maybe someday androids will get magnetic charging.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
So I bought the other pad - now have both the Car Wireless and the SANMIDO.
My observations and feedback(Opinion!)
  1. As Dirk showed it does fit as is in his tray but stands taller.
  2. Charging wise its the same as the Car Wireless - I had thought the CW was only 10W as stated on the Amazon page, but it is labeled as 15W and did charge my pixel at 12-13W. S22 is still only 10W due to phone limitation. I get same watts measured for both and charging times are reported as the same also.
  3. When not in use the idle current was a little more with the Sanmido.
  4. I didn't do any heat measurements, others have reported the Sanmido is cooler.
In the end I am sending the Sanmido back to Amazon, as for me there is no compelling reason to change it. Maybe I should have done some heat testing, but I think my hat problem was the fact I had the module taped under the pad.

So until Qi2 comes out and I get a new phone that supports it I will be using wired charging for long trips.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
@DirkM
I just saw where there are magsafe cases for Samsung phones. Reviews claim they work.
I may be interested in trying one out - what inserts do you have available with magsafe?

D-goers

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ranger
Occupation
Auto tech
Are you still making these? I would like one in black. How much are they and how long would it take to get? Thank you, Dwayne

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
As I said, everything is packed right now, no printing. Send me a private message and I will come back to you once I can print again.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
As I said, everything is packed right now, no printing. Send me a private message and I will come back to you once I can print again.
I have a 3D printer. Do you sell or give out the stl?
Sponsored