Wireless Charging Install

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation āœˆ
the charger recommended earlier in the thread wasn't available when I bought mine, so I got a different one that looked very similar.

I'm also using an Otterbox Defender Pro case that's rated to be used with wireless charging, if that makes a difference.

anyone have a current known reliable wireless charging pad link available so I don't have to dig through 22 pages of posts for it?
Ivā€™e used this one with Dirkā€™s tray since July. I didnt like the little car logo and the ring glows green in the dark. I also wired in a separate power supply for faster charging and use an iphone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MYNNKV9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

BOCTOK

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Analyst
Dirk's tray is 1000% worth it. Perfect fit and looks great! The charging pad was the only weak point. I have an Otterbox case and it works just fine with all of my wireless chargers in the house, but for some reason, I was having trouble getting the phone into the sweet spot on the Car Wireless pad. I had already purchased another pad from Amazon (Sanmido) that appears to have a slightly larger coil area within the pad. It also fits snuggly into Dirk's tray. No problem with the phone charging on it. I will find another use for the Car Wireless one.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
The car wireless charging pad hasn't changed since the beginning but as all QI based chargers, there are various limitations. If the phone is not perfectly centered, it gets hot. And most phones only charge with 7.5W on QI which is much less than wired charging usually allows. The car wireless charging pad supports up to 15W if the phone is compatible, perfectly centered and if it is connected to a QC3.0 power source.

The Sync 3 USB-A ports only supports about 2A at 5V with is 10W max. Enough for wired charging of a single phone (and CP/AA through that wired connection) but not enough to power a wireless CP/AA adapter plus a QI charging pad.

The only way to get a reliably higher wireless charging rate is Apple's MagSafe on iPhone 12 and newer. These charge with 15W if connected to a 30W PD USB-C power source and the iPhone is always perfectly centered.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
The car wireless charging pad hasn't changed since the beginning but as all QI based chargers, there are various limitations. If the phone is not perfectly centered, it gets hot. And most phones only charge with 7.5W on QI which is much less than wired charging usually allows. The car wireless charging pad supports up to 15W if the phone is compatible, perfectly centered and if it is connected to a QC3.0 power source.

The Sync 3 USB-A ports only supports about 2A at 5V with is 10W max. Enough for wired charging of a single phone (and CP/AA through that wired connection) but not enough to power a wireless CP/AA adapter plus a QI charging pad.

The only way to get a reliably higher wireless charging rate is Apple's MagSafe on iPhone 12 and newer. These charge with 15W if connected to a 30W PD USB-C power source and the iPhone is always perfectly centered.
My phone supports up to 15w wireless charging, and I installed the QC 3.0 port for the charging mat. that part appears to work just fine.

I guess I should investigate whether it's perfectly centered or not. I'm not using your base because I like a different orientation of my phone (we've had a conversation about that in the past), but if that orientation is preventing my phone from aligning with the charging mat properly, then I'm going to have to do something differently.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Ivā€™e used this one with Dirkā€™s tray since July. I didnt like the little car logo and the ring glows green in the dark. I also wired in a separate power supply for faster charging and use an iphone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MYNNKV9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
so I bought this charger, hoping that the larger charging pad area would help with the overheating issue, at least. time will tell on that.

it doesn't help with the BT interference/restarting problem I'm having, though. I think I'm going to try relocating my AAWireless puck. It's currently hiding beneath the charger in the tray, but I'm going to try putting some adhesive velcro on it and sticking it to the underside of the center stack to place it above the phone/charger. might help with the interference issue?

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation āœˆ
so I bought this charger, hoping that the larger charging pad area would help with the overheating issue, at least. time will tell on that.

it doesn't help with the BT interference/restarting problem I'm having, though. I think I'm going to try relocating my AAWireless puck. It's currently hiding beneath the charger in the tray, but I'm going to try putting some adhesive velcro on it and sticking it to the underside of the center stack to place it above the phone/charger. might help with the interference issue?
Possible. Heat kills electronics. I have an iPhone and I think they charge more slowly than android. My pad might produce less heat with my phone. I have the Bluetooth module taped to the bottom of the tray and itā€™s only slightly warm. Iā€™d relocate yours like you plan.

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
I think there was a firmware update that mentioned the restarting issue. Have you opened the App and updated the interface through the app?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I think there was a firmware update that mentioned the restarting issue. Have you opened the App and updated the interface through the app?
AA Wireless firmware?

I looked awhile back and there wasn't anything at that time. I'll check again.

** Just checked. Nope, mine's up to date.

jlinarez

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat 2019

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
How was the fit with this mat on DrikĀ“s tray? Do you have a picture?
Its appears to be a little smaller so should work. And 15W vs 10W so might charge faster.
Old.jpg
New.jpg

Might give it a try as I have noticed when using my phone with AA wireless the 10W pad does not keep up.
And I had already wired in a higher power USB port

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Its appears to be a little smaller so should work. And 15W vs 10W so might charge faster.
Old.jpg
New.jpg

Might give it a try as I have noticed when using my phone with AA wireless the 10W pad does not keep up.
And I had already wired in a higher power USB port
I changed over to the Sanmido a few months ago and last week did my first long road trip with it. It's marginally better than the car wireless one. when the phone is running AA, it adds a little bit of charge over time, but it's not what I'd call fast. biggest thing I noticed with it, though, is that my phone doesn't get so hot on it. so that's a big plus.

I also wired in the higher powered usb port. I may wind up just putting a cord into that port instead of the wireless charging pad so I can actually get a decent charge fairly quickly.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
Most phones are limited to 7.5W wireless charging (all iPhone at least unless it's a MagSafe charger).

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Most phones are limited to 7.5W wireless charging (all iPhone at least unless it's a MagSafe charger).
I have a Samsung Galaxy S22. Reportedly will do wireless charging up to 15W.

Whatever it gets from the charging pad, it's barely more than it's using when running AA (and with the car wireless pad, it seems about equal - except the phone gets too hot and shuts down).
Sponsored