Winter blend gasoline approved for sale a month early in an effort to curb rising gas prices

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Previously, the earliest winter blend gasoline could be sold was November 1, but it's an arbitrary date and shifting the date for the sale of winter-blend gasoline to October 1 shouldn't cause any major environmental problems experts say. The date is set mostly for logistical purposes at a time when temperatures are generally lower.

"The major pipeline that brings and distributes the gasoline to California gas stations is now in the process of switching over"

https://www.ksby.com/news/local-new...an-effort-to-curb-rising-gas-prices?_amp=true
Sponsored

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
It's November next Tuesday. By the time the pipeline completes the change over and deliveries start it will be November.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
looks like the article was written on 10/04 and references oct 1 as the "new" date for "allowing" winter gas to be sold. OK all you residents of the Golden State - have gas prices dropped and if so is it because of winter gas. Another groundhog day merry go round on gas prices in an election year, release more from the strategic petro reserve, etc. For a country that leads the world in oil production - very lame.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Previously, the earliest winter blend gasoline could be sold was November 1, but it's an arbitrary date and shifting the date for the sale of winter-blend gasoline to October 1 shouldn't cause any major environmental problems experts say. The date is set mostly for logistical purposes at a time when temperatures are generally lower.

"The major pipeline that brings and distributes the gasoline to California gas stations is now in the process of switching over"

https://www.ksby.com/news/local-new...an-effort-to-curb-rising-gas-prices?_amp=true
The federal government allows gasoline retailers to start selling winter blend gasoline on September 15th. The article you linked is talking about California. Here in the northeast most stations already have winter blend in their tanks.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well, there goes my gas mileage... IF prices do decrease, but they never have as long as I've been driving, I have to buy more to go the same distance.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Well, there goes my gas mileage... IF prices do decrease, but they never have as long as I've been driving, I have to buy more to go the same distance.
I remember back in the 70s when they first mandated that gasoline be reformulated to make it less volatile, they didn't consider what the impact would be in the winter. That first winter with the reformulated gas folks had all kinds of trouble starting their vehicles. That winter it was a requirement to have a can of starting fluid in the car along with your scraper. Was certainly a boon for the road side service industry and the makers of ether starting fluid. The next year they allowed the refiners to go back to what they had always had refined and the hard starting went away and that was the beginning of "winter blend".

FWIW, I have been driving for over 50 years and gas prices have always gone down starting in the fall.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The federal government allows gasoline retailers to start selling winter blend gasoline on September 15th. The article you linked is talking about California. Here in the northeast most stations already have winter blend in their tanks.
FWIW article on this, regulations vary by state/region but not surprisingly CA leads the way in special blends, winter formulation overall less expensive to produce.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15339380/the-vapor-rub-summer-versus-winter-gasoline-explained/

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I don't know if we get winter blends here in the deep south. But let me get this straight. I know winter blend is for environmental reasons, not for less costly gas. They will sell you winter blend for a few cents cheaper per gallon, but you'll burn more of it. How is that money saving? I know winter blend is for environmental reasons, not for less costly gas. Has anyone done the math to see if the money savings with higher ethanol blends is offset by the reduced MPG?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the summer blend is for environmental reasons - less volatile , so in a sense the so called winter blend is what was used prior to federal mandates to reduce emissions.

Now I cannot discern any difference between summer and winter with respect to starting with the 2 GDI vehicles I own, they both start up immediately.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The same guys deciding this are the same people who thought releasing MAYBE a few days supply of oil from the strategic reserve would do anything a few weeks ago.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I remember back in the 70s when they first mandated that gasoline be reformulated to make it less volatile, they didn't consider what the impact would be in the winter. That first winter with the reformulated gas folks had all kinds of trouble starting their vehicles. That winter it was a requirement to have a can of starting fluid in the car along with your scraper. Was certainly a boon for the road side service industry and the makers of ether starting fluid. The next year they allowed the refiners to go back to what they had always had refined and the hard starting went away and that was the beginning of "winter blend".

FWIW, I have been driving for over 50 years and gas prices have always gone down starting in the fall.
Not so in CT. Prices NEVER went down. You have me beat, only been driving 45 years.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the rules restricting gasoline volatility in the US go back some 30 yrs, I cannot recall it being much of an issue with the exception of the starting issues dcg333 mentioned. I do find it interesting that in CO CARB regs were adopted this year, I don't think though we have to use CA gas blends or gas would be more expensive - however in the near future gas could cost .30/gal more as a result of Denver being a "serious" violator of ozone emissions, but there is hope as our valiant gov has vowed to fight the EPA, surely it has nothing to do with this being an election year.
Now I will say the high ozone levels when I lived in Denver did irritate my eyes - and those with respiratory issues it's much worse. Have not forgotten the markedly better air quality back in 2019 when driving was far down, but most folks have short memories.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I don't know if we get winter blends here in the deep south. But let me get this straight. I know winter blend is for environmental reasons, not for less costly gas. They will sell you winter blend for a few cents cheaper per gallon, but you'll burn more of it. How is that money saving? I know winter blend is for environmental reasons, not for less costly gas. Has anyone done the math to see if the money savings with higher ethanol blends is offset by the reduced MPG?
Over the past 50 years I typically have seen 2 to 3 less mpg in the winter. This caused by winter bend gas, more ideling, cold fluids, increased rolling resistance and more enriched mixtures. I saw the same reduction in the winter when "winter blend" gas was the year round formulation. It is hard to say how much of this reduction is attributed to the winter gas.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Over the past 50 years I typically have seen 2 to 3 less mpg in the winter. This caused by winter bend gas, more ideling, cold fluids, increased rolling resistance and more enriched mixtures. I saw the same reduction in the winter when "winter blend" gas was the year round formulation. It is hard to say how much of this reduction is attributed to the winter gas.
Have to agree with you. Being in the NE of the country we have higher costs because of the blend we have to use. I also see a reduced mileage of 2 to 3 mpg while using it. Around here the switch over is probably in the next week or so. Only reason price goes down slightly is because the demand is way less than it is from the summer months
Sponsored