Will you be upgrading to a 6G? Why or why not?

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Not interested in the 6G. I usually buy something I really like and fits my needs and keep it a very long time. I still have my 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 8 cyl with 123,000 miles on it now. It fit my needs for many years when I was showing and breeding Labradors plus it could pull my trailer when I went for bulk sawdust/shavings for horse bedding. I don't show dogs any longer, but still needed something that could pull my utility trailer and had a back seat. So the Ranger fit my needs. Now I call my Mountaineer my "farm car" as I use it to drive the 700' to and from the horse barn and it goes to Tractor Supply maybe twice a month (it's actually easier for me to load and remove things from the cargo area than the bed of the Ranger... my one complaint about the bed is it's too high for me).
Sponsored

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
The next vehicle I have to upgrade will probably be my super duty, will keep the ranger as a daily run around until it dies, especially once I find a house closer to the shop, less miles.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Not anytime soon.

Wife gets the next new vehicle in the family. And we don't do large or multiple car payments. It'll probably be another 6 or 7 years before I'm shopping another new vehicle for me. And depending on how well the Ranger is holding up, it might not even be a truck.

TdotReckless

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT - 2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Personally I cannot stand how the 6G rangers look on the exterior but the interior is really nice. I was on the fence about the new Raptor for the longest time but the price tag of it possibly being 80-90k in Canada made me decide on buying a f150 raptor instead.

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor - Lariat (Black)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
No sir. Little scared of lack of qc at Ford right now. My 21 is doing great and payment is cheap. Maybe look at one of the GMC twins later this year but no hurry.
I agree that lack of quality control could be an issue. I seem to have received a well built 5g.... buying a 6G is a gamble of sorts.

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
No...the 6G is almost as big as F150 and cost almost as much...and it's butt ugly...
I was parked next to one in Detroit last week... I couldn't see any size difference between the 5G and the 6G.

Wablackwell22

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger
Occupation
Paralegal
I was parked next to one in Detroit last week... I couldn't see any size difference between the 5G and the 6G.
Its pretty neat that you got to see it before its "out." Was it camouflaged? Living in Detroit, how often do you get to see "Test Mules" out and about?

OP
OP
grammat95

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maritime Professional
[/QUOTE]
Its pretty neat that you got to see it before its "out." Was it camouflaged? Living in Detroit, how often do you get to see "Test Mules" out and about?
I work in Detroit, and I live about an hour away. I see test mules usually a couple times a week. I live right near the Fiat / Chrysler proving grounds.... so I see their vehicles often too. Ford has been running the Rangers around without Camo for months now. Oddly enough, I was in Denver for work at the beginning of the month, and Ford was unloading test mule Rangers right in front of my hotel (partially camo'd).

IMG_5226.jpg

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I'd only upgrade if there was a PHEV option, and even then I may not update. Def needs some interior upgrades and bed step. I don't hate my lariat gauge cluster.
My daughter let me drive her Maverick PHEV and it get's great mileage, but the loud clicks and clacks are somewhat unsettling when it's on the battery, That said, hers has been reliable!

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
sad. a big part of why i got a new ranger is having an older one. the 4g and older rangers were great trucks. my 2005 ranger has only needed dealer work one time- the air bags recall. other than that it just keeps on rollin with basic up keep and consumable parts replacement. I expected similar of the 5g ranger. my only real issue with the 5g is transmission.
I went through my 4G from top to bottom and plan on keeping both. Both are paid for, but if push comes to shove, I'd keep the 2005 4G. I trust it as much or more than the 2020 5G. Since adding the single driveshaft in the 5G, the transmission has settled down and shifts very smooth now. But I still trust the 4G over the 5G.

5G gets me 28.5 mpg if I keep the tack below 2000 RPM when I shift. If I let it go to 2500 RPMs, I get 25.5 MPG.

The 2005 Ranger gets 19-20 mpg. Both look good.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
No, will be keeping it. I like the color and my 5g is equipped exactly the way I wanted it except for the small standard infotainment screen but it works well with good resolution so I can live with that.

It has been dependable and trouble-free except for a few minor glitches. Very satisfied with the overall performance of the truck but would like it to have better mpg. A little over 11,000 miles on it. Also not pleased with the convenient features that Ford is deleting on the newer models.
Sponsored