Wireless Charging Install

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
Nice photos, I will pm you for a replacement. The good thing is that the ABS brackets should withstand the heat much better.
Sponsored

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Nice photos, I will pm you for a replacement. The good thing is that the ABS brackets should withstand the heat much better.
No need for a replacement @DirkM this one still works perfectly. I really appreciate your standing behind your product, but it is on a minor warp in it.
I am still amazed at how many people have commented on it when I tell them it did not come with the truck.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Welp, some good news and some bad news.

Good news - you can use a USB extension to add a port to the face of this mount. I bet you could adjust your 3dprint @DirkM to include a space for this to snap in.

This is the one i used, but a much shorter one would work:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0978T843P/

Here it is installed:
21-07-31 10-53-18 1231.jpg

The bad news is this was the second location. I initially installed further forward, but neglected to account for the height needed above (was primarily concerned about below). In the above pictured position I can easily attach a cable still. My setup is that the other USB port is powering the carlinkit for wireless carplay, and then i have the power for the wireless charger tapped into the fuseblock at fuse 37.

Here's the initial position i tried.

21-07-30 14-54-02 1219.jpg

I ended up filling this hole in with silicone (just what came to mind) then painting, but it still looks a little scuffed. I'll probably break down and just order a second bracket, and place the USB properly the first time.

Few thoughts on wiring. I used this power source:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JHH294R/

21-07-30 18-39-23 1225.jpg

ground point:
21-07-30 15-20-12 1222.jpg

cable just ran along the side. i pulled the trim to the right, and was able to route it through no issue.
All bundled:
21-07-31 10-51-48 1229.jpg

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good news - you can use a USB extension to add a port to the face of this mount. I bet you could adjust your 3dprint @DirkM to include a space for this to snap in.
Nice work but I still wonder what you are planning to plug in there. The wireless CarPlay/AA adapter sits under the tray and the second Sync 3 USB port doesn't have much power for anything else. Wouldn't it make more sense to plug in a USB power adapter in the 12V outlet? Or a USB-A flash drive that the Sync 3 can play music from?

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Nice work but I still wonder what you are planning to plug in there. The wireless CarPlay/AA adapter sits under the tray and the second Sync 3 USB port doesn't have much power for anything else. Wouldn't it make more sense to plug in a USB power adapter in the 12V outlet? Or a USB-A flash drive that the Sync 3 can play music from?
I figured it's useful for sync upgrades, jump drive or other devices for direct play. I will say the carplay tries to use the carlinkit, so plugging in a second phone for that wont work.

I didnt want to lose a socket above, hence my wiring addition, plus it's fairly clean.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed that there a quite a few of you that have an iPhone 12/mini/pro/max and still prefer the car wireless charger over the MagSafe solution. I suppose that's because it is more plug and play and the white Apple MagSafe charger is not to everyone's liking.

I was playing around a little and came up with this, not as clean as a hardwired USB charger but plug and play.

I used this little 12V to USB-A/USB-C adapter and made little cable clip to hold the wire up, almost invisible. And as you can see, the USB-A QC3.0 port is left free, easily accessible to charge the passenger's phone or power anything else.
IMG_2964.jpeg

IMG_2965.jpeg

For those who prefer black over white, Mophie makes a "MagSafe compatible" wireless charger that has the same dimensions as the Apple MagSafe charger and blends in very well. It's limited to 7.5W though compared to the 15W max with the Apple MagSafe charger on a 30W power supply.
IMG_2957.jpeg
IMG_2959.jpeg
IMG_2962.jpeg
IMG_2978.jpeg

In the future, if you would like a couple of the cable clips with the MagSafe bracket, just let me know.

Last edited:

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I figured it's useful for sync upgrades, jump drive or other devices for direct play. I will say the carplay tries to use the carlinkit, so plugging in a second phone for that wont work.

I didnt want to lose a socket above, hence my wiring addition, plus it's fairly clean.
Makes sense. If you have a digital caliper, pm me the dimensions of the cutout (in x.y mm please) and I will see if/where it can be fit in the bracket.

Allan_Ardor

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Automotive Service Tech
Hello everybody,

I have been working on something new, it's not plug and play though because it needs a USB-C QC3.0 plug to charge properly. What do you all think?

IMG_2715.jpeg
Any progress update for this revision?? is it available?

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any progress update for this revision?? is it available?
The one in the picture is available and works great for the iPhone 12/12 Pro. It needs some fine tuning for the new iPhone 13 Pro, it's camera sticks out so much that the phone doesn't lay flat anymore. It still charges fine. but it's no longer a perfect fit.

Bdem62

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Director, Safety Division
A big shoutout to @DirkM for the wireless charger insertand wireless charger! It’s the best interior mod that I’ve done (and a great addition to the Carlinkit for Apple CarPlay). I’ve attached a couple photos.

D40FE671-D30C-42D3-B145-BA18F001F2AC.jpeg
2041324E-BB7F-40CC-A82A-ED7BB371A000.jpeg

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
FYI... Both Firfox and Chrome give this warning... not sure of the real level of risk... just saying.
1635340341816.png
Doesn't seem to be happening for me. Maybe it was temporary, or maybe your PC date got buggered up?

LizardOfElgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, FX4, White Platinum, 501A, Tow Package, Factory spray in liner
FYI... Both Firfox and Chrome give this warning... not sure of the real level of risk... just saying.
1635340341816.png
Posted from safari on my iPad. No warnings.
Sponsored