Who's running a downpipe?

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
OK, pay attention if you order. I meant to order the one I could clamp on and accidentally ordered the one that is for welding. Knucklehead move there. Anyway, I still clamped it, but had to cut notches into the pipe-ends of the resonator to allow it to compress with the clamps. See https://www.borla.com/products/universal-resonators/ Then you want part # 401338 to weld on or part number 401342 to clamp on. Put it on the pipe between the downpipe and the catback.

The second picture shows how much of the pipe I cut out. I can't remember what the measurement was, but it should be at least the length of the larger resonator section but less than the total length of the whole unit. You need some of the pipe left to clamp on or weld to.

It is a pretty quick job. It just cuts the edge off the sound a bit without sacrificing the power. I called Borla before I put this on and they said it would not affect the power and that you can put as many of those on as you want.

I started with one and it has worked for me. However, I did just install the CR Performance turbo upgrade and it is a bit louder again now. Maybe I will get another. But I'll wait a bit. Note that you want the 2.75 inch to work with the factory pipe. If you want to go with 3 inch, you will need to change the connection to the downpipe.

Let me know if you have any more questions or want a better picture.
9702EB96-F5CB-4005-9A37-0E99149EA335_1_105_c.jpeg

7C4108D7-5289-4777-A0D1-5865160667C9_1_105_c.jpeg
Part number 401342 is for a 2.75 inch inlet outlet exhaust. My stock exhaust is a 2.5 inch od between muffler and flex pipe which is where the resonator would be mounted. Am i missing something or do we have different stock exhausts?
Sponsored

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
What exhaust are you running? I thought the available exhaust systems all terminate with a 2.5” connection to match the factory downpipe? I thought only SPD had a true 3” exhaust connection.
MBRP and you are correct, but I had the short 2 1/2" section cut off so I do have true 3".

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
After viewing the video with the catted downpipe I can definitely say that my catless is WAY louder when you mash the gas. Its amazing how much difference a cat can make even being a high flow one.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the SPD carted stainless downpipe today.

My hands have paid the price, this was quite an install.

But this with aFe charge pipes, a cat back, CAI, and a Livernois tune running 93 octane is a symphony of boost, speed and whiiiishing sounds.

I am blown away, the truck HAS TO BE making close to 100hp more than stock.

Need to find me a dyno soon!

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Installed the SPD carted stainless downpipe today.

My hands have paid the price, this was quite an install.

But this with aFe charge pipes, a cat back, CAI, and a Livernois tune running 93 octane is a symphony of boost, speed and whiiiishing sounds.

I am blown away, the truck HAS TO BE making close to 100hp more than stock.

Need to find me a dyno soon!
Why did you run the down pipe ?

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why did you run the down pipe ?
Why? This is why.

1593821265904.jpeg

It’s both fast and a little louder. And a high flow down pipe is a no brainer for most bang for your buck on a turbo engine. You of course need a proper tune to compensate for the rear o2 sensor readings to take that higher flowing catalyst into account along with some other calibration changes to optimize performance further and it’s a noticeable difference.

But let’s wait for a dyno run on my end to see. ?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Just installed the SPD down pipe with high flow cat. Can definitely feel an increase in performance

It is a little louder now. Have it paired with a Gibson cat back

For some reason I couldn't get my video to upload

_Ian_

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have an unopened AFE catted downpipe for sale if anyone is interested, bought it before putting on the catback exhaust and I’m not looking to really go any louder. $500 shipped, feel free to PM me .

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have an unopened AFE catted downpipe for sale if anyone is interested, bought it before putting on the catback exhaust and I’m not looking to really go any louder. $500 shipped, feel free to PM me .
Make sure you post it in the Member Marketplace section of the forum too.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
With a catalytic converter

48-33028-hc_dc.1562363775.jpg
If I am reading this right, the red line is with the aFe DP. I'm seeing a drop in peak hp although it ramps up earlier in the RPM curve, but wow that torque gain is crazy. I suppose with other mods both could arc up a lot.

Clearly a tune would be mandated.

The 'problem' with this mod is that it begs for more extensive/expensive ones - freer flowing exhaust, turbo+intercooler system upgrade... which would mean a bigger throttle body, upgraded injectors and perhaps ignition changes (colder plugs, coil packs). 3 inch diameter from the upgraded turbo to the exhaust tip would be noisy. The saving grace is the under-900 RPM idle, otherwise it's rice.

From what I read from those with the Focus RS build ups, hp in the mid 400's is possible, and the all-important torque could be a real seatback compressor.

Reactions: Doc

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If I am reading this right, the red line is with the aFe DP. I'm seeing a drop in peak hp although it ramps up earlier in the RPM curve, but wow that torque gain is crazy. I suppose with other mods both could arc up a lot.

Clearly a tune would be mandated.

The 'problem' with this mod is that it begs for more extensive/expensive ones - freer flowing exhaust, turbo+intercooler system upgrade... which would mean a bigger throttle body, upgraded injectors and perhaps ignition changes (colder plugs, coil packs). 3 inch diameter from the upgraded turbo to the exhaust tip would be noisy. The saving grace is the under-900 RPM idle, otherwise it's rice.

From what I read from those with the Focus RS build ups, hp in the mid 400's is possible, and the all-important torque could be a real seatback compressor.
You can enjoy a very nice “middle ground” with my set up:
-Livernois tune 93
-Catted SPD downpipe
-aFe charge pipes
-Roush CAI
-Gibson cat back exhaust

The only thing I’d add to my setup is an upgraded Intercooler.

I was talking with another member on here named DevilDog1775 - who sold me his turbo after he had a donor one sent to CRP to become a higher flowing stage 3 turbo. He’s got everything I do, plus the upgraded turbo, plus an upgraded Intercooler and a 5 star tune running an E50 tune.

In his words he feels the truck Is basically a race engine now and pretty much is maxed out in that setup without the changing fuel/ air delivery systems, with his OBD reader is saying he’s making 475hp at the crank (only semi accurate of course, but still).

Doing all that he’s done and then adding a better fuel pump and throttle body is entering a realm where you’d be playing with fire pushing your block into such high boost and HP numbers.

So I’d aim for that middle ground I mentioned if you want to have a bit of fun AND peace of mind you’re not asking the engine to do anything it’s not able to.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
You can enjoy a very nice “middle ground” with my set up:
-Livernois tune 93
-Catted SPD downpipe
-aFe charge pipes
-Roush CAI
-Gibson cat back exhaust

The only thing I’d add to my setup is an upgraded Intercooler.

I was talking with another member on here named DevilDog1775 - who sold me his turbo after he had a donor one sent to CRP to become a higher flowing stage 3 turbo. He’s got everything I do, plus the upgraded turbo, plus an upgraded Intercooler and a 5 star tune running an E50 tune.

In his words he feels the truck Is basically a race engine now and pretty much is maxed out in that setup without the changing fuel/ air delivery systems, with his OBD reader is saying he’s making 475hp at the crank (only semi accurate of course, but still).

Doing all that he’s done and then adding a better fuel pump and throttle body is entering a realm where you’d be playing with fire pushing your block into such high boost and HP numbers.

So I’d aim for that middle ground I mentioned if you want to have a bit of fun AND peace of mind you’re not asking the engine to do anything it’s not able to.
All things considered I think I'm pretty much where I want to be in tuning the motor.

The exception is waiting to see what the Mishimoto charge pipes look like performance and cost wise.

Then I'm done. Swear.

Next is handling.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
What did y'all do with the factory DP and exhaust?