Why order an FX4 package after reading this forum?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
the E locker and skids plates and trail control / terrain modes are enough to make it worth it. sure people upgraded stuff on them but so do people that buy whatever package or model. however, if i could have gotten a base super cab and added just the stuff i wanted i likely would not have paid for the fx4 group. but it was not a possibility at the time. still is not i bet.
Sponsored

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
You're they guy saying spacers are better than aftermarket wheels ( because it's hard to pick out good ones ), You could probably just take the " It's a Jeep thing " off your statement and I'll agree with you.
Spacers are totally safe if properly constructed and torqued. Lot better than crazy offset wheels.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
You're making my exact point. The $3800 or whatever it costs to upgrade to the tremor package, IMO is a complete waste of money. In the aftermarket you can get the exact tires, wheels, and suspension that you want for $3800 or less, and still have all of your stuck stuff to sell to the highest bidder on marketplace. All in you're probably more like $2800 or $2400 once you sell what you took off.

My point is, the tremor package represents bad value, and looking at it as "you get $XX of stuff for a $500 discount!" is just bad economics, straight through. But, Ford knows people are lazy, and a lot of people dont want to fuss with their truck after they buy it, so sell them a turn key "off roader" and they can go park on snowbanks at the mall.
Yeah, you’re onto something there. I always say, the XLT is the sweet spot for value. I picked up a Tremor because it had all I need and more. As I reflect on this and other decisions I’ve made I equate it to the toilet paper I buy. 3-ply extra soft. Right beside the extra absorbent. I could buy the 2-ply, could fold that and have 4-ply, but I’m too lazy. Nope, I splurge on the good stuff. I chose my truck like I chose my toilet paper = what I think my ass deserves.

N559br

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
This is one of those questions you can answer for yourself. What percentage of FX4 owners actually feel that parts must be replaced? I think it's probably about 1%. I wanted a tremor but I hate those suede seats. Does that mean I have to go out and put new seats in?

I've put 30k miles on my Lariat/FX4 without really noticing a need to change suspension out. I tow heavy and haven't found a need to replace the rear leafs, while other folks on the forum feel they're the worse thing about the truck. I don't really do hard off reading, but make regular use of the locker and 4*4 mode on slick ramps. I couldn't do without those.

Go out and test drive an FX4 and a 4x4 and a tremor. Then make up your mind.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Changing the leaf springs will not change the truck payload, that is determined by the stock axle rating
you do realize they make stronger leafs for trucks so they can support the weight better right? had a set of old man emu dakar hds on my old tacoma they did great for supporting weight when i had a trailer and such with all my armor and other gear i had back then. deaver and old man emu make hd leafs for the ranger

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
My FX4 rides nicer than my Subaru Outback. Needs no suspension mods for daily driving. Only mod so far are 255/75/17 C Load Firestone Destination XTs. As it currently rides, it’s plenty for most remote off grid camping in the west.

Jld57

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Not trying to be a dick, just curious why someone would pay more for this despite, it seems, a lot of FX4 owners on here immediately paying $500-2000 to swap out/upgrade the suspension.
Rear locker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't done the deep dive into all of the replies here yet, but...
...I wanted the FX4 for the decal on the bed-side.

I kid!!!!

I wanted the FX4 for the 4 wheel drive + the rear locker + the terrain modes (for just in case my wife had to use my truck in inclement weather - to have an easier way to put the truck into a condition for whatever environment she was in without knowing about 4-wheel drive) + skid plates + front tow hooks.

In October of 2019, when I bought my truck, initially was looking for an XL + STX + FX4 but couldn't find one that wasn't being treated like rare, sought after gold. I ended up getting into a slightly used (12,000 miles) 2019 XLT FX4 for WAY under the price of of the XL FX4.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Rear locker
Again, no need for the FX4 package if the rear locker is the only reason you want that package.

FX4 Package: $1,295
Rear Locker (can add to any Ranger): $420

Jld57

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Again, no need for the FX4 package if the rear locker is the only reason you want that package.

FX4 Package: $1,295
Rear Locker (can add to any Ranger): $420
You don't get the cool stickers

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
Hickeost: 532908 said:
Not trying to be a dick, just curious why someone would pay more for this despite, it seems, a lot of FX4 owners on here immediately paying $500-2000 to swap out/upgrade the suspension.
Mostly because a great bunch of us are not stupid. If you get shocks with more resistance to motion, it will help in some conditons, and be worse in others. There is no perfect shock. Unless they are magnetically dampened.
The FX4 package is pretty awsome when you see the way the 4x4 works on a FX4, and see that it is about 2 times as effective as a standard 4x4.
Sponsored