First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
This is the one, an AutoZone out by me had it oddly enough. 3" in 3" out, 6" can and 18" in length. I installed a custom 3" midpipe so this fit right in the middle. There's no cuts to clamp it so I threw some lap bands on for long enough until I knew it was what I liked best, then brought it to a shop to weld it.

https://www.autozone.com/exhaust/pe...5CVxAK3R9FpYrPIljlxoCWH0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
So do you think if I keep the Borla and add Magnaflow it will quiet down a little or a lot? I wouldn't mind the same just a little less decibels... thanks
Sponsored

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
So do you think if I keep the Borla and add Magnaflow it will quiet down a little or a lot? I wouldn't mind the same just a little less decibels... thanks
I installed and re installed a lot of mufflers/resonators so I can give you my experience for sure.

Is the Borla muffler that you're referring to the one that came with your exhaust? Or do you have a an extra little resonator/muffler installed between the downpipe and your Borla catback (in the midpipe)?

OP
OP

DranC

First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
I installed and re installed a lot of mufflers/resonators so I can give you my experience for sure.

Is the Borla muffler that you're referring to the one that came with your exhaust? Or do you have a an extra little resonator/muffler installed between the downpipe and your Borla catback (in the midpipe)?
I added the Borla Catback S-Type exhaust replacing the OEM. The came the SPD Downpipe. Nothing else has been added.

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I added the Borla Catback S-Type exhaust replacing the OEM. The came the SPD Downpipe. Nothing else has been added.
Gotcha. I would keep what you have with your borla exhaust and add another resonator/muffler in the midpipe if you want to take the edge off. You might like the Borla resonator I tried first. It kept it aggressive, choppy, and reduced volume by a few notches. But sounded mean when you juice it. For me it was still a bit too loud/droney for my applications which is why I went with the magnaflow muffler but I did love it. I also tried a Glasspack, that was a waste of money. Link to the Borla resonator below.

Borla Resonator - https://www.borla.com/products/universal-resonator-401343

Swapping to the magnaflow muffler was perfect for me because it killed 90% of the drone, kept it mean, and brought the exhaust a couple notes deeper. I love it but it drops the noise significantly - if you don't want that, would recommend the link above. That one is a 3" so just FYI if your midpipe is 2.5". I have some videos of these two setups if you're curios

OP
OP

DranC

First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
Gotcha. I would keep what you have with your borla exhaust and add another resonator/muffler in the midpipe if you want to take the edge off. You might like the Borla resonator I tried first. It kept it aggressive, choppy, and reduced volume by a few notches. But sounded mean when you juice it. For me it was still a bit too loud/droney for my applications which is why I went with the magnaflow muffler but I did love it. I also tried a Glasspack, that was a waste of money. Link to the Borla resonator below.

Borla Resonator - https://www.borla.com/products/universal-resonator-401343

Swapping to the magnaflow muffler was perfect for me because it killed 90% of the drone, kept it mean, and brought the exhaust a couple notes deeper. I love it but it drops the noise significantly - if you don't want that, would recommend the link above. That one is a 3" so just FYI if your midpipe is 2.5". I have some videos of these two setups if you're curios
Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom/experience. I kept with the 2.5" midpipe connection and I see that Borla has 3" and 2.75". So 2.75" then I'm thinking?

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom/experience. I kept with the 2.5" midpipe connection and I see that Borla has 3" and 2.75". So 2.75" then I'm thinking?
Of course! Probably 2.75". Because it's not exact you could:

Let an exhaust shop figure it out.

Clamp it TF down to see if you can get it tight over your 2.5" pipe or use lap band clamps to cover the loose connections

Get an exhaust reducer set that's 2.75 to 2.5. These can be tricky because you may need a 2.75 OD to 2.5 ID which can be hard to find. Worst case get whatever 2.75 to 2.5 you can find and rent a pipe expander from oreilly to morph that to fit how you need it to. Depends how hard you want to work LOL.

No one said this stuff was easy 🤣
Sponsored