Turkey vs Gas Prices

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Ok may be dating myself but didn't seem that many years back where you could spend $50 at a grocery store and get a free turkey up to 16lbs and I recall getting one free at Safeway and another at Kroger, now spend $25 and get a turkey for .99/lb

Everyone focuses on gas prices but when is someone going to address these unamerican prices on the turkey, I have wild ones that roam my development along with elk (pic of yesterday's elk visit off my deck) but I'm lawfully barred to harvest either. I'd support a strategic national turkey reserve.

elknov16.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
dtech

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Game laws vary all over or so it seems. Turkey season is over here (NM), until the spring hunt. Elk and deer are open, in most areas. In the mean time, hunt Eurasian doves as they're unregulated.

OP
OP
dtech

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Game laws vary all over or so it seems. Turkey season is over here (NM), until the spring hunt. Elk and deer are open, in most areas. In the mean time, hunt Eurasian doves as they're unregulated.
and dove hunting certainly helps with shotgun shooting skills, assuming you use one. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok may be dating myself but didn't seem that many years back where you could spend $50 at a grocery store and get a free turkey up to 16lbs and I recall getting one free at Safeway and another at Kroger, now spend $25 and get a turkey for .99/lb

Everyone focuses on gas prices but when is someone going to address these unamerican prices on the turkey, I have wild ones that roam my development along with elk (pic of yesterday's elk visit off my deck) but I'm lawfully barred to harvest either. I'd support a strategic national turkey reserve.

<snipped a really cool photo>
Poultry prices are insane right now, because the PTB have declared a "Bird Flu" pandemic, and they have been culling birds by the millions, since early this year. The Feds show up at the farm, run a PCR test on your birds, and if you have a positive result, you are required to kill your flock.

More information here.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
So use a bow or something quiet and don't tell anybody. It's not like you have to take a Turkey to a butcher or anything.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't flaunt the law, especially game laws. A little background...

I literally grew up in a sporting good store, in the Kansas City, MO area. I have fished and hunted in places that most folks have never heard of, and taken fish and game, both rare and exotic. I've owned more weaponry than most gun stores. But now...

I still own a few firearms, but my love has gone back towards the airguns of my youth. Airguns may be suppressed without any encumbrances, which means they're almost silent! In New Mexico, where I now live, allows airguns for a variety of game. And, even more species are being added this coming season (April 1st., 2023).

Yes, you can take deer and even some African big game with airguns, but they certainly are your average BB gun! But all said and done, stealth is the main reason for airguns. You miss (hopefully not), you often can do a follow up, and the game is none the wiser.

If you want more info, visit my airgun site: www.airgunguild.com

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Hmm recall the demise of a dancing banana figure - I'm just not enuff of a risk taker to tempt fate here.
Smile, wait in line, and accept your turkey ration. Freedom!!

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't flaunt the law, especially game laws. A little background...

I literally grew up in a sporting good store, in the Kansas City, MO area. I have fished and hunted in places that most folks have never heard of, and taken fish and game, both rare and exotic. I've owned more weaponry than most gun stores. But now...

I still own a few firearms, but my love has gone back towards the airguns of my youth. Airguns may be suppressed without any encumbrances, which means they're almost silent! In New Mexico, where I now live, allows airguns for a variety of game. And, even more species are being added this coming season (April 1st., 2023).

Yes, you can take deer and even some African big game with airguns, but they certainly are your average BB gun! But all said and done, stealth is the main reason for airguns. You miss (hopefully not), you often can do a follow up, and the game is none the wiser.

If you want more info, visit my airgun site: www.airgunguild.com
Normally I would not say just kill a random Turkey for Thanksgiving but as Dtech said the prices are skyrocketing. Our government doesn't care about it so I care less about their laws. A man has got to eat.

OP
OP
dtech

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Poultry prices are insane right now, because the PTB have declared a "Bird Flu" pandemic, and they have been culling birds by the millions, since early this year. The Feds show up at the farm, run a PCR test on your birds, and if you have a positive result, you are required to kill your flock.

More information here.
Jim Morrison once was tied to a poultry shortage and certainly didn't try to hide his culpability, from the Doors back door man :

You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans
I eat more chicken than any man ever seen, yeah, yeah
I'm a back door man, whoa
The men don't know
But the little girls understand

thank goodness he wasn't into turkeys........or beavers

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Definitely dating myself here but I remember getting a 24 lb turkey for $14 bucks. I slow cooked that one on my smoker grill and to this day I’m asked when are you doing another one? Well when I have a day and a half to spare I guess!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Normally I would not say just kill a random Turkey for Thanksgiving but as Dtech said the prices are skyrocketing. Our government doesn't care about it so I care less about their laws. A man has got to eat.
I live in south eastern Massachusetts and IMHO turkeys have become a bigger nuisance than either pigeons or sea gulls. They are everywhere, aren't afraid of people or cars. They typically travel in flocks of 15 or so and will walk right out into the road infront of you. You don't want to hit them because they are big enough to cause damage but they won't clear the road as you approach. I watched a person coming the other way stop for the turkeys I had stopped for and after honking the horn at them with no effect started to move forward slowly and they drove over one which just ducked down and stood up after the car had gone over it, it still didn't move out of the road.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Just came back from grocery shopping, and Turkey was freely available, and prices didn't seem all that bad. $0.49/lb for the store brand, up to $1.49/lb for the fancy ones.

Tales I was told about turkeys in high school:
Turkeys are dumb. So dumb that they can drown in a rainstorm. They stand under a stream of water running off the corner of the roof, and once they start looking up at it, they freeze and stand there until they drown. LOL. (I have no idea if this is actually true or not. I am just telling a story I was told.)

Alternate facts:
Ben Franklin wanted to nominate the wild turkey for the national bird instead of the bald eagle. I have read stories that they are difficult to take in the wild, as they have sharp ears and eyes.

OP
OP
dtech

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For all of those who dislike turkeys for whatever reason, was elk hunting sitting on a knoll with an old dirt road 150 yds away, caught movement off to the side, a flock of turkeys crossing the road, then 2 bears come out of the forest, each pounces on a turkey, drag them back into woods and proceed to rip them apart and consume, scratch 2 gobblers.
Sponsored