Will you be upgrading to a 6G? Why or why not?

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I will be upgrading, but not right away, maybe not the first MY in the USA! I love my 2019 Ranger and am in no hurry to get rid of it. There are going to be some improvements and new technology that I want, so probably the second MY of the 6G in the USA is what I'll be ordering!

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious what my fellow 5G members think about upgrading to the 6G. I listed my theoretical pros / cons below.

Pro:
- Possible next generation 2.3 ecoboost with direct and port injection
- Modernized interior with wireless carplay / android auto
- Possible 2.7 ecoboost availability
- Better HVAC control layout
- Bed side step
- Improved gauge cluster (Those of you with Lariats will appreciate this.)
- Most likely will offer integrated factory brake controller

Cons:
- Styling is questionable. Certainly not as recognizable as 5G
- More tech... more problems right?
- Gear shifter is 100% electronic... no mechanical linkage

I plan on upgrading mainly for the improved interior. Let me know what you think!
No plan to swap. Love my 2020 paid for Ranger XLT. for swapping:
Pros - cannot imagine any
Cons - It is not my current truck'
- Costs more money

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Haha, I just went from a 2000 Ranger to a 2022 Scab and the difference is so tremendous I think I'll be staying with my new one for awhile. Other than the Raptor version I really have no interest, I looooove my 22. But of course I'll be watching with great enthusiasm and the new interiors look really good plus the gauge cluster is really neat. But really it's the same chassis (I think?!?) and if I need more power I can always add a tune down the road. But the Raptors are f*****g sick as all get out. I'd take one of those but don't have an extra 80k, or whatever they are, sitting around. Thanks though. I'd rather keep mine and get another Mustang.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘05 Jeep TJ & ‘19 JLU; ‘19 Ranger Lariat; Charger
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
For several reasons, I have no interest in the 6G and will keep my 2019 Ranger Lariat (Sport) for the foreseeable future.

Like Dgc333, I bought a Ranger because there was no Dodge replacement for my outgoing Dakota available at the time, otherwise I would have gone that direction. By luck, I ran into a used Ranger in late 2019 with just over 12,000 miles; came off a mid-lease cancelation for a business that needed to upgrade to an F-150. Purchased at a ridiculously substantial discount. Last week it turned 18,000 miles. I call it my “dump truck,” as it makes a few trips monthly to the township dump/recycling center. Otherwise, it’s just a toy for errands here and there, and for the occasional use by family and friends (my little brother calls it a “tow truck,” as he uses it to pull his boat). Most importantly, I like the looks of it (great blue) and it’s paid.

The new 6G does absolutely nothing for me. No personality; just another Ford pickup truck. There are also no assurances that it would be able to be ordered with all the equipment my completely loaded Lariat has due to “supply chain” issues, nor am I confident at all that I could buy it at the right price. And Ford just has too many problems these days, including repeated vehicle recalls and a lack of quality control. If and when the time comes for a new pickup, I will look first to Dodge/Ram for a possible Dakota replacement (hybrid “yes,” EV “no”). But I suspect, given my low cost investment in the Ranger and my minimal annual mileage, that that could be years away.

5DAF5538-4E29-4E23-B27D-13B86EA4515F.jpeg

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Nope. I like all the mods I did to mine and don’t want to start over. I also really dislike the look of the 6g. If I was forced to switch, I would probably consider the new Colorado before the 6g (unless could get the Raptor for cheaper than what I suspect it will be).

Rebel13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ranger tremor
Occupation
Truck driver
I myself am very happy with my tremor especially the looks with the mods I've done. Not a big fan of the new body style at all. Too much of a wannabe f-150 for me. Looks good on the 150 just not on the ranger.

Ron L.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Quite honestly I don't mind the look of the 6G for the most part but I think, for me anyway, color has a whole lot to do with that. Some colors look good and some do not on that truck. I have been very happy with my 2019 XLT so, for me, the only 2 scenarios that would have me trading would be being forced into it due to catastrophic failure/major collision or at my age just getting a wild hair that I want the Raptor to drive through retirement.

Wablackwell22

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger
Occupation
Paralegal
I usually only keep a car for about 2 years or so, but when I decided to get into a truck from a sedan, I thought about waiting for the 6g, but decided to buy a 23 (5G) instead because I like the looks better. I'm sure the 6g is going to have a better interior/creature comforts, but I like the 5g appearance better.