Winter blend gasoline approved for sale a month early in an effort to curb rising gas prices

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Have to agree with you. Being in the NE of the country we have higher costs because of the blend we have to use. I also see a reduced mileage of 2 to 3 mpg while using it. Around here the switch over is probably in the next week or so. Only reason price goes down slightly is because the demand is way less than it is from the summer months
Actually the winter blend is easier to refine since they do not need to remove the hexane and butane that makes the gas more volatile. Not sure how much that translates to price.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Have to agree with you. Being in the NE of the country we have higher costs because of the blend we have to use. I also see a reduced mileage of 2 to 3 mpg while using it. Around here the switch over is probably in the next week or so. Only reason price goes down slightly is because the demand is way less than it is from the summer months
that is what the car and driver article I posted states plus demand historically drops off after the summer. But who can really figure out why gas prices fluctuate so widely at times and why a country that leads in global petrol production has to beg unfriendly folks to increase supplies.
I do know that oil and gas companies are raking in record profits.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
that is what the car and driver article I posted states plus demand historically drops off after the summer. But who can really figure out why gas prices fluctuate so widely at times and why a country that leads in global petrol production has to beg unfriendly folks to increase supplies.
I do know that oil and gas companies are raking in record profits.
Record profits compared to - when? Compared to profits/losses 2 years ago when the gov shut everything down? And how much 'record profits'. If I made 40K for the last 5 years, but make 41K this year, I can say I'm making record profits. Without actual numbers and yearly comparisons, the phrase 'record profits' means little and just becomes a political talking point.

ranger 2020

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020ranger 22 Ecosport 21 Honda PCX
Occupation
retired
Well, I have been driving over 50 yrs. I was always under the impression that " winter blend" gas basically was to help carbureted engines start better in cold weather. I always get a kick out of the oil company bs. Gotta raise the price because of blending "winter blend fuel". Then in spring we gotta raise the price because we gotta make "summer blend" fuel. Wouldnt you think the price would go back down? Also, everything but my lawnmower is fuel injected. I really think my Ranger would run just fine on regular gas year round.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Record profits compared to - when? Compared to profits/losses 2 years ago when the gov shut everything down? And how much 'record profits'. If I made 40K for the last 5 years, but make 41K this year, I can say I'm making record profits. Without actual numbers and yearly comparisons, the phrase 'record profits' means little and just becomes a political talking point.
https://www.wral.com/exxonmobil-posts-another-record-profit-as-oil-prices-remain-high/20542510/

ExxonMobil earned $18.7 billion, excluding special items, up 6% from the second quarter results which had been the record and up 177% from a year ago. Earnings per share of $4.45 soared past the $3.79 forecast by analysts surveyed by Refinitiv.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Also Exxon is listed as one of the top companies. paying relatively small amount in taxes, this will change under new tax law but that kicks in for 2023 earnings, will be interesting to see what exxon pays out on their record breaking profits in 2022. Ford and GM also on the list. Exxon Mobil CEO earned only $18.4 M plus another $3m cash bonus. Maybe 2022 will be a better year.

https://www.americanprogress.org/article/these-19-fortune-100-companies-paid-next-to-nothing-or-nothing-at-all-in-taxes-in-2021/#:~:text=ExxonMobil's effective federal income tax,million in federal income taxes.

Last edited: