Will you be upgrading to a 6G? Why or why not?

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I'm curious what my fellow 5G members think about upgrading to the 6G. I listed my theoretical pros / cons below.

Pro:
- Possible next generation 2.3 ecoboost with direct and port injection
- Modernized interior with wireless carplay / android auto
- Possible 2.7 ecoboost availability
- Better HVAC control layout
- Bed side step
- Improved gauge cluster (Those of you with Lariats will appreciate this.)
- Most likely will offer integrated factory brake controller

Cons:
- Styling is questionable. Certainly not as recognizable as 5G
- More tech... more problems right?
- Gear shifter is 100% electronic... no mechanical linkage

I plan on upgrading mainly for the improved interior. Let me know what you think!
A big NO! I love my 2020 Lariat. Can’t imagine the 6G being any better.

EE85D62E-548A-4DBF-A792-9B4DF20E8E31.jpeg
Sponsored

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
I’ll upgrade if the prices aren’t insane & if there is a 2.7 or hybrid/ PHEV option for them tax breaks.
I’m really only interested in a super stripper base model so I can modify how I want, a PHEV or the Raptor if I get my trust money in time.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
FWIW, I just rec'd my annual NC property tax. Inspection Notice and Registration renewal (It's all in one in NC), and my 2005 XLT 4x4 Edge Ranger is now appraised at $3,180 with a property tax of $28.62.

This is a truck that I just sank a tad over $10K into... going through it from top to bottom replacing everything except the transfer case and axles. All new Jasper engine and transmission, AC, Alternator, suspension parts, front bearings, front axles, driveshaft, brakes, shocks, and more. Warranted for 3 years, 100,000 miles.

I think I'd keep this over my 5G if push came to shove as it is simpler to repair, and probably more reliable in the long run. So will I be moving to the 6G?? Hmmm.... I think NOT!
Always hated that NC property tax. Hated it.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Always hated that NC property tax. Hated it.
About 10 years ago I looked around in eastern Tennessee for 2 years looking for the right place to move to.

When I first moved to NC in the early 1980's they actually taxed all inventory in your home, and the money you had in the bank! People would temporarily withdraw $$ to lower their taxes. If you contested them, an auditor would actually threaten to inventory the contents of your home. D@mn invasive... and probably unconstitutional.

In my previous state of residence, Louisiana, I had gotten a speeding ticket in a small town speed trap. 3 years later I moved to NC. I got a call about 6 months after my move asking me to report to the county traffic court. Seems the ticket information had been forwarded to NC, and they wanted to speak to me to determine if points should be added to my NC record to raise my insurance rates in NC! I argued that the ticket was issued by another state, and NC did not have jurisdiction... I wasn't a resident of NC, and that I had broken no NC statutes. They awarded me insurance points and raised my auto insurance. Then made me take the written test when my license was up for renewal.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier

I work in Detroit, and I live about an hour away. I see test mules usually a couple times a week. I live right near the Fiat / Chrysler proving grounds.... so I see their vehicles often too. Ford has been running the Rangers around without Camo for months now. Oddly enough, I was in Denver for work at the beginning of the month, and Ford was unloading test mule Rangers right in front of my hotel (partially camo'd).

IMG_5226.jpg

[/QUOTE]

When I did driving for a few years, I used to see Camouflaged Test Mules all the time, some were easy to figure out, such as one of the GM triplets and there was a Cadillac as the front end and body were dead give away. I believe it was the early test mule at the time for what would become the short lived XTS. The best was in late 09' I happened to see a Mustang Test Mule that had IRS, I was in an Econoline Van so not high off the ground. But you could tell by stance which was similar to the Focus with the slightly raised rear end at distance, best guess was it was early testing to get a low down on how it would handle with IRS which you could see clearly when you got close to it, I could see the lower control arms opposed to a live rear axle. I think it wasn't long after in 12' or 13' rumors were about of the Mustang going IRS and my though was "Duh, saw the Test Mule myself"

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
About 10 years ago I looked around in eastern Tennessee for 2 years looking for the right place to move to.

When I first moved to NC in the early 1980's they actually taxed all inventory in your home, and the money you had in the bank! People would temporarily withdraw $$ to lower their taxes. If you contested them, an auditor would actually threaten to inventory the contents of your home. D@mn invasive... and probably unconstitutional.

In my previous state of residence, Louisiana, I had gotten a speeding ticket in a small town speed trap. 3 years later I moved to NC. I got a call about 6 months after my move asking me to report to the county traffic court. Seems the ticket information had been forwarded to NC, and they wanted to speak to me to determine if points should be added to my NC record to raise my insurance rates in NC! I argued that the ticket was issued by another state, and NC did not have jurisdiction... I wasn't a resident of NC, and that I had broken no NC statutes. They awarded me insurance points and raised my auto insurance. Then made me take the written test when my license was up for renewal.
Beautiful state in many areas. Grew up there. While I'd moved away as a young man due to a job, I ended up having a job bring me back years later. Lived there an additional 12 years or so. Definitely some positives for living there. But things like their personal property tax bullshit most definitely ensure that I do not miss living there. Car insurance was a royal PIA as well. And their DMV....... don't get me started. Ok, I'll say this. Their DMV is THE worst of any state I've ever lived in.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Personally I'd go back to the 60's with points and condensor. - No electronics. EMP proof!
Yeah.....no..
The only two technologies I like are fuel injection and pointless ignition.
Stand alone systems with spare computer modules should suffice for your scenario. I don't know where you would get your fuel though.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There would be fuel around for a little while. Spare parts would need to be in a Faraday cage.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
There would be fuel around for a little while. Spare parts would need to be in a Faraday cage.
My reasoning is I don't need to prep.
I need to know who is and be willing to take it from them.
That is what it will rapidly devolve to in the event of an EMP.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typically those who do prep aren't going to advertise and are not going to let you take it from them.

Life is messy, huh.

I think we both hope it never comes to that.

Danny RN

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired Army/Registered Nurse.
Half that much money spent on a seventies Ford or Chevy half ton would be my first choice.
My first vehicle was a 1990 Isuzu reg cab 4x4 truck. I loved that thing. For some reason the Ranger "kind" of reminds me of it. My Ranger is paid for so I won't be looking for a new one for a loooong time.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first vehicle was a 1990 Isuzu reg cab 4x4 truck. I loved that thing. For some reason the Ranger "kind" of reminds me of it. My Ranger is paid for so I won't be looking for a new one for a loooong time.
I owned a 1982 Isuzu Diesel P'up. Bought new. 4 speed on the floor with AC and power steering. Slow, but great mileage and reliability. It started instantly (after the 3 second glow plug warmup time) at -9F !!

Great truck. I hauled IBM equipment all over my East Texas, north Louisiana service area. IBM didn't pay their "Customer Engineers" a great deal of $$, but that was one of my favorite jobs. Complete freedom.

I drove the truck until some young girl rear ended me at a stop light. Put my knee through the dash right where the headlight switch was. Had it repaired but it was never the same. Kept it for another 10 years.

Got a call one evening from someone wanting to purchase it sight unseen. Offered me $1200 for it over the phone. This was 1996. I told him to come and get it. A year went by and I'm still driving it... door bell rings at 9:30 pm! I answered and found a fella with a car carrier 18 wheeler sitting in front of my home. He said he was there to pickup my truck and give me the cash. I cleaned out the truck, sign it over and took the cash and a receipt.

I asked him about the "deal". He told me it was heading to Brazil along with a boatload more that he had been collecting to export.

Easiest sale I ever made.
Sponsored