First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
New member here. I found this forum after searching for some brilliant ideas about wirleess charging installations. I would like to inquire from Dirk if you still are making the panel? I am very interested in buying one from you.

It's unbelievable (as others have commented) that Ford did not come up with a solution for this. I have a new S21 Ultra 5G phone and without this panel, wireless charging is almost impossible.

I have the 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 with virtually all the available packages, but no wireless charging solution.

Dirk, please DM me if you can sell me one of your panels. Thank you for your brilliant solution.
I agree ----
it is a great looking mod - something like that shoulda come with the truck from ford. im looking into it as well what stops me is I use car play a lot to get maps on my screen (Waze saves me so much time in DFW traffic) so I need to plug in to use it and losing my center tray storage is kinda a probem because ford put no storage in these trucks. I am reading up on wireless CarPlay adapters to see if that would help make this work for me also. but man, he came up with a great looking solution for wireless charging!!!
Sponsored

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
can someone post the links for the wireless CarPlay adapters? and does anyone know how to get the radio buttons to appear when car play is in use? FM / Sat etc???? wish there was a physical button for source or ford would let us keep the presets on the screen.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
If you are in CarPlay you have the Ford “App” to go back to Sync3 mode and change your radio station. In CarPlay your Sync 3 audio keeps playing until you start playing audio in CarPlay. No difference between wired and wireless CarPlay.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
If you are in CarPlay you have the Ford “App” to go back to Sync3 mode and change your radio station. In CarPlay your Sync 3 audio keeps playing until you start playing audio in CarPlay. No difference between wired and wireless CarPlay.
I know there had to be a way to do that .... thanks will try next time im out so on the truck screen ope n up the ford app and it should be there? sounds easy enough :thumbsup:

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I received my insert and charging pad a few weeks ago from @DirkM - it fits really well, and charges my phone perfectly. I also added a wireless carplay module from Amazon and that has worked very well too. I never plug my phone in anymore in the truck - just hop in and toss my phone into the charging tray and off I go. Super convenient.

I also did not really love the crosshatch of the 3D printer, so last weekend I took the time to pull it back out, sand it down, and paint it with truck bed liner. Here are a few shots of the process and result:

First, here is the finished result:
IMG_5040.jpg
IMG_5039.jpg

And here is how I started. The charging pad was just *barely* too snug for the hole, so it didn't fit perfectly flat, and sort of folded up a few millimeters in the middle. Certainly not a problem, but not perfect enough for me. I started by clamping the insert in my vice and using a dremel tool to open up the cutout for the wireless charging pad just a touch to eliminate this problem:
IMG_5021.jpg
IMG_5022.jpg
IMG_5023.jpg

Then I changed to some sanding heads on my dremel, and smoothed everything out (and cleaned up some of the rougher parts left from my more aggressive sanding attachment) a bit more:
IMG_5024.jpg
IMG_5025.jpg
IMG_5026.jpg
IMG_5027.jpg

Then I switched to hand-sanding, first with 150 grit, then 320. When the sanding was finished, I masked off the interior area where the charging pad sits, and wiped it down as final prep for the paint.
IMG_5028.jpg
IMG_5029.jpg

Here is the paint I used - this goes on REALLY thick, so spray it from farther away than you think you should, and do very quick passes.
IMG_5030.jpg

Here it is, just after adding final coat:

Peeling off the masking after the paint finished drying:
IMG_5033.jpg
IMG_5034.jpg

Masking removed, ready to re-install charging pad:
IMG_5035.jpg

Charging pad installed, ready to put back into the truck. The pad fits perfectly now, and while the texture of the paint is a bit more aggressive than the texture of the rest of the interior of the truck, I like it. If you are contemplating picking up one of these setups from @DirkM, I highly recommend it. It's great!

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

Last edited:

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
I ordered one of these last week: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072JC1DQF?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
I see out of stock at the moment but thought it was pretty neat as it already has everything to draw power from wherever you like with the fused link, and you can then run the female USB connector in under Dirk's bracket for the charging pad.
I wanted to thank you for this idea. I combined it with a ATR fuse tap on fuse 35 to easily add a 3A 15W USB under the steering wheel.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know about other trims, with Lariat and the right dash screen (used for NAV/Phone and Entertainment) , on the entertainment screen you can use it to change stations(between presets) and sources (am/FM/ Sirius/Bluetooth) works when using CarPlay as well.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
can someone post the links for the wireless CarPlay adapters? and does anyone know how to get the radio buttons to appear when car play is in use? FM / Sat etc???? wish there was a physical button for source or ford would let us keep the presets on the screen.
You can use the left dash screen to change between sources when using CarPlay, can also you to change stations (presets)

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
The adapter @SVTPaul recommended wasn't in stock when I bought mine so I went with THIS, also made by DROK.
1622391587893.png

I have not installed it yet but was curious how much bang for the buck will I get. So with a USB volt/Amp meter adapter and my phones time to charge as an indicator I decided to do a relative test.
Using my LG V40 with battery at a bout 35% as a test subject.
Stating with the Existing Truck USB ports:
With a wired connection - 5.07V @1.04A resulted in a charging time of 2:16 (2 hrs - 16 min)
With the "Car Wireless" pad - 5.12V @1.07A resulted in a charging time of 2:32
Switching to the DROK adapter running off truck 12V source (I used the handy power port and pigtail from @WLFPIR8 )
With a wired connection - 8.45V @0.85A resulted in a charging time of 1:13 - A FULL HOUR FASTER!
With the "Car Wireless" pad - 8.86V @0.9A resulted in a charging time of 2:13 - about 15min faster.
I also used a QC2 charger plugged into 110AC as a means of further comparison. Results were exactly the same with wired and the pad as to the DROK adapter
So conclusions:
Max advantage of adding the module is when using a cable. I think this would be great for trips after I get my AAWireless module.
Using with the pad doesn't seem like its worth it, but it is an improvement. Seems to be limited by the 10W capacity of the pad (and the phones wireless configuration, I read somewhere that LGs can utilize 10W and that Samsung for ex only 7.5W - what that really means in terms of charging times - I DON'T KNOW! ?)
I will still install this module and since mine has 2 ports hook up both the pad and a an extra cable to plug the phone in when I need FAST charging.
I now this is not the perfect controlled experiment, but I think it does give a good general indication of performance.
Hope this helps others

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
The adapter @SVTPaul recommended wasn't in stock when I bought mine so I went with THIS, also made by DROK.
1622391587893.png

I have not installed it yet but was curious how much bang for the buck will I get. So with a USB volt/Amp meter adapter and my phones time to charge as an indicator I decided to do a relative test.
Using my LG V40 with battery at a bout 35% as a test subject.
Stating with the Existing Truck USB ports:
With a wired connection - 5.07V @1.04A resulted in a charging time of 2:16 (2 hrs - 16 min)
With the "Car Wireless" pad - 5.12V @1.07A resulted in a charging time of 2:32
Switching to the DROK adapter running off truck 12V source (I used the handy power port and pigtail from @WLFPIR8 )
With a wired connection - 8.45V @0.85A resulted in a charging time of 1:13 - A FULL HOUR FASTER!
With the "Car Wireless" pad - 8.86V @0.9A resulted in a charging time of 2:13 - about 15min faster.
I also used a QC2 charger plugged into 110AC as a means of further comparison. Results were exactly the same with wired and the pad as to the DROK adapter
So conclusions:
Max advantage of adding the module is when using a cable. I think this would be great for trips after I get my AAWireless module.
Using with the pad doesn't seem like its worth it, but it is an improvement. Seems to be limited by the 10W capacity of the pad (and the phones wireless configuration, I read somewhere that LGs can utilize 10W and that Samsung for ex only 7.5W - what that really means in terms of charging times - I DON'T KNOW! ?)
I will still install this module and since mine has 2 ports hook up both the pad and a an extra cable to plug the phone in when I need FAST charging.
I now this is not the perfect controlled experiment, but I think it does give a good general indication of performance.
Hope this helps others
Thanks for posting your test results. I also tested the Drok power supply I bought with a 12V battery lead to Dirk's wireless charging pad and my Galaxy S10 indicated fast charging, however it is a still a little slower than my Samsung wireless pad on my desk. The Drok I bought shows available in limited stock again for now...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072JC1DQF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
You can use the left dash screen to change between sources when using CarPlay, can also you to change stations (presets)
I have the regular sync 3 one -- no left screen

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
RIGHT! I meant to say Right dash screen. ?‍♂ sorry for the confusion