Wife borrowed truck, found it in 4H next morning, now clicking in steering going over speed bumps...

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
So oddly enough I am now unable to replicate the clicking feeling in the steering column. Which is really odd. It was a very noticeable click. And now it’s just gone.

In other news I offered the wife the 2019 and I’d buy a 2021 Tremor but apparently she doesn’t want it THAT bad heh
Sponsored

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Someone should invent a knob cover for that thing. Something that is also waterproof. My dog bumped it while driving once. Also, My friend has a VW Tiguan that got A fried parking brake when she spilled coffee on her center console. I’d hate to lose my 4wd and TM.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
That dial sucks. What a terrible idea. Same with the headlight dial. And the hazard button. If I have the screen to operate the radio and climate, why have all the extra crap below it. Terrible use of space in a small truck.

I'm in 4WD almost everyday just getting to my house and I've left it on and bumped it on before. It get's a little screwy like something is wrong and then the truck works it out. It's an odd vehicle.

bobkat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4
Occupation
Retired electrician
Vehicle Showcase
On one of the 1/4 mile vids I was watching online the guy puts it in 4h to run the track

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
On one of the 1/4 mile vids I was watching online the guy puts it in 4h to run the track
Yes, as long as you don’t have to steer. Straight line 4H would I guess improve launch traction...?

bobkat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4
Occupation
Retired electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Tfltruckoffroad video showing Dyno and track run With stage 3 tune- name of the video is something like “you’ll be surprised how much quicker this ford ranger “

he does the run in 4H

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I thought in order to put it into 4H or 4L you have to first put into neutral? If so how is it possible to unintentionally put the truck into 4 wheel drive? I had to come to a complete stop, go to neutral and then 4H before I got onto the beach today...not fast enough for dick to honk at me...

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
I thought in order to put it into 4H or 4L you have to first put into neutral? If so how is it possible to unintentionally put the truck into 4 wheel drive? I had to come to a complete stop, go to neutral and then 4H before I got onto the beach today...not fast enough for dick to honk at me...
2H to 4H on the fly up to 68 mph. There is a note that lifting throttle might help engage 4H.

Stop and shift to neutral, then 4L can be engaged.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
2H to 4H on the fly up to 68 mph. There is a note that lifting throttle might help engage 4H.

Stop and shift to neutral, then 4L can be engaged.
Something different with mine then...when ever I engage 4H/4L, it tells me to shift into neutral first

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Something different with mine then...when ever I engage 4H/4L, it tells me to shift into neutral first
i would have expected 4H to reset on turning the truck off. But haven’t tested yet.

But you can shift from 2H to 4H on the fly

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i would have expected 4H to reset on turning the truck off. But haven’t tested yet.

But you can shift from 2H to 4H on the fly
FX4?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's strange because every 4x4 I've had you can shift from 2H to 4H without going into N. Only 4L you should have to put it in N. :crazy:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's strange because every 4x4 I've had you can shift from 2H to 4H without going into N. Only 4L you should have to put it in N. :crazy:
I'll have to check...probably user error

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Sid, I've shifted from 2H to 4H multiple times while driving (and I have an FX4). If I want to go into 4L, I have to stop and shift into neutral first. Same with getting out of 4L - to get out, I have to shift into neutral, but to go from 4H to 2H I can do it on the fly.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'll have to check...probably user error
I know every once in a while I might have to let off the gas a little for it to engage while I'm shifting on the fly. I've never had to put it in N though. Play around with it tomorrow if you're back on the beach. I can't remember but do you also have terrain management? If you do you should play around with the sand setting. When I'm out in the desert in the soft sand washes it really helps.
Sponsored