First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Occupation
IT
If you are what brand? Any CEL issues, rattles or buzzing?

From all the turbo vehicles I have owned a DP always seems to be one of the best bolt ons when it comes to bang for the buck. Is it the same with the Ranger? I have yet to see a dyno graph or any manufacturer claims from any of them.
Sponsored

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

From all the turbo vehicles I have owned a DP always seems to be one of the best bolt ons when it comes to bang for the buck. Is it the same with the Ranger? I have yet to see a dyno graph or any manufacturer claims from any of them.
I am using the Stainless Catted Downpipe from SPD Performace and have experienced no rattles or buzz, nor has it thrown any engine codes. I also added full 3in exhaust to the way back with a Magnaflow 11219 muffler. I have seen 2 to 3mpg difference in the city as long as I keep my foot out of it. It seems to give a noticeable performance difference right away. I plan on taking it to the local drag track and getting some pre-tune baseline data as the nearest dyno is 2hrs away, just as soon as that Roush intake arrives.

My experience is the same as the others mentioned previously here.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/afe-vs-spd-downpipes.4789/

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??

With a catalytic converter

48-33028-hc_dc.1562363775.jpg

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
With a catalytic converter

48-33028-hc_dc.1562363775.jpg
I looked at this prior to ordering, but appears to be a different tune file so I am not sure how much is the DP and how much is the tune.
The reason I went with the SPD was the fact that it comes out at 3" where the aFe Power DP comes out at 2.5" designed to mate with the factory exhaust. I didn't see the point of adding the DP and high flow cat only to choke it out with the factory exhaust pipe.

OP
OP

Doublestack00

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Occupation
IT
I looked at this prior to ordering, but appears to be a different tune file so I am not sure how much is the DP and how much is the tune.
The reason I went with the SPD was the fact that it comes out at 3" where the aFe Power DP comes out at 2.5" designed to mate with the factory exhaust. I didn't see the point of adding the DP and high flow cat only to choke it out with the factory exhaust pipe.

Depends on goals and what you plan to do with your truck I guess. I am running the AFE on my current car and they also ran a slightly smaller size than some other brands. I never planned to run anything other than it exhaust wise and I wanted the car to stay quiet. On my 1.5 it gains some where around 10/15 with out a tune. I would think on the Ranger you'd gain at least that as well.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
SPD dp and flow fx exhaust. No cel or rattles. Loud as fck though. With just the dp I could hear the turbo spool pretty good. With the exhaust its muffled

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I went ahead and added the 3" cat back with a Magnaflow 11219. I really like the sound it puts out. Very subdued, but when you call on it you can tell it is something a little special.

But my main point was that although I know very little about reading dyno charts the aFe Dyno Results do not appear to be running the same Tune File. In fact the name of the file appears to indicate an aFe quantum intake was installed as well.

Someone should reach out to aFe Power and verify that.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
This is good to know. Is the SPD 3" outlet flange a standard pipe without a flange?

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
I am teetering on that middle ground of where I cannot seem to decide which pipe to purchase. I have the charge pipes from AFE and they are extremely well made, but no experience with SPD. They appear to be using different cats but state that they are both 400 cell items. They also are both using 304 series stainless. The SPD looks to have a smoother flow design from the mounting flange. Modern day problems ......

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
SPD dp and flow fx exhaust. No cel or rattles. Loud as fck though. With just the dp I could hear the turbo spool pretty good. With the exhaust its muffled
I did the same thing originally, and it was unbearable running anything over 2k RPM. I swapped out that $40 FlowFX straight through for a Magnaflow 11219 and could not be happier.

Reactions: Doc

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
I did the same thing originally, and it was unbearable running anything over 2k RPM. I swapped out that $40 FlowFX straight through for a Magnaflow 11219 and could not be happier.
It is louder than I expected but I can live with it and getting anything shipped to Hawaii is a hassle so I'm in no rush to try a different exhaust

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The AFE catted down pipe works great for me. I have it with the AFE intake tubes, a Levels Performance intercooler, CR Performance turbo, and Borla S-Type dual pipe exhaust. It was super loud, so I added a Borla resonator that took the edge off the sound but it is still plenty loud and no power hit from that. Anyway, the power is there and when I load a tune it is super intense. I am doubtful there would be much if any noticeable difference between the down pipes, although if you got cat-less, maybe. But then you might have the check engine light battle. Anyway, I like the AFE catted down pipe and I have had no check engine lights.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Since I already have the Borla system, I pretty much believe it will sound a lot like my Focus ST which has the same modifications. I have the Livernois tune on it's way this week and from your reccomendation and my experience with AFE, I will most likely go with their downpipe.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you find the noise to be a bit much, let me know and I can figure out the model number on the Borla resonator I used. It pretty much eliminated the backfires on on deceleration and cut the rest of the noise sufficiently where my wife will ride in my truck again. However, the turbo, which I just added this weekend, seems to have increased the sound again. Oh man.... this is a fun truck!
GREAT! I have to agree, Ford did a nice job on this truck. I am a HUGE Ecoboost fan, so I was really excited when I bought mine and started on it a week after I bought it. I have owned mine almost 5 months and I'm still smiling

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I am teetering on that middle ground of where I cannot seem to decide which pipe to purchase. I have the charge pipes from AFE and they are extremely well made, but no experience with SPD. They appear to be using different cats but state that they are both 400 cell items. They also are both using 304 series stainless. The SPD looks to have a smoother flow design from the mounting flange. Modern day problems ......
I opted for the SPD stainless as soon as it was released. The main reason is because it appears to me that the AFE drops down to 2 1/2” after the cat and requires a flange to bring it back up to 3”. The SPD on the other hand is all 3” and requires a flange to drop down to 2 1/2”. I obviously wanted little to no restriction going into my 3” exhaust.
7496C7C3-0C16-424D-895C-2FF1DEF63655.jpeg
Sponsored