First Name
Scoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew
Occupation
IT Support Technician
So... realized from reading here there's a Sport mode.
I love the torque! And now that I've found the Sport mode.. if it will ever stop raining I may go out and flog her a bit!
Sponsored

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I maybe dating myself with the title - but there are times I like to drop the shifter to S - and when the light goes green - drive like I stole the truck. This truck just gets up and moves very quickly and you get to see the beauty of this powertrain - that transmission takes you right to redline and then shifts so smoothly. I do like that - MPG be damned
Not me, at least not yet.
I'm still around 900 mi, and I believe in avoiding high revs for a bit longer. But I have goosed it up to 4K a few times just to appreciate that Ecoboost torque,and help the rings seat.

Now, I'm a bit of a conservative codger. My theory is any engine has a lifetime limit of revs before it needs open heart surgery. Cylinder and ring wear, con rod and main bearing wear, etc. So I avoid getting close to 4K rpm by pedal up or paddle shifting. With the Ranger our family now has 3 of 4 turbo vehicles. The thing I love about turbos is the torque reaches it's max or close around 2.5K. So aggressively pushing it to 3500-3700 rpm before up shifting gives me plenty of scat with moderate engine revs.

I also believe the forced upshifts prolong the tranny clutches. There is less torque differential and energy absorbed with a power-off upshift. I retired my last two vehicles at 21 yrs, around 200K mi. The power trains were fine. Rust took them out.

Last edited:

BrianEvens

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm definitely guilty of this. I've only had the Ranger Lariat for a little over a month, but like so many others here I went batsh*t on it, right out of the gate; along with installing the whole Fox Suspension system, I had my dealer install the Roush intake. I also hacked off the muffler completely, upgraded to an aFe inter-cooler, installed the dual port BOV, and finally topped it all off the a Pedal Commander (rather than a full tune). It's nuts how quick this rig is now....so I'm dropping it in "S" all the time. I previously had a 2013 Raptor, so I'm used to having terrible MPG...meaning that even with the potential for lower MPG from the Ranger when I'm lettin' 'er rip, it's still better than what I was getting before.
Let 'er rip, tater chip!:like:

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
I put a mild tune on mine and now my mpg has dropped under 20 lol. I'm trying not to beat the hell out of it but it's hilarious how quick it feels.

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I’m giving her all she’s got Captain!

It was actually really smooth and mellow getting there and maintaining speed. felt like I was going 60.

Also noted that cruise control will max out at 110...:sunglasses:

8E1832A1-7A0F-4308-8B91-3F40267F1314.jpeg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

It was actually really smooth and mellow getting there and maintaining speed. felt like I was going 60.

I can see it now...But officer, I was just trying to get a picture to post on the Ranger5G forum.lol :LOL::LOL:

AirborneRanger

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Cobra SCJ, 19 Ranger FX4
Occupation
11B4V
I can see it now...But officer, I was just trying to get a picture to post on the Ranger5G forum.lol :LOL::LOL:
Hope there's 2 hands on the wheel at that speed!
I myself am guilty of driving speed limit and only speed limit. Ive found through 8 speeding tickets, 2 wreckless endangerment tickets and a street racing ticket that it weighs heavy on the wallet. The nicer I drive the more mpg I get which equals to more money in my pocket. Plus I dont have to worry about anything breaking or cops.

BrianEvens

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I myself am guilty of driving speed limit and only speed limit. Ive found through 8 speeding tickets, 2 wreckless endangerment tickets and a street racing ticket that it weighs heavy on the wallet. The nicer I drive the more mpg I get which equals to more money in my pocket. Plus I dont have to worry about anything breaking or cops.
Dang dude! "I want to be an airborne ranger; I want to live a life of danger!"...indeed! :rockon:hahaha

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer

Pretty easy to get to that governed limit but fun sometimes...The music playing on the side there, am I missing a function on the xm radio to display that info?

Looking forward to the chance to finally take mine to the quarter mile track this summer!

Reactions: Doc

Phik

First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
It's no match for a real performance car, but it beats any average commuter-mobile, even the 'sporty' ones.
I took it on the autobahn a few times when I was stationed over there and it surprised all the BMWs, of course, they flew past me once they recovered from their surprise, but it was funny to throw them for a loop. They are used to seeing gutless diesel Rangers, and their 10 second 60 times.

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty easy to get to that governed limit but fun sometimes...The music playing on the side there, am I missing a function on the xm radio to display that info?

Looking forward to the chance to finally take mine to the quarter mile track this summer!
Running Apple car play which shows songs on the right side, I think XM does that too but not sure, Hardly ever use XM...

Super easy to get there, Was on a long straight 10+ miles with no one insight doing 80 and just gave it a little more throttle and was doing 110 just like that! was probably less than 1/4 throttle. lol

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
2 hands, LOL yea something like that. :sunglasses:

Sounds like you are not very good at watching for cops when driving! :LOL:

Enitan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
I live 1 mile up a 11° hill according to my off-road sensors. There’s a bridge 1/3 (start of bridge) ending at about 1/2 mile up it.... every time on a fresh fill I open er right up and let the horses run. Best run so far is 82mph up the incline as tears go from bridge to road.

Two things about this truck I’ve learned:
1) she loves premium
2) she loves when you stomp on the gas pedal