Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I solved any performance issues with this!! No power loss above 5,000. The truck still does perfect on the beach and in the deer woods.

C0598C39-3263-49AF-8E06-F7FBAA01C6BB.jpeg
Hi HC,

How long is the pickup box on that one?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Skeletor

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
AFE CATTED DP, BORLA TYPE S, ROUSH CAI, LIVERNOIS 93 TUNE

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Mine was 2 3/4 OD
I’ve currently got the MBRP Cat back dual split exhaust and just ordered the SPD downpipe. @DevilDog1775 - Would you say that the quality of sound after the added resonator was better than without it? I know you said it was quieter and cut the edge off but for someone who simply wants the best quality sound with some nice rumble beyond just the added exhaust, what would you recommend? I’m more about quality than loud factor and don’t want to hate my daily driving with the wife but wouldn’t complain about a little added rumble with the performance gains. Thanks!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Finally got the moving video done and put up. I don't welcome ricer/lawnmower comments. :)

This is an awesome vid. To me it proves a rear-facing exhaust could be more beneficial. Under heavy acceleration, you can see the pipe flex inward. That is exhaust forces. That is wasted energy that, if facing rearward could give a slight edge. It could be pushing forward.

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
This is an awesome vid. To me it proves a rear-facing exhaust could be more beneficial. Under heavy acceleration, you can see the pipe flex inward. That is exhaust forces. That is wasted energy that, if facing rearward could give a slight edge. It could be pushing forward.
Good point. Agreed, great vid. And great sound IMO for the 4 banger. I do love the look of a side exit exhaust, but I went with the dual split rear facing exhaust and have been really happy with the performance gains (measured by my butt dyno). It was my only thought on purchase that it would mean less restricted airflow with both pipes straight out the back. Nothing I’ve measured but gotta think Physics plays a part

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
The downpipe made it louder. I added a Borla muffler and that took the edge off but it was still loud. So I added a second. I spoke with Borla and the loudness was really the downpipe. They said a pass through muffler of the same pipe size will not reduce flow. So now power loss. My setup sounds really nice now with no backfires and a good rumble.
Great, thank you. I think I’m going to end up wanting that extra resonator. Appreciate the thoughts!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
That flex has nothing to do with exhaust pressure.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Great, thank you. I think I’m going to end up wanting that extra resonator. Appreciate the thoughts!
For a resonator with my downpipe setup I used a Thrush Magnum Glasspack. These are perforated core glass packs vs louvered like Cherry Bombs are, so you get smooth, straight through flow. You can order cheap via Amazon or the major part stores. just search the part number on their respective sites.

Classic red:

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffl...sh-glasspack-muffler-center-center-24242.html

Polished stainless:

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffl...sh-glasspack-muffler-center-center-24241.html

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
For a resonator with my downpipe setup I used a Thrush Magnum Glasspack. These are perforated core glass packs vs louvered like Cherry Bombs are, so you get smooth, straight through flow. You can order cheap via Amazon or the major part stores. just search the part number on their respective sites.

Classic red:

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffl...sh-glasspack-muffler-center-center-24242.html

Polished stainless:

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffl...sh-glasspack-muffler-center-center-24241.html
Oooh I’ve heard of these. I think if I’m right, they sort of knock back any drone and maintain whatever good quality noise? I’d love to see a video of your exhaust if you have one. I’ll bet you have a pretty good dual tone.

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
A resonator should help I think. I have a MBRP stainless 3" catback (NO res. only muffler) and the sound was moderate before the DP install. After DP, it's quite loud but it sounds fantastic IMO. I do owe you guys a sound clip so I'll try to get out and get that today and posted to Youtube if the rain holds off. The cat on the DP is good and broken in now so the sound should be a good real-world indication for you guys. FWIW, everyone that hears it says yea, it's a little loud but the sound is fantastic and I agree.
Are you running a tune with your setup? Any check engine lights?
Sponsored