Why order an FX4 package after reading this forum?

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Where did you find an aftermarket limited slip front diff?
Heh, let me clarify. The limited slip is stock, but is actually very good (rumor has it they used technology from when they owned Land Rover - I have no way to verify). I am going to post the video again here, but this forum mangles it into upside down, so please take appropriate action (turn monitor upside down, stand on your head, download and view with VL3, whatever ;-).

When I wrote front suspension I meant I swapped the XLT stock shocks/springs with Icon stage 2. TBH, we find Icon Stage 2 a bit harsh around town, but great off-road when going over or coming off of obstacles, and it really smooths out washboards around 30 mph without giving up too much traction. Here's the vid.....you'll see first one wheel, then the other come up off the ground and stop and the opposite wheel give traction. The grade was about 10% and it had been raining off and on for a few hours.....

Sponsored

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Oh boy - I had that one coming. Honestly the transmission was re-mapped for 2020, and mines a '21. Its still a bit lost at times, but they've tamed down the gear hunting quite a bit. It does make its power in the high RPM, but its not a terrible combo. The setup in the ranger was much more pleasant to drive, but I will say the piece of mind on things like HVAC & electrical not breaking, as well as engines with no head gasket histories, I'm happy in the Tacoma. One other thing, I was able to get the exact cab configuration that I wanted this time around. Crew cab & long bed.

I'll miss the ranger. It was a hoot and a half to drive, and slamming my foot to the floor always made me smile, but I am real happy to be rid of the reliability issues I was experiencing.
I hope, and believe, that you saw the smartass humor in my post. Smartass humor is 100% the way it was intended. I like this forum for two reasons, (1) Ranger knowledge, ideas, experiences and (2) the dumbass idiots (meant that affectionately!) with their crazy off the wall comments. Comments that often have me in tears with out of control laughter. (Seriously, they're idiots! :crackup: ) So with that in mind I couldn't help but try to singe your tail feathers a bit.

Wish you nothing but the best with the Taco. Hope you get 250K+ trouble free miles out of it. Damn shame you got a bum Ranger. But it can and does happen to every manufacturer.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Heh, let me clarify. The limited slip is stock, but is actually very good (rumor has it they used technology from when they owned Land Rover - I have no way to verify). I am going to post the video again here, but this forum mangles it into upside down, so please take appropriate action (turn monitor upside down, stand on your head, download and view with VL3, whatever ;-).

When I wrote front suspension I meant I swapped the XLT stock shocks/springs with Icon stage 2. TBH, we find Icon Stage 2 a bit harsh around town, but great off-road when going over or coming off of obstacles, and it really smooths out washboards around 30 mph without giving up too much traction. Here's the vid.....you'll see first one wheel, then the other come up off the ground and stop and the opposite wheel give traction. The grade was about 10% and it had been raining off and on for a few hours.....

Your truck doesn't have a limited slip front diff though.

The truck did that electronically with wheel speed sensors and brakes.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
A basic Colorado as in one with a NA 4-banger ? If that I'd say the poor sot deserves some sympathy. But then again maybe he off roads with that journalist who has made his mark here and has earned the recognition that comes with that badge and has no reservations about displaying it to the rest of us rugged wannabees.
?

Think it's a V-6. But also pretty sure it's never seen as much as a logging road.

People are weird.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I came here for the FX4 talk and didn't expect to read a bunch of Tremor bashing, but here we are, so I guess I will wade into this debate.

I bought a Tremor instead of an FX4 for two reasons:
1) The Tremor rides better than any other stock Ranger, 2WD or 4WD. You cannot change my mind on that.
2) It looks cool. ?

I think that both the FX4 and the Tremor are more than capable enough for my needs since my Ranger is my everyday vehicle and not a dedicated off-road toy, and while I have intentions of exploring off-road, I intend to avoid the gnarly stuff as much as possible and stay well within the limits of the Tremor.

Now, if I were inclined to build a true Ranger-based off-road beast, I would probably start with the FX4 since it has a lower starting cost than the Tremor with the majority of the hard to add goodies and ditch the FX4 suspension, wheels and tires in line with the OP's question.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
I came here for the FX4 talk and didn't expect to read a bunch of Tremor bashing, but here we are, so I guess I will wade into this debate.

1) The Tremor rides better than any other stock Ranger, 2WD or 4WD. You cannot change my mind on that.
2) It looks cool. ?

I think that both the FX4 and the Tremor are more than capable enough for my needs since my Ranger is my everyday vehicle and not a dedicated off-road toy, and while I have intentions of exploring off-road, I intend to avoid the gnarly stuff as much as possible and stay well within the limits of the Tremor.

Now, if I were inclined to build a true Ranger-based off-road beast, I would probably start with the FX4 since it has a lower starting cost than the Tremor with the majority of the hard to add goodies and ditch the FX4 suspension, wheels and tires in line with the OP's question.
Why would you ditch the wheels? It's pretty hard to find the correct offset for a Ranger on taller tires (+30) in the aftermarket. And aftermarket wheels are almost always lower quality than stock. Just add a one inch spacer front and rear and everything lines up appropriately.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Why would you ditch the wheels? It's pretty hard to find the correct offset for a Ranger on taller tires (+30) in the aftermarket. And aftermarket wheels are almost always lower quality than stock. Just add a one inch spacer front and rear and everything lines up appropriately.
If I were building a true Ranger-based off-road beast, I would probably ditch the wheels for bead lock wheels.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase

2) It looks cool. ?

I echo the above. Nicely put Mark.

One thing that gets missed is the traction control has also been recalibrated for the Tremor.

Oh, also, nice looking truck! ?

Frank

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
If I were building a true Ranger-based off-road beast, I would probably ditch the wheels for bead lock wheels.
Yep, the stock wheels would find the "for sale" pile if building a beast. Just watching the KOH live on Youtube in the background, haven't seen one ride with stock wheels on it yet.

Beadlock all the things.

RY6RVzy.jpg

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
I echo the above. Nicely put Mark.

One thing that gets missed is the traction control has also been recalibrated for the Tremor.

Oh, also, nice looking truck! ?

Frank
Yeah, you don't want beadlock on anything with a license plate. They're heavy, difficult to balance, and take a ton of maintenance.

Racing and/or crawling are not adequate stand ins for real world use. You'd be decreasing performance and useabilty in 99 percent of circumstances.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
Yeah, you don't want beadlock on anything with a license plate. They're heavy, difficult to balance, and take a ton of maintenance.

Racing and/or crawling are not adequate stand ins for real world use. You'd be decreasing performance and useabilty in 99 percent of circumstances.

Funny the kids down at Americas Tire had no problems balancing mine, Maintenance consists of checking the torque on the bolts every couple of thousand miles, how exactly is that a "TON" , 3 minutes a wheel maybe. Jeep rolls down the freeway at 80mph smooth as a babies butt getting an amazing 15mpg.:LOL:

Crawling and racing IS real world use, maybe not your world. Hell I'd commute in it with no problems, it's a good driving functional vehicle. Thankfully A. I don't have to work anymore and B. if I need to pound out some miles on the road, we're taking the wifes car....that gets 20mpg.

PO1fHS0.jpg

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Maybe I've been drinking, ok, not maybe... But does the drivers side front wheel on that Jeep look like it's AHEAD of the passengers front tire?

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Funny the kids down at Americas Tire had no problems balancing mine, Maintenance consists of checking the torque on the bolts every couple of thousand miles, how exactly is that a "TON" , 3 minutes a wheel maybe. Jeep rolls down the freeway at 80mph smooth as a babies butt getting an amazing 15mpg.:LOL:

Crawling and racing IS real world use, maybe not your world. Hell I'd commute in it with no problems, it's a good driving functional vehicle. Thankfully A. I don't have to work anymore and B. if I need to pound out some miles on the road, we're taking the wifes car....that gets 20mpg.

PO1fHS0.jpg
It's a jeep thing, I wouldn't understand.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
It's a jeep thing, I wouldn't understand.
You're they guy saying spacers are better than aftermarket wheels ( because it's hard to pick out good ones ), You could probably just take the " It's a Jeep thing " off your statement and I'll agree with you.
Sponsored